Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Jon81
  • 2 Post By coffee_machinist
  • 1 Post By coffee_machinist
  • 1 Post By Jon81

Thread: Buying first prosumer machine - ECM Rocket Giotto Premium

Buying first prosumer machine - ECM Rocket Giotto Premium

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, I'm new here and hoping to get some advice on purchasing my first prosumer machine. I've been using a Sunbeam Cafe series for the last 2 years and recently purchased a second hand Mazzer mini grinder (which has already made a big difference). Now I want to upgrade and get a prosumer model and have been looking around at different options. There is an ECM Giotto Premium machine being advertised second hand that I'm interested in. I'm just wondering what sort of things I should be looking for and checking out in this machine? Apparently it was purchased in 2010, was serviced and had a new group head seal put in 2013, but the owner says it has only pulled about 20 shots from it since then and it has been sitting around in his kitchen as "eye candy" for the last 3 years. The asking price is $1280. I've got a budget of up to $1500.00 for a machine (so can factor in some service or replacement of parts if needed - i.e. I wondered if perhaps the time of non-use might affect the seals and cause them to shrink or dry out too much?). Any help and thoughts (or other suggestions of machines if I'm barking up the wrong tree!) are much appreciated.

Hi and welcome

Is it Rocket or ECM? These are different companies. Rocket took over making the Giotto around 2009. Giotto of either badge are good machines that can make far superior coffee than your Sunbeam can

Group seals are quite cheap and easy to change so that is not a concern. Generally, they are changed annually.

Be very careful when buying second hand machines.
    Did the owner buy it brand new in 2010? Does he have receipts for the purchase and service in 2013? What maintenance did the owner carry out when it was in regular use eg regular backflush with espresso machine detergent at least once a month, does he use tap water or filtered water to fill the tank? See that it can heat up, dispense clean hot water and steam, hear the pump kick in when some hat water is poured. Get him to make you a cup or two.

You really need to get advice from someone who is familiar with coffee machines. It's hard for us to judge from behind a keyboard.

Thanks flynnaus. It's ECM Giotto Premium (I just checked). I'll ask him about the receipts and also re. his cleaning regime when he was using the machine and post his reponse. Is it worth trying to get it checked out by a professional technician before purchase?

Also is this price ($1280) what you'd expect to pay for this machine (given its age etc)?

Update: Heard back from the seller and he said that he doesn't have the receipt from purchase (as it is more than half a decade since he bought and wouldn't keep a receipt for that long). Also says he was back flushing daily when using it and thoroughly cleaned. The boiler was depressurised and emptied, and pump hoses were drained prior to it being put in storage.

Thanks Paul

If the current owner bought it in 2010, then he is at least the second owner. It *sounds* like it is well looked after. If the owner is happy to allow it to be checked over then good. The price sounds a bit high for a machine of this vintage (it would be at least 8 years old) but if it is in really good condition... I remember one of this site;s sponsors offering a thermostability upgrade because this machine ran a bit hot and needed a cooling flush before pulling a shot.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback & help. I didn't end up buying the machine, decided to wait until I get back to Brisbane in 4 weeks & then check out a few models in store before deciding what to go with. Can anyone suggest where I can go in Brisbane for advice & to see/try a few different models?
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Hi Jon, As someone who upgraded a few times (making a small profit on each machine) I totally understand wanting a great machine on a budget. I initially expected to purchase a secondhand machine when the time came, but a site sponsor gave me a really great deal on a Giove, which I now can't imagine life without. Sounds a bit silly, but the right machine will come along.

But, to answer your question Di Bella in Brisvegas is a great place to go look. They also usually (it's been a while since I've gone) set you up with beans, and a lesson on how to get the most out of your machine. Good luck - exciting times ahead!

Thanks Tashie. Yes, I'm thinking of going with a new machine now (unless I can be certain of a second hand one being well looked after and serviced). I've heard of Di Bella (I think my dad used to get his coffee beans from there), I didn't realise they also sold machines though, so that's good to know. From reading a lot of posts from other CSer's I gathered that it's definitely a good idea to be able to get hands on with a few machines first before making a final decision, so that's what I'm hoping to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon81 View Post
    Can anyone suggest where I can go in Brisbane for advice & to see/try a few different models?
    If you are on the Southside, there is a roaster & coffee bar in Underwood that has quite a lot of machines on display, but I'm not sure if you can actually try them.

Just to muddy the waters, I have a traded in Rocket Giotto Evo up for grabs as listed in my sponsors thread. I realise it's over your budget, but its alot of machine for the price and having been over it thoroughly, it's a solid bet. Second hand can be a minefield and that is a long time between drinks if it was last looked at in 2013, and they only deemed to change a group seal.
    Dimal and TC like this.

...and I didnt check to see whether you are local! Well, if you happen to be in Melbourne it could be worth a look.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon81 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your feedback & help. I didn't end up buying the machine, decided to wait until I get back to Brisbane in 4 weeks & then check out a few models in store before deciding what to go with. Can anyone suggest where I can go in Brisbane for advice & to see/try a few different models?
    CMS have just opened a new showroom at Newmarket/Wilston near Harries Diner. They have a few machines you can try out. Have a look at their website. I realise they aren't a sponsor like DiBella but another option nonetheless

Thanks deegee, coffee_machinist & Aido. coffee_machinist - I'm moving back to Brisbane in about 4 weeks (but not travelling via Melbourne at this stage). I'll have a look at the Rocket Giotto on your sponsors thread. Like everyone, I just want to make the right decision about buying a machine. I've come around more to the idea of buying new, in that I'll know exactly what I'm going to be getting for the $$ and of course it coming with a warranty etc. But if there is a pre-loved machine that has a verifiable good history of being looked after and serviced I'm open to it. Really appreciate the advice everyone, thanks again
    coffee_machinist likes this.