Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree409Likes

Thread: Profitec Pro 500

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This is what pressure I was steaming at this morning. This is after discharging maybe 75mls hot water to preheat a cup, then pulling a shot and opening the steam valve. Went straight down to below 0.5. The machine had sat idle for over an hour so should have been ready for business.
    Attached Images Attached Images

G'day "crazyhakins"...

Did you buy your machine new or as used?
    Only asking because, if it has been a while since serviced by a reputable technical workshop, the machine could maybe do with a thorough going over.

Mal.
    Last edited by Dimal; 14th September 2018 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    G'day "crazyhakins"...

Did you buy your machine new or as used?
    Only asking because, if it has been a while since serviced by a reputable technical, the machine could maybe do with a thorough going over.

Mal.
    Hi Mal,

It’s new to me. Was bought as a refurb. Its about 3 years old. Im going to try altering the pressure stat to see if that yields any improvement. I have my doubts. Will keep the community update in case any other P500 users encounter this issue.
    Dimal likes this.

Once the steam pressure gets up to where it’s supposed to and the pressure stat kicks off, should it hold that pressure? Or is it normal to then slide down from say 1.3 to 1.0 and then hover there?

The Pstat has two control points: one (the higher pressure) where it turns the heater off and one (the lower pressure) where it turns the heater on again.

Normal behaviour is to heat to the top point, slowly* cool back the the lower point, quickly* heat back to the top point, repeat. The area between the control points is called the dead band.

* How slowly it cools depends on the thermal mass and the insulation of the boiler. How quickly it heats depends on the thermal mass and the output of the heater.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhakins View Post
    Once the steam pressure gets up to where itís supposed to and the pressure stat kicks off, should it hold that pressure? Or is it normal to then slide down from say 1.3 to 1.0 and then hover there?
    I'm currently running two machines that use P'stats and they both have a dead band of 0.2 bar.
    They never hover, but constantly fluctuate between min and max.
    As Lyrebird said above, they fairly quickly climb to their peak pressure, then gradually drop, until the switch operates and they rise again, and so on.
    A while back one of them was fluctuating by nearly 0.4 bar min/max so I replaced the P'stat, whereupon it went back to the 0.2 bar band again.

This is what pressure I was steaming at this morning. This is after discharging maybe 75mls hot water to preheat a cup,
    There’s your problem. Pulling hot water from the boiler immediately kills the pressure.

That's not to say don't use the boiler water to preheat the cups. It's a great idea and it's good for your machine. The issue is the timing of the work sequence.

If you draw water from the hot water wand, the machine will replenish the water level with cold water. This is kryptonite to boiler pressure (as you've discovered). After drawing off the hot water, allow the machine a solid 2 minutes to recover full steam pressure and you should be good.
    Last edited by herzog; 17th September 2018 at 11:03 AM.
    robusto likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    Thereís your problem. Pulling hot water from the boiler immediately kills the pressure.
    YES! After pulling hot water from the boiler the machine definitely needs a little time to get back to full pressure. You got it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Grillsy View Post
    YES! After pulling hot water from the boiler the machine definitely needs a little time to get back to full pressure. You got it now!
    Im rarely using the hot water wand as the cups preheat on the top of the machine. I’m mainly just pulling shots and I find even after one shot, no flushing, the steam struggles and quickly drops out of the optimum pressure. It seems my machine wants to be a single boiler! It’s under warranty, I’ve asked it to be fixed.

Hey mate, have just filmed my Profitec Pro 500 gauge just to show you how mine goes during steaming as a reference. It's filmed at an angle but you can still sorta see

Oh and it was steaming for just one latte (150ml milk or so??)

https://youtu.be/7ac6Bi2MgyY
    BangalowBarista likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsk8r View Post
    Hey mate, have just filmed my Profitec Pro 500 gauge just to show you how mine goes during steaming as a reference. It's filmed at an angle but you can still sorta see

That’s what I want mine to do - maintain steam pressure through milk texturing. Mine is rolling off down to 0.6 or 0.5.

Hi Mal,

Itís new to me. Was bought as a refurb. Its about 3 years old. Im going to try altering the pressure stat to see if that yields any improvement. I have my doubts. Will keep the community update in case any other P500 users encounter this issue.
    I agree with Mal on this. If the machine now does what it didn't do before, it is either a fault or a maintenance issue. If it was my machine, I wouldn't consider adjusting anything but would whip it off to a qualified service technician for diagnosis. If it hasn't been serviced in the 3 years you have owned it then it is overdue.
    Dimal and beensean like this.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsk8r View Post

Was that after pulling a shot?

Was that after pulling a shot?
    Yeah it was. I never steam while the shot is extracting, love watching the shot . So yeah I pulled the shot, knocked out the puck, flushed the group for 2-3 seconds, purged the wand and steamed.

