Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Boggas
  • 1 Post By Boggas

Thread: Buying Advice

Buying Advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello Snobbers,

I am looking for some help, and advice on a new purchase. We are going to be buying a new setup for my Father however, I have an obsession with HX machines and a consumer bias to go with it

What I want to do is lay down his needs and a budget and see what everyone thinks will be a suitable option, so here goes.

The Budget is $2000 +- 10%, that doesn't include the grinder which has its own budget.

He is a couple of coffees a day drinker primarily white, but will have a short black from time to time. His current machine is a Nemox single boiler (looks similar to a lelit to the untrained eye).

The reason for an upgrade is the single boiler drives him crazy, so the new machine must be able to steam milk while pouring a shot.

Due to easy availability of accessories a 58mm group head is preferable, doesn't necessarily have to be a traditional E61.

Over to you guys, keep the suggestions rolling!

I suggest you start with the site sponsor websites. There are a number of HX e61 espresso machines in your price range from Bezzera, Vibiemme, Giotto, Expobar. All would be suitable.

Cheers,

Sam

Site Sponsor
    Hi Boggas,

2 machines that fit the brief on first inspection would be the Vibiemme Junior and Lelit Mara and we have both on the bench for a closer look,

charlie

If you got to the coffeesnobs website there is an email all sponsors email address. Send them your requirements and they will come back with something.
    There's a lelit dual boiler in the for sale section that's essentially being given away. I'd jump on that if I were you.

Thanks for the replies that's great it gives me a good point to start researching.

How does the Heating element design of the BZ10 compare with a traditional E61 for temp stability and operation?

I have an update on the purchase. In the end we settled on the BZ10 coupled with a Macap m2m.

A big thank you to Paul at dodgy x for awesome service and great advice

Photos and videos to follow
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boggas View Post
    I have an update on the purchase. In the end we settled on the BZ10 coupled with a Macap m2m.

A big thank you to Paul at dodgy x for awesome service and great advice

Photos and videos to follow
    I was looking at the same combo, so interested to see how you go!

Buying Advice

Ok it has been a while so thought I would post an update on the BZ10 and m2m combo.

On first impressions the BZ10 has a compact form, and sits nicely on the bench with its traditional Italian styling. I was a little apprehensive about the group (due to my obsession with e61) but I can honestly say it is capable of producing a great shot. The warm up time is really fast, and it steams like a demon. It is capable of great micro foam in a short time.

With the stock basket it seems to enjoy a 16g dose producing a nice rich rich shot over 30sec. I haven't had any issues with channeling, well no more than any other machine if prep is good.

There has been a fair bit of discussion about the brew pressure on the BZ10. I don't have a method of testing brew pressure so I cannot comment. However, the pump pressure gauge sits around 12bar which is consistent with other people's reports. That being said It hasn't presented any nasty traits which would suggest there is any issues with the pressure it is running.

There are also a few negatives with the BZ10, the biggest is probably in the design of the drip tray. It feels like the tray needed to extend just a little bit more from the group as it doesn't quite catch all the water when doing a cleaning flush. It isn't major, just messy, and a bit frustrating. Another poor design choice is the water dispenser and steam wands. The water tap is short making it is easy to burn your hand while operating the toggle, and the steam wand runs short on articulation at times.

All in all the BZ10 performs great and is a very capable machine at a good price point. Even with its design floors the BZ10 in my opinion it offers good value for money, and is more than capable of a great shot.

As for the m2m it is a solid little performer. It is basic in functionality, but produces a consistent grind with a great flavor profile. It has a small form so is well suited to a confined area.
    Dimal likes this.