Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By wattgn
  • 1 Post By wattgn
  • 1 Post By sprezzatura
  • 2 Post By Dimal
  • 2 Post By Dimal

Thread: Wega Mini Nova Classic - First Shots

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,126

    Wega Mini Nova Classic - First Shots

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I picked it up this arvo from LeafBeanMachine down in Bibra Lake.

    It all went extra smoothly. They gave me 2 bags of some very nice coffee along with the machine. I haven't tried that yet but I did have some of their Burundi single origin coffee when I was looking at the machine on Friday. It was excellent.

    I had discussed the fittings for the water line in and drain line out and so all the fittings were in place and I just had to hook it up. Very quick and easy.

    I did two brews, using the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, the first was with soymilk, the other just an espresso. I changed the grind slightly for the second. Both were excellent shots. It goes to show how easy these machines are to use, a walk in the park.

    It doesn't seem to need much cooling down and I love the E61 head.

    The only difference I notice in behaviour from my Bezzera BZ40, is that when filling a large mug with water (I probably should use the kettle for this) in order to warm it, the rotary pump turns on and off every few seconds. My Bezzera had a high and low level probe but the technician says, there is only a low level probe. I find that odd. I just assumed all machines had low and high level probes. I guess draining 320mls into a mug is a bit of an ask, it takes about a minute to get back up to pressure after doing this.

    The steam it produces is impressive but I would expect that with a 2L boiler.

    It does have only one gauge for brew pressure. I would be nice to have two gauges although honestly, the pressures never vary much.

    The only other downside is my old Bezzera portafilters don't fit on these so my special pressure gauge portafilter handle will have to be sold with the Bezzera.

    I will do a full report in a while but it is an amazingly well built machine and the insides are beautiful as is the outside. It was also $800 cheaper than a near identical ECM Technika so very good value and every bit as good.

    I weighed the portafilter handles and these are 560grams with the double basket in it, same as the Bezzera. All nice heavy lashings of chrome dribbled over the brass. Nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dimal, sprezzatura and Laj like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hervey Bay, QLD
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by wattgn View Post
    I picked it up this arvo from LeafBeanMachine down in Bibra Lake.

    It all went extra smoothly. They gave me 2 bags of some very nice coffee along with the machine. I haven't tried that yet but I did have some of their Burundi single origin coffee when I was looking at the machine on Friday. It was excellent.

    I had discussed the fittings for the water line in and drain line out and so all the fittings were in place and I just had to hook it up. Very quick and easy.

    I did two brews, using the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, the first was with soymilk, the other just an espresso. I changed the grind slightly for the second. Both were excellent shots. It goes to show how easy these machines are to use, a walk in the park.

    It doesn't seem to need much cooling down and I love the E61 head.

    The only difference I notice in behaviour from my Bezzera BZ40, is that when filling a large mug with water (I probably should use the kettle for this) in order to warm it, the rotary pump turns on and off every few seconds. My Bezzera had a high and low level probe but the technician says, there is only a low level probe. I find that odd. I just assumed all machines had low and high level probes. I guess draining 320mls into a mug is a bit of an ask, it takes about a minute to get back up to pressure after doing this.

    The steam it produces is impressive but I would expect that with a 2L boiler.

    It does have only one gauge for brew pressure. I would be nice to have two gauges although honestly, the pressures never vary much.

    The only other downside is my old Bezzera portafilters don't fit on these so my special pressure gauge portafilter handle will have to be sold with the Bezzera.

    I will do a full report in a while but it is an amazingly well built machine and the insides are beautiful as is the outside. It was also $800 cheaper than a near identical ECM Technika so very good value and every bit as good.

    I weighed the portafilter handles and these are 560grams with the double basket in it, same as the Bezzera. All nice heavy lashings of chrome dribbled over the brass. Nice.
    A fine, sturdy and well-built machine.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,126
    Pulling great shots. The pucks are as well formed and tough as a vegan's turd.

    Drinking a single origin bean from commercial link removed per Site Posting Policy where I bought the machine, a Honduras Silvestre Vasquez. Some name.

    I'm also ordered a Macap M4D Grinder from Mr dodgy x, thanks Paul. Maybe get it before the gathering on Saturday.

    I also swapped the five hole steam tip for a four hole one. Still almost too quick to steam. On the Bezzera I fitted a two hole tip which was great for small amounts of milk. The four hole tip or I guess the five hole tip leave no room for error as there is little time before it is up to temperature.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 28th August 2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Commercial Link(s) Removed
    sprezzatura likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hervey Bay, QLD
    Posts
    930
    Tough as a ... Ha! Ha! Ha! Are you sure that's not a Paleoturd?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    Tough as a ... Ha! Ha! Ha! Are you sure that's not a Paleoturd?
    I've heard other people complain of pucks that fell apart. I've never had that happen with either the Bezzera or the Wega. I'm not sure if a well formed stool is the result of a paleo bean diet or the result of a rotary pump.

    You tell me or does a firm puck just mean no channeling or damage? I don't know.