Could someone recommend a tech in Melbourne? I’m in the outer east.

Have been doing a lot of research and thinking of picking one of these machines up soon to upgrade from an old Sunbeam Cafe Crema machine, seems really well made and good value for money compared to other machines. I have seen it advertised for $2799 inc delivery but I may wait for an eBay sitewide discount.

Quote Originally Posted by javameister View Post
    Have been doing a lot of research and thinking of picking one of these machines up soon to upgrade from an old Sunbeam Cafe Crema machine, seems really well made and good value for money compared to other machines. I have seen it advertised for $2799 inc delivery but I may wait for an eBay sitewide discount.
    This post has a familiar ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by javameister View Post
    You may be better off buying from a reputable seller who you can count on for back-up, service and any possible warranty issues. One of the regular Profitec sellers on Ebay puts his prices up when a valid discount appears so you're always paying the same.

Use the CoffeeSnobs quote form to see if one of the site sponsors can give you a price you're happy with.

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forms.php?do=form&fid=1

I think you'd be better off in the long run using one of these coffee professionals.

Just picked one up from Di Bartoli. Been doing loads of research and finally settled on this one, big investment but looking forward to many years of enjoyment
    Sticking with EM0480 grinder for now but will probably end up upgrading sooner or later.
    Brewster, Dimal and 338 like this.

I know that I'm responding to a post from 2017, but I am about to buy a Pro500 PID from Jetblack. He confirmed for me that the Pro500 PID comes with a SS boiler. I'm not sure if this is only for the Australian market.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecinOz View Post
    I know that I'm responding to a post from 2017, but I am about to buy a Pro500 PID from Jetblack. He confirmed for me that the Pro500 PID comes with a SS boiler. I'm not sure if this is only for the Australian market.
    https://www.profitec-espresso.com/en/products/pro500

Looks like listed s/s boiler in Profitec website. Not market-specific.
    Dimal likes this.

I guess they changed it at some point? The post that I was commenting on had inquired about copper boilers on this machine. Post #163 from 2018 also mentions it. Anyway, I ordered a Pro500 PID today, from Ryan at Jetblack. Can't wait to take it for a spin!
    Dimal likes this.

When I bought mine in late 2015 it came with a copper boiler. Charlie from JB said to me that they spec'ed a copper boiler for the Oz market because after testing they found the HX system functioned better with a copper boiler that with a s/s one. It's possible that the PID model is different - the JB site doesn't say what the current boiler is made of.

For those interested, my copper boiler, non-PID model will be listed for sale in these pages soon, as a consequence of upgrademania forcing me to get a decent machine.

My new Pro 500 PID arrived a couple of days ago. No rattle issues from either the warming tray or the the drip tray. The vibration pump is very quiet, esp compared to my Silvia (V3).
    Brewster, Dimal and LauriG like this.

Blog Entries
    #### PLEASE NOTE ####

If some of this thread is unreadable and doesn't make sense it's because a very dodgy seller of these machines is still sooking about references to "dodgy" all these years later and still threatening legal action (for us telling the truth).

To shut the dodgy seller up I have removed all references to his common christian name which means a lot of posts were just deleted. We hate having to remove content but had little choice. Sorry.

#### IMPORTANT ####

Please only purchase these machines from a reputable seller and not from ebay/gumtree or whatever dodgy dot com the dodgy sellers hang-out.

Using the CoffeeSnobs Quote Form (linked top and bottom of the forum) will mean that your request for a quote is passed onto all our wonderful trusted site sponsors who not only sell the machines but provide expert service from a "real" business that will be there when you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    ...Please only purchase these machines from a reputable seller and not from ebay/gumtree or whatever dodgy dot com the dodgy sellers hang-out.
    Goes to prove that a "gazillion 5 wicket goggle reviews" (because of course people review milk jugs ) does not buy you a good reputation. Given a choice of cereals, I choose toast. Caveat emptor.
    cereal.jpg

After a couple of days getting acquainted with my new Pro 500 PID. I'm getting great results making flat whites (milk texturing took some practice). I've left the PID settings alone. The factory settings seem fine to me (120C). The machine is quiet (unlike my Silvia), and no rattling as some had mentioned from the warming tray and drip tray. Looks great too!
    IMG_4983.jpg IMG_4981.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AlecinOz; 8th August 2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: one of the pics is upside-down; needed to upload it again
    Brewster, Dimal, CafeLotta and 1 others like this.

Lovely setup Alec...

Mal.
    AlecinOz likes this.

FWIW I just wanted to post an update on my machine. In the end, it was really just getting used to a Hx machine and it's working quite fine and does well. I think at some stage I'll move up to a dual boiler machine, but do love my P500 and highly recommend it!
    Brewster and simonsk8r like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234