• 2 Post By trentski
  • 2 Post By Stan
  • 6 Post By readeral
  • 1 Post By Stan
  • 5 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By readeral
  • 1 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By JohnF

Thread: Looking for *The Best* Fully Automatic coffee machine that I can buy through Harvey N

Looking for *The Best* Fully Automatic coffee machine that I can buy through Harvey N

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Be kind please... First time poster

My Saeco (pre Breville imported) fully automatic coffee machine has just *died* (well keeps asking me to check coffee/water waste & the door is broken ).

Now looking for a new one; the best money can buy in this price brand... & looking at Harvey Norman to purchase due to interest free helps when I've just had a lot of medical bills & due to my health we are now on one income. I would love to purchase this weekend.

I do want the *best* as coffee is MY AIR - I can't live with out it.

I wanted to ask you all, the experts, so when I spend the $$$$'s I am totally happy with it & it will go the distance, as well of course, making the best coffee for a fully automatic machine.

Thank you all for your help!

Hi you don't say the price you are willing to pay. That might help a bit.

TC
    Anybody for a serving of deja vu?
    popcorn.jpg
    Dimal, Stan, LeroyC and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumiya View Post
    Hi you don't say the price you are willing to pay. That might help a bit.
    Sorry, I thought because I choose the topic of coffee machines between $1,500 - $3,000 section to write this then I didn't need to type the price - so I'm after machines up to $3,000... Obviously prefer closer to the $1,500 - but willing to go the distance for something worth the bigger bucks - Thank you for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Anybody for a serving of deja vu?
    popcorn.jpg
    Thanks for your input

If they have the breville Oracle that might suit your needs. That's as fully automatic as I'm willing to suggest.
    TC and Momo01 like this.

Welcome to the forum, however you will find most here believe the best auto machine is at a rubbish tip. The closest here would be a volumetric espresso machine. As per the title of the forum we are after all Coffee Snobs. There may be a member with some experience in auto machines so I hope you get a reasonable answer.
    TC and Momo01 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Welcome to the forum, however you will find most here believe the best auto machine is at a rubbish tip. The closest here would be a volumetric espresso machine. As per the title of the forum we are after all Coffee Snobs. There may be a member with some experience in auto machines so I hope you get a reasonable answer.
    Thank you for this... I know fully automatic isn't the best, but unfortunately since I'm the only one that can make a coffee in our family & unfortunately due to health I know have to pass on the 'coffee making' to my husband (who doesn't drink coffee) or my 9 year old son... The fully automatic is the only option - I was hoping they had become a little better in this day & age... But know I'm asking for too much there - pity these machines don't come with the price tag of the rubbish tip but then they know they can get the $$'s for these for people in my circumstances... Or who don't know better

Quote Originally Posted by Momo01 View Post
    Thank you for this... I know fully automatic isn't the best, but unfortunately since I'm the only one that can make a coffee in our family & unfortunately due to health I know have to pass on the 'coffee making' to my husband (who doesn't drink coffee) or my 9 year old son... The fully automatic is the only option - I was hoping they had become a little better in this day & age... But know I'm asking for too much there - pity these machines don't come with the price tag of the rubbish tip but then they know they can get the $$'s for these for people in my circumstances... Or who don't know better
    Ps... THANKS FOR THE WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    If they have the breville Oracle that might suit your needs. That's as fully automatic as I'm willing to suggest.
    Thank you... They sell 'Breville' so I will look into this one.... I wouldn't have looked at the Breville brand so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Momo01 View Post
    Hi Momo01,

Honestly, I don't think CoffeeSnobs really are the experts in this area :-/ Essentially, we've often invested lots of time and energy into understanding manual machines, and don't bother getting acquainted with the super autos. Traditional coffee making knowledge won't get far in this conversation.

It's likely that if you're really hoping to get good recommendations from this forum, you'd be essentially asking us to do some fresh research on your behalf - so I wouldn't have high hopes on what kind of input you'll get. That being said, there might be a few super auto owners that can chip in, and there might be a few threads worth researching.

FWIW, my inlaws have a Saeco super auto - they get it serviced every year, and they're happy enough with it. I was there over summer and tweaked it for them to get a better pour, so if I was in the market for one, it seemed to do the job well enough. So I recommend you stick with what you know and get a Saeco. I haven't a clue how much they are, but in my experience, sometimes the higher the price, you're only getting 1 or two more features that get upsold to you as 'must haves' so be clear on what you're getting for your cash.

