Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 1384
Like Tree1061Likes

Thread: Decent Espresso Machines (DE1) - Any thoughts?

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
    In My Humble Opinion...If you kept the price points on the machines the same, you did not increase them, then adding your suitcase at no cost, you'd be on a winner there...A great value item to what promises to be a very nice machine...
    Since it's actually less expensive for us to manufacture a suitcase than it is to ship a much-larger espresso machine double-boxed for protection, the price for us is actually lower to use the suitcase.

Most of the suitcase cost is now a "sunk cost" because Joao and I spent a few months designing it, and I've paid for the custom molds for the vacuum form molds. And god, we spent a fortune trying out various foam strategies before we finally settled on 3mm thick vacuum formed (and spandex covered) foam. And, we have manufacturers we have tested and like, for all components.

Thus, no increased price to the customer to receive the suitcase.

IMG_8143.jpg

Our only trouble with the suitcases is that they don't arrive flat-packed (obviously) like cardboard, so they take a huge amount of warehouse space. But that's a relatively minor issue.

-john
    bigdaddy likes this.

What happened to all the reviews on various forums? Have they all overdosed on coffee or did the machines die?

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by HBexile2 View Post
    What happened to all the reviews on various forums? Have they all overdosed on coffee or did the machines die?
    This morning I found these two videos:

bigdaddy likes this.

Site Sponsor

Declumping espresso with a milk jug

Here is a technique we use to improve our espresso shots. Instead of dosing into a portafilter, we homogenize the grinds by dumping them into a milk jug, shaking, and then putting them into the portafilter.

. . .

Declumping Shot Comparison

Some of the feedback from the beta testers, discussed on home barista, was that they were seeing more channeling than they were used to.

In my experience, channeling on our machines is usually caused by these 3 things (in order of importance):
    1) your puck prep
    2) making your shot at too high a pressure (the DE1+ goes up to 13 bar)
    3) the quality of your grinder

The two shots below are identical, except that the one on the right had the milk-jug-declumping technique applied to it. You can see that the amount of spray on the sides of the cup is drastically reduced.

Both shots were 15.5g in, 30g out, in 30s, peaking at 10.5 bar. Flow profiling at 4 ml/s preinfusion, 2ml/s hold.

IMG_8449 copy.jpg

Last edited by decentespresso; 10th April 2018 at 04:28 PM.
    bigdaddy likes this.

Site Sponsor

Progress report from the Decent Factory

Here's what we're up to at Decent HQ in terms of getting espresso machines made.

Update: we found the cause of the HiPot failure, we've fixed the two machines that were failing it, and we're shipping those machines tomorrow after they get shaken overnight and then burned in for 2h.
    gc likes this.

gc
    Soooo....What DID cause the HiPot failure? You've described the beginning and the end, but narratives have a middle too.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gc View Post
    Soooo....What DID cause the HiPot failure? You've described the beginning and the end, but narratives have a middle too.
    The hipot test goes to 1800 volts, with 2mA, to see if the insulation is acceptable or if sparks occur. At 1700 volts, the low voltage pc board (ie, the computer) started to have sparks, which is very strange because it wasn't actually powered (only one connector of two cables from the 24V power supply were connected).

It took us some time, but we figured out that the Meanwell power supply was the culprit. Its specs indicate that it shouldn't leak until 3000V, but these two Meanwell power supplies were not performing to spec.

The spark was occuring between ground and the low voltage board, on one of the mounting PEMs, caused by us using metal screws to mount the low voltage board. By switching to nylon screws and nylon washers to mount the PCB, we further isolated this PC board, and now the complete hipot test passes.

We see this failure as a "technical failure" in that yes, it was failing the hipot test, but normal operation wouldn't expose the Meanwell 24V power supply to this high a voltage, so in regular use this wouldn't have been a safety concern.

Nonetheless, we've switched our assembly process now to use nylon screws and washers to mount all low voltage pc boards, so that even if a single Meanwell power supply leaks, we still pass the hipot test. The change has no impact on the machines built with Meanwell power supplies that are performing to spec.

Is that fairly clear?

-john

gc
    It is clear...thankyou....and with a simple solution too.

Do you check all the Meanwells for significant variation from spec now, or it just doesn't matter?

