Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By Smee
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: Corrosion on E61 group

Corrosion on E61 group

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I've noticed some pitting or corrosion on the chrome coating of the group head of a machine I am thinking of buying. Can anyone advise if this is just a cosmetic thing or a sign of something more serious?

TC
    In my experience, fat can often get things started- machine beside the stove will do it for you. This one looks like it may have been to the beach as well.

I'd be having a comprehensive look insider before pulling the trigger on this one. It needs to also be priced accordingly. It's probably a roughie...
    Smee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    In my experience, fat can often get things started- machine beside the stove will do it for you. This one looks like it may have been to the beach as well.

I'd be having a comprehensive look insider before pulling the trigger on this one. It needs to also be priced accordingly. It's probably a roughie...
    Thanks for the advice, will keep it in mind. The machine itself is a 2011 model and looked reasonably clean inside for its age.

Apprentice Coffee snob
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post

The fat thing is exactly what it looks like.

You don't even need to have the machine close to the stove for that fat thing to happen which often makes me wonder why folk skimp when it comes to stove extraction systems above their stove tops. We presently renting while we are building and the house we are in has one of those silly rangehoods that spins the air above the stovetop inside itself before spitting it back out just inches above where it sucked it in. As a result when you look closely on stuff theirs fatty stuff everywhere. Drives me insane. I wouldn't even keep the box the coffee machine came in, in a kitchen fitted with one of these useless devices.

feel better now I've got that off my chest.
    readeral likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Cosmetic - a real shame for a beautiful E61
    Yes- can be, but still worth having a good look inside. The stuff is insidious and I have seen machines where the entire insides including electronics and wiring are tacky withthe stuff. Fat V 230V can have far nastier consequences than water v 230V.

Not one to purchase without confirming it's ok after thorough look see inside IMHO.
    Dimal likes this.