  6. #6
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hervey Bay, QLD
    Posts
    930
    A well formed puck is a good thing - regardless of diet
    wattgn likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,126
    The 4 hole steam tip is working well. I am getting the knack of frothing soy milk well enough.

    I purchased an in line water softening cartridge that is in place after the branch to my machine. The micron sediment filter and carbon filter filter the water for both the machine and drinking water. It is a cost to do this but it a pretty good system.

    The Wega is a great machine. The quality of the espresso is very good and I get very consistent results. The grind setting for my Rocky grinder has not required any changes in the past few days.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    56
    I am glad you like your Wega. I purchased a broken one to fix and have been very happy with the results.

    My only issue with the Wega Classic is that the internals seem to use non-commercial size components; so you either go back to Wega or have to buy the right BSP convertor. In my case I purchased a convertor connector to use a commercial anti-vacuum valve and purchased a new Wega safety valve rather than using a convertor for a commercial safety valve. I am not sure about the pressure stat thread size.

    The unit seems really well build and I cannot see why the unit will not last for many years. Descaling is slightly weird with a HX hot water tap. I found you have to "lean/tip" the machine to force water through the steam wand to expel the descalling solution from the boiler. Maybe someone knows a better way. I'm all ears!

    Best of luck and great coffee with your new baby!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by metho View Post
    I am glad you like your Wega. I purchased a broken one to fix and have been very happy with the results.

    My only issue with the Wega Classic is that the internals seem to use non-commercial size components; so you either go back to Wega or have to buy the right BSP convertor. In my case I purchased a convertor connector to use a commercial anti-vacuum valve and purchased a new Wega safety valve rather than using a convertor for a commercial safety valve. I am not sure about the pressure stat thread size.

    The unit seems really well build and I cannot see why the unit will not last for many years. Descaling is slightly weird with a HX hot water tap. I found you have to "lean/tip" the machine to force water through the steam wand to expel the descalling solution from the boiler. Maybe someone knows a better way. I'm all ears!

    Best of luck and great coffee with your new baby!
    I think there is a boiler drain valve. I saw it on the diagrammatic

  10. #10
    Laj
    Laj is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    45
    Congratulations on your purchase(s). It looks terrific. I love the manual lever.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by metho View Post
    I am glad you like your Wega. I purchased a broken one to fix and have been very happy with the results.

    My only issue with the Wega Classic is that the internals seem to use non-commercial size components; so you either go back to Wega or have to buy the right BSP convertor. In my case I purchased a convertor connector to use a commercial anti-vacuum valve and purchased a new Wega safety valve rather than using a convertor for a commercial safety valve. I am not sure about the pressure stat thread size.

    The unit seems really well build and I cannot see why the unit will not last for many years. Descaling is slightly weird with a HX hot water tap. I found you have to "lean/tip" the machine to force water through the steam wand to expel the descalling solution from the boiler. Maybe someone knows a better way. I'm all ears!

    Best of luck and great coffee with your new baby!
    I had a look today. There is definitely a drain valve on the bottom. It is located in a nice handy location so you can place a tube on the end and drain it into the sink which is what I will do when I do my first descale in six months time.

    You may have an older model but a drain on a boiler is a basic requirement.

    The internal layout of the Wega is impeccable. Very tidy. I don't know where you get the idea of 'non-commerical size' components. The internals are mostly just standard parts on any coffee machines but actual diameters of lines and so on look similar. It is pretty irrelevant anyway. If they use a 3/8 rather than 1/2 inch drain or something it is because it is sized for the intended use and flow rates. Things like pressure stats again are designed for the machine and commercial / non-commercial is an artificial distinction. If I look at my Bezzera which has two 1400W elements and a much bigger boiler 3.4L, some internal components may be bigger.

    It also seems you have a Wega that is quite different to mine anyway.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Laj View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase(s). It looks terrific. I love the manual lever.
    I'm extremely pleased with the Wega. I also got it for $2400. I almost get the ECM Technika Profi 4 but it was $800 more and I didn't see enough value in the extra cost. It also had levers instead of normal turn off valves for water and steam which meant you need one hand on the steam. I would find that very difficult, as I like having two hands for steaming.

    I would definitely recommend it. I will probably do a review soon. I wanted to use it a fair while though first but I haven't found any issues on it. I plugged and plumbed it and it worked flawlessly from the first shot.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    56

    Red face Doh!

    Ah my brain is not working. I have a Wega Mini Nova, not Mini Nova Classic! That must be why the boiler is different!

    Quote Originally Posted by wattgn View Post
    I had a look today. There is definitely a drain valve on the bottom. It is located in a nice handy location so you can place a tube on the end and drain it into the sink which is what I will do when I do my first descale in six months time.

    You may have an older model but a drain on a boiler is a basic requirement.
    I'll have to have a better look, but I don't think it has one on the Wega Mini Nova.