Site Sponsor
    Do you check all the Meanwells for significant variation from spec now, or it just doesn't matter?
    From a safety standpoint, we don't think it matters. From a "passing the required hipot test, for every machine that ships" it would have been important (ie, some DE1s would have failed) but now that we have switched to nylon screws, even the meanwells that leak at 1700W no longer cause a hipot failure.

Obviously, if the meanwell power supply is defective in a meaningful way, we'd not use it. However leaking a bit at 1700W isn't a failure we consider "material", now that we've worked around that reality.

-john

Site Sponsor
    dearcoffeebuyer.jpgdearcoffeebuyerposter.jpg

Leaving the topic of espresso machines for a moment...

Scott Rao really likes this new book about sourcing green coffee. Though Scott is the author of one of the two main books on coffee roasting, he feels that there is a lack of information about obtaining good beans for roasting. Scott also really liked the poster showing coffee processing methods and funded its printing. Stocking this item is a bit off-topic for what we do at Decent, but there is significant cross-over between our audience and people who roast coffee (for fun or for a living), so I'm giving it a punt.

A pallet of this new book (and 100 posters) arrived a few days ago, and perhaps some home (or commercial?) roasters on this forum might be interested.
    https://decentespresso.com/books

-john

Quote Originally Posted by decentespresso View Post
    The hipot test goes to 1800 volts, with 2mA, to see if the insulation is acceptable or if sparks occur. At 1700 volts, the low voltage pc board (ie, the computer) started to have sparks, which is very strange because it wasn't actually powered (only one connector of two cables from the 24V power supply were connected).
    However leaking a bit at 1700W isn't a failure we consider "material", now that we've worked around that reality.
    Is it leaking at 1700 volts, or at 1700 watts?

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by roastini View Post
    Is it leaking at 1700 volts, or at 1700 watts?
    Volts.

Sorry for the typo!

-john

Site Sponsor

A bit of progress

IMG_8465.jpg

We just wrapped up 5 machines at 110V, but these took two weeks to finish (somewhat also due to 5 days closed around easter and grave-sweeping-day).

Today we laid out 20 machines at 220V to build at once (photo below). I'm hoping we can complete these within 2 weeks, but maybe faster, and then we'll build 20 machines at 110V.

We've been in an interviewing frenzy, and in the past 48h I have extended four job offers. As we've only had two people dedicated to building machines (and others helping in as their other duties allow) this will really help. I have two more interviews tomorrow (Saturday) morning.

-john

This is exciting news. How can I know if my wife's suitcase (DE1) is in the 20

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcCee View Post
    This is exciting news. How can I know if my wife's suitcase (DE1) is in the 20
    Can you write tech support asking ?
    https://decentespresso.com/contact

However, if you've bought a DE1, sorry, bad news. We aren't making that model yet, as we are prioritizing the DE1+, and will shortly be discontinuing the DE1 (these 50 or so that were prepaid are the only ones we'll make).

-john

Site Sponsor

Decent interview

The Coffee Compass today published a short interview with me.
    https://www.thecoffeecompass.com/a-m...man-interview/
    gc likes this.

Can you write tech support asking ?
    https://decentespresso.com/contact

However, if you've bought a DE1, sorry, bad news. We aren't making that model yet, as we are prioritizing the DE1+, and will shortly be discontinuing the DE1 (these 50 or so that were prepaid are the only ones we'll make).

-john
    As an early adopter with faith in the company i hope we 50 lowly DE1 buyers dont get shunted into oblivion with the hope we either die of old age or get sick of waiting and cancel. Will send the email.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcCee View Post
    As an early adopter with faith in the company i hope we 50 lowly DE1 buyers dont get shunted into oblivion with the hope we either die of old age or get sick of waiting and cancel. Will send the email.
    We're planning on getting all the espresso machine (DE1 and DE1+) out the door before the end of June. We're only able to make 1 a day at the moment, though we're making progress on that front (you can see our progress via my postings here). 3 new people starting on the assembly line next week (to help the 2 full-timers we have there now, so the extra workforce should have a big effect). UPDATE: I just interviewed and hired a "factory process engineer", and he will start in 4 weeks' time.

And of course, if you choose to upgrade to a DE1+, you can do so at the old price, before the planned increase as we move the the v1.1 batch.

-john
    Last edited by decentespresso; 14th April 2018 at 01:15 PM.

And of course, if you choose to upgrade to a DE1+, you can do so at the old price, before the planned increase as we move the the v1.1 batch.