But - have you had it looked at by a service agent? Might be a darn sight cheaper than $3k...

Also - don't discount alternative brewing options like a Hario V60 pour over or similar. Very tasty coffee, very easily made, very easy clean up. 2% of the price of a super auto. Just, not frothy milk.

Good luck!

Alan
    Dimal, Magic_Matt, TC and 3 others like this.

There is a breville owners thread several down from this one that may be of interest to you. Best of luck with your search
    Momo01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Hi Momo01,

Honestly, I don't think CoffeeSnobs really are the experts in this area :-/ Essentially, we've often invested lots of time and energy into understanding manual machines, and don't bother getting acquainted with the super autos. Traditional coffee making knowledge won't get far in this conversation.

It's likely that if you're really hoping to get good recommendations from this forum, you'd be essentially asking us to do some fresh research on your behalf - so I wouldn't have high hopes on what kind of input you'll get. That being said, there might be a few super auto owners that can chip in, and there might be a few threads worth researching.

FWIW, my inlaws have a Saeco super auto - they get it serviced every year, and they're happy enough with it. I was there over summer and tweaked it for them to get a better pour, so if I was in the market for one, it seemed to do the job well enough. So I recommend you stick with what you know and get a Saeco. I haven't a clue how much they are, but in my experience, sometimes the higher the price, you're only getting 1 or two more features that get upsold to you as 'must haves' so be clear on what you're getting for your cash.

But - have you had it looked at by a service agent? Might be a darn sight cheaper than $3k...

Also - don't discount alternative brewing options like a Hario V60 pour over or similar. Very tasty coffee, very easily made, very easy clean up. 2% of the price of a super auto. Just, not frothy milk.

Good luck!

Alan
    Thanks Alan!
    Mmmm I haven't got it serviced every year ... I always descale but never thought of servicing - again thank you... I when I was searching the lovely 'internet' for reviews etc someone had posted on another site to ask you all when someone had asked about the same topic... I thought I would especially as the page posted was from a couple of years ago & machines change; but do realise now I should have used my brain & realised no coffee snob would ever go auto ... I use to think the same loved my old manual - you have been very helpful so thank you!

Out of the automatic machines on the market, Saeco machines don't make the best coffee in my opinion.
    Jura is incredibly overpriced, gimmicky and also doesn't make very good coffee.

These machines lack a decent grinder which can be adjusted to grind fine enough. They can't grind fine enough as grinding too fine puts additional strain on the brew unit and other plastic parts which could cause them to break down faster.

In my opinion, DeLonghi make the best automatic coffee machines. They make cheaper units with manual milk frothers and more expensive machine with automatic milk forthers.
    I personally prefer a machine where you froth the milk yourself. You have more control, there are less parts to clean and less stuff to break down.

Do you want a machine which does the milk for you as well or are you willing to froth the milk?

If you are willing to do the milk yourself, I would suggest the DeLonghi ECAM22.110.SB. It's reliable, cheap and performs quite well.
    You can pick them up from Harvey Norman for around $700 which is cheap for what you get.

Realistically, you can spend more money but you won't get better coffee. You'll just get more features which are mostly useless.
    Dimal, Magic_Matt, PhatBoy and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Out of the automatic machines on the market, Saeco machines don't make the best coffee in my opinion.
    We managed to get a 30 second pour from the Saeco after fining up the grind - but maybe they make them differently now. Or we did something wrong :P

Wandering through Harvey Norman every so often (and Myer) and having a look at the stuff they have, most of what you say rings true in my observations.
    NMO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    We managed to get a 30 second pour from the Saeco after fining up the grind - but maybe they make them differently now. Or we did something wrong :P
    Which machine was it? The older machines (Royal, Magic, Vienna) with steel burrs were able to grind quite fine and give a decent enough shot but the new machines with ceramic grinders just don't seem to have the adjustment range necessary.
    Momo01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Jura is incredibly overpriced, gimmicky and also doesn't make very good coffee.

These machines lack a decent grinder which can be adjusted to grind fine enough. They can't grind fine enough as grinding too fine puts additional strain on the brew unit and other plastic parts which could cause them to break down faster.

In my opinion, DeLonghi make the best automatic coffee machines. They make cheaper units with manual milk frothers and more expensive machine with automatic milk forthers.
    I personally prefer a machine where you froth the milk yourself. You have more control, there are less parts to clean and less stuff to break down.

