Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By b430m
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By b430m
  • 2 Post By Yelta

Thread: Lack of flow thru group

Lack of flow thru group

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I'm having problems with my beloved coffee machine. It was working fine yesterday but today decided not to push water through the group. The pump seems to be working ok and it builds up pressure on the gauge but the water flow bypasses back into the tank.
    ive attached a photo that shows a leak between the piece of brass that is attached to the pump and a plastic bit.
    Obviously this is probably causing the problem. Is this a common part and can it be replaced simply, or should I go out and buy myself a new lever machine?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you let us know the make of the machine?

Looks to me as though the plastic may have developed a crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Can you let us know the make of the machine?

Looks to me as though the plastic may have developed a crack.
    Its a DB Quick Mill 67, bought through one of the site sponsors.

Why not give the people you bought it from a call, looks like a nice machine, I imagine the part would be easy enough to buy and replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Why not give the people you bought it from a call, looks like a nice machine, I imagine the part would be easy enough to buy and replace.
    Thanks Yelta, have contacted the Australian distributor, thought it would be quicker through them than the people I bought it from.

Quote Originally Posted by b430m View Post
    Thanks Yelta, have contacted the Australian distributor, thought it would be quicker through them than the people I bought it from.
    Sounds like the way to go.

This is a easy repair/adjustment. Even if you need a new bypass installed it's an inexpensive part.

Quick Mill pump pressure regulator/bypass. Probably about $35.00 or so.

Is it an OPV? can't believe it's made of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    Quick Mill pump pressure regulator/bypass. Probably about $35.00 or so.
    Thanks for that, where can I buy one?

Enquire here with one of the CS sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    Enquire here with one of the CS sponsors.
    Thanks, have done.
    Michael
    sprezzatura likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by symphonie View Post
    Is it an OPV? can't believe it's made of plastic.
    Yes: and you have to be careful when you screw the fine threaded end into the pump outlet. I use a few drops of Loxseal 58:11 to prevent leaking.

An update on my problem.
    i have fixed the leak, the plastic part wasn't crack it just needed a cleanup and some fresh thread seal. However I still have a problem with lack of pressure. When I use the solid flushing screen in the group it will build up pressure but not to the extent that it use to to make the squealing sound, I've also noticed that there is a lot of water being bypassed back into the tank. The tube that leads back to the tank is attached to the brass fitting between the pump and the plastic part which was leaking. I've looked at the parts list for the machine but it doesn't tell me what that part is it only give a part number.
    Would somebody like to tell me what this part does and if it would be the cause of the problem.
    The photo of the part appears in the original post.

Do you have a new OPV as yet?
    As "sprezzatura" pointed out above, this can be replaced easily and is likely the main issue...

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Do you have a new OPV as yet?
    As "sprezzatura" pointed out above, this can be replaced easily and is likely the main issue...

Mal.
    Hi Dimal, if the plastic part is the OPV no I don't. I now believe it's the brass fitting between the pump and the plastic part which I think is the priming valve, correct me if I'm wrong.
    I took the plastic part off, the OPV? (which I thought must have been cracked because it was leaking), cleaned it up and screwed it back in with some sealant, the leak has now gone but there is still back flow into the tank as soon as the pressure starts to build up.
    If it is the Primer Valve can they be disassembled and cleaned or does it need to be replaced?

Out of interest....

Does the Leva on the side of the Group still feel normal in its operation? That is, you can feel the internal valves being operated by the Leva Cam?
    If your machine has a Brew Pressure Gauge, does this indicate normal pressure when the pump is running?

I'm not familiar with your specific machine but in general, the OPV (Over Pressure Valve) is that component that has the water return line heading back into the water reservoir. If this is stuck open or a bit of foreign matter has become lodged in the valve seat, water will be continually redirected to the reservoir.

I'll leave it to those familiar with your machine to make any further suggestions...

Mal.

Mal is as ever the diplomat.

My feeling is it's time to take the machine to someone who knows what their doing, notice your in Adelaide, these people are pretty switched on.
    Complete Cafe Services 45 Charles Street Unley, Phone08 8338 0600
    Last edited by Yelta; 21st July 2016 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Removed Commercial Link(s)
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks Mal and Yelta, I have taken the brass fitting apart (OPV) and given it a good clean out, put it back together and I'll give it another try when the sealant has had time to set. If it still leaks I'll take it down to CCS.
    Last edited by b430m; 21st July 2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: removed commercial name

Just a quick update on my machine.
    Apparently the only major problem was fixed by me by removing the leaky part, applying some sealer and putting it back together. The plastic or nylon part in the photo is actually a diaphragm that reduces the noise of the pump.
    i did take the machine to the service department as per Yelta's suggestion, I dropped it off at 10:00am on the Friday and they called me at 2:00pm to let me know it was ready to pick up, excellent service.
    All they had to do was a general service, adjusted the steam boiler temp and the pump pressure via the (brass) OPV, not what I originally thought was the brass fitting attached to the nylon fitting. They also pulled the E61 apart changed some washers and gave it a lube and now it's working as good as new.
    Thanks again Yelta for pointing me in the right direction, I would certainly recommend them to anybody looking to have some repairs done.
    The only downside to going there is seeing all the new shiny machines, they had a lovely Profitec Pro 700 waiting for someone to take home!
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by b430m View Post
    Just a quick update on my machine.
    Apparently the only major problem was fixed by me by removing the leaky part, applying some sealer and putting it back together. The plastic or nylon part in the photo is actually a diaphragm that reduces the noise of the pump.
    i did take the machine to the service department as per Yelta's suggestion, I dropped it off at 10:00am on the Friday and they called me at 2:00pm to let me know it was ready to pick up, excellent service.
    All they had to do was a general service, adjusted the steam boiler temp and the pump pressure via the (brass) OPV, not what I originally thought was the brass fitting attached to the nylon fitting. They also pulled the E61 apart changed some washers and gave it a lube and now it's working as good as new.
    Thanks again Yelta for pointing me in the right direction, I would certainly recommend them to anybody looking to have some repairs done.
    The only downside to going there is seeing all the new shiny machines, they had a lovely Profitec Pro 700 waiting for someone to take home!
    Well done, good outcome.
    Dimal and sprezzatura like this.