-john
    JMcCee don't be tempted! An Apple 1 (1of 15) recently sold for $905k, if the Decent is the success we all hope it will be, your one of fifty DE1 will be worth a bomb, the original collectors piece. Of course predicated that the Cult of Decent takes off

The machine is for my wife, mainly because she loves the suitcase it comes in so the heart rate monitor and other gizmos on the DE1+ are rather superfluous.

And by the time the DE1 becomes a collectible my ashes will be in orbit.
    bigdaddy and 338 like this.

Site Sponsor

Decent water flow diagram

DECAFE_Flow2.jpg

Once in a while, someone writes us at tech support, asking for a "water flow diagram". Ben Champion redid our ugly-because-it's-for-internal-use diagram, into this accurate-and-attractive version.

Pressure and temperature sensors are also shown in this diagram. If you can understand this chart, you understand how our espresso machine works.

-john
    MrJack, bigdaddy and CoffeeHack like this.

gc
    Brilliant! Thanks for the diagram. It's an easy summary of dozens of pages on different forums. I'm sure I'll refer to it a lot. Now..... For the electrical schematics.......

Site Sponsor

New feature: prepare for suitcase

suitcase.jpg

This new feature appeared in our espresso machines today.

When you pack your Decent Espresso Machine into its suitcase, it would be nice for all the water inside to be pushed out, so that it doesn't leak all over the inside of your suitcase.

So... first you slide your water tank forward in preparation. Then, the espresso machine closes the appropriate valves and runs the water pump through each section where water might be hiding. Because the pumps are "self priming", they're actually fairly good at blowing air forward as well. The whole process takes about 30 seconds.

My apologies for the amateurish photo-graphic that I used to implement this feature. Joćo is rendering something attractive to replace it in the next tablet revision.

-john
    bigdaddy likes this.

gc
    suitcase.jpg

This new feature appeared in our espresso machines today.

When you pack your Decent Espresso Machine into its suitcase, it would be nice for all the water inside to be pushed out, so that it doesn't leak all over the inside of your suitcase.

So... first you slide your water tank forward in preparation. Then, the espresso machine closes the appropriate valves and runs the water pump through each section where water might be hiding. Because the pumps are "self priming", they're actually fairly good at blowing air forward as well. The whole process takes about 30 seconds.

My apologies for the amateurish photo-graphic that I used to implement this feature. Joćo is rendering something attractive to replace it in the next tablet revision.

-john
    Ha! Now that's a feature I will definitely need!........if only I could remember where that setting was again......

Site Sponsor

Decent HQ: a bit more organized

Here's an update on our progress in putting together a lean, mean, espresso building machine.
    gc likes this.

Site Sponsor

DE1+ owner Damian Scisci has a new video: Pressure vs. Flow Profiling

gc and bigdaddy like this.

Site Sponsor

Advanced Profiles

profiling2c.jpg

The "ADVANCED PROFILE" editor, which allows you to create virtually any espresso program you like, has been the big remaining unimplemented feature in our espresso machine.

As of today, it (mostly) works, as it's available as a free "app upgrade" inside the tablet software to the Decent Espresso Machine.

Advanced shots can do some interesting things:
    - different goal temperatures at different steps in the espresso
    - pauses, with no water flow (for preinfusion, or for making a pour-over coffee)
    - espresso with more than 3 steps (which can be created in the easier-to-use Pressure and Flow profile editors)
    - mixing flow and pressure control strategies, inside a single espresso
    - a step in espresso making can conditionally move onto the next step when a certain flow or pressure "exit condition" is met.

I'm attaching some screen pictures of samples of my testing the DE1+ in different ways.

PS: I wrote "(mostly) works" because there are two aspects which aren't yet working, but should be next week:
    1) ending an espresso step based on total volume (for now, use "seconds" to control a step)
    2) setting the water at a constant temperature (not adapting to the puck temperature sensor) is not yet implemented.

Everything else about the Advanced Shots seems to work, though I do expect that there will be bugs for us to fix, as real users make espresso with this new technology.

-john

gc
    Is there an updated download to familiarise ourselves with the shot editor in the windows/Linux environment? I'll be interested in how long it takes me after my machine arrives before I start fiddling with the shot editor. It will happen, but there's lots to learn and adjust to first.

Site Sponsor
    Is there an updated download to familiarise ourselves with the shot editor in the windows/Linux environment? I'll be interested in how long it takes me after