Do you want a machine which does the milk for you as well or are you willing to froth the milk?

If you are willing to do the milk yourself, I would suggest the DeLonghi ECAM22.110.SB. It's reliable, cheap and performs quite well.
    You can pick them up from Harvey Norman for around $700 which is cheap for what you get.

Realistically, you can spend more money but you won't get better coffee. You'll just get more features which are mostly useless.
    Thank you so much for this detailed reply... So glad you said that about Jura, cause I don't know much about them, but was going to have a look into them - I definitely won't now! Yes I quite liked the old Saeco's but was unsure if the newer ones... Your response helps in that field. I have heard the Delonghi are good... But I have 'old fears' with them, don't know if different now, but when I use to work in retail (small appliances) I know many of their machines had issues and not great customer service from their company - most common fault was them leaking etc.
    My husband has had a quick look in a couple of stores this week during his lunch break and he had been recommended either Delonghi or Jura... As much as we will pay a little more for the milk to be 'done automatically' my husband would prefer this... I am trying to tell him he will survive this and learn to make a fabulous coffee... He still would prefer if we could, get the fully automatic - but I still am trying to talk him around

So the delonghi does the finer grind I take it? I may have to change my 'negative' thoughts on them...

Thanks again - this is the info I was looking for - so very helpful!

Have a look at the Breville Oracle. It's as automatic as it's sounds like your husband wants but they make
    Really good coffee and great milk when set up right.

I don't think I can add anything except to second most of the comments above. I'd seriously consider the Breville Oracle if I were you, but if it's still a bit too hands on go for Delonghi. They're not immune to problems, but I know of at least 3 very happy Delonghi Magnifica owners, and have even had a pretty good coffee from one of their machines. If you can, get one that at least gives you the option to do your own milk.
    I think the problem with Saeco is that they're owned by Philips now and all the old sensibilities have gone. All the best with you decision.

Looking for *The Best* Fully Automatic coffee machine that I can buy through Harvey N

Have to agree with the comments on the Breville Oracle as I own one. Very easy to use, but delivers coffee quality that you expect from a manual machine. Most of the super autos have the same identical brew unit and don't really do anything different to the next super auto in taste. It's just the bling and extra programability that sets them apart. They use more coffee than manual machines and their brew units don't tolerate fine grind very well. Lots of moving parts means more things to go wrong, so a shorter life.
    Check out YouTube and see the demonstration of the Breville Oracle.

Is it espresso / milk based drinks you really want, or are you willing to try drip / pour over style coffee. A high end machine like a Technivorm Moccamaster or a Bonavita brewer at around $300 - $400 will last a life time, and brew coffee at the right temperature. Just add a good grinder so you can feed it fresh ground coffee.
    Last edited by cdhjrf; 17th September 2016 at 05:45 PM.

I have had both Melitta, saeco and Jura machines. The Jura was just a tad better quality but the brew group couldn't be removed for cleaning. Only letdown really. Great coffee and good frothing as well

Just my two cents worth - I purchased a Breville Oracle at the end of last year (for just under $1700 from HN). We have been using the machine in a small office setting with a Rancillo basket (single rather than double shots to keep us less twitchy), and it's been making about 40-60 cups a day. 5 days a week. Since January. And it's still very much alive. Experiences are pretty positive - the neighbouring Second Royale in a competing department is nowhere near as good, and the machine is extremely easy to use (a little effort may be required to get it all set up just the way you want it). The beans make a massive difference - we used to use Vittoria Espresso, and struggled to get the grind fine enough to compensate for the lack of freshness. We now get freshly roasted beans and sit roughly in the middle of the grinder adjustability range.
    Dimal likes this.

The issue I have had with fully auto machines is that after about 2 years things like solenoids and sensors start to packup. Even though some of these machines actually make a pretty decent coffee the expense of repairs was enough for me to say no more (after two very expensive machines). So went with an ECM and a good grinder. Can't see how it can possibly be any simpler actually. Minimal parts to break.

I've had some ok espresso from a family members Jura.
    There are many settings to get better results on them than the standard set. This led to the grinder eventually requiring a service though.
    I used to think superautos were a waste of money, but with filtered water & quality coffee the Jura will deliver better results over someone using a manual machine that is inexperienced.
    They have improved a lot over the years. But obviously aren't perfect.