    Quote Originally Posted by wattgn View Post
    The internal layout of the Wega is impeccable. Very tidy. I don't know where you get the idea of 'non-commerical size' components. The internals are mostly just standard parts on any coffee machines but actual diameters of lines and so on look similar. It is pretty irrelevant anyway. If they use a 3/8 rather than 1/2 inch drain or something it is because it is sized for the intended use and flow rates. Things like pressure stats again are designed for the machine and commercial / non-commercial is an artificial distinction. If I look at my Bezzera which has two 1400W elements and a much bigger boiler 3.4L, some internal components may be bigger.
    On the Wega Mini Nova the parts have odd BSP thread sizes which means you will struggle to go the aftermarket route. So basically you are stuck with Wega domestic sized parts (say 1/8" BSP threads) or part that are not widely avaliable. Generally more expensive. Don't get me wrong the quality of the parts from Wega look top notch and they should last a long time.

    Quote Originally Posted by wattgn View Post
    It also seems you have a Wega that is quite different to mine anyway.
    My machine is a Wega Mini Nova, not Mini Nova Classic! Again sorry!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by wattgn View Post
    I'm extremely pleased with the Wega. I also got it for $2400. I almost get the ECM Technika Profi 4 but it was $800 more and I didn't see enough value in the extra cost. It also had levers instead of normal turn off valves for water and steam which meant you need one hand on the steam. I would find that very difficult, as I like having two hands for steaming.

    I would definitely recommend it. I will probably do a review soon. I wanted to use it a fair while though first but I haven't found any issues on it. I plugged and plumbed it and it worked flawlessly from the first shot.
    "One hand on the steam" - Please explain?

  15. #15
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    wattgn, the steam valve of the ECM locks open, I use two hands holding my milk jug every time I use my ECM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    wattgn, the steam valve of the ECM locks open, I use two hands holding my milk jug every time I use my ECM.
    I'm happy enough with dials so I wasn't game to try something new and discover I didn't like it. Interestingly the person who showed me the ECM Technika put me off and said he didn't like them much and they'd had a few customers who weren't too pleased either.

    I found the Wega and in the end, it was the $800 price difference that made the difference although the levers did make me think twice too. Anyway, I am perfectly happy with Dial/wheel valves.

  17. #17
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,996
    I reckon it's all a bit of Furphy to be honest...

    Right from the outset, have always found it best to open the Steam Valve fully to get the best texture, and speed of course, even for small amounts of milk for a single cuppa.
    I reckon the newer flick valves make this much easier...

    Mal.
    matth3wh and Stu76 like this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    I reckon it's all a bit of Furphy to be honest...

    Right from the outset, have always found it best to open the Steam Valve fully to get the best texture, and speed of course, even for small amounts of milk for a single cuppa.
    I reckon the newer flick valves make this much easier...

    Mal.
    It is a small but important detail. I haven't seen any other machines recently that have this valve control. It seems not everyone likes them so if someone is spending over $3000 for an ECM Technika, it would seem to me to be sensible to use one first. Some of the preference would be visual too and I prefer the dials and each maker puts some thought into how these look and distinguish one machine from another.

  19. #19
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,996
    I s'pose...

    I reckon though if you get some professional tuition on how to use the steam properly, you'll never go back to trying to "tweak" the steam valve. Get way better results using all of what your machine can deliver, in my opinion of course...

    Mal.
    TC and Laj like this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member ArtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    131
    +1 for using as much steam as available. I prefer the look of rotary knobs but for functionality, an on/off steam option alla Nuova Simonelli, La Spaziale, ECM etc is much better.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,949
    Quote Originally Posted by wattgn View Post
    I'm happy enough with dials so I wasn't game to try something new and discover I didn't like it. Interestingly the person who showed me the ECM Technika put me off and said he didn't like them much and they'd had a few customers who weren't too pleased either.

    I found the Wega and in the end, it was the $800 price difference that made the difference although the levers did make me think twice too. Anyway, I am perfectly happy with Dial/wheel valves.
    Seems to be a personal preference thing, I much prefer rotary valves to toggles, allows me to vary steam flow, I find milk stretches easily and rapidly during the winter months, needing less steam to achieve a good result, usually during a couple of the summer months I have to run steam flat out and still difficult to get a decent result.

    I'm led to believe it has to do with the quality of feed the dairy cows are on.

    Yep, I'm a control freak.
    Last edited by Yelta; 15th October 2016 at 01:48 PM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Seems to be a personal preference thing, I much prefer rotary valves to toggles, allows me to vary steam flow, I find milk stretches easily and rapidly during the winter months, needing less steam to achieve a good result, usually during a couple of the summer months I have to run steam flat out and still difficult to get a decent result.

    I'm led to believe it has to do with the quality of feed the dairy cows are on.

    Yep, I'm a control freak.
    I think it is an interesting move changing basic controls like rotary valves to toggle valves. The risk is people are used to dials and it may, such as in my case, affect the buying decision.

    I've also had no issues with rotary valves so the toggle valves would be solving a problem I don't have!

    It is a courageous move by ECM I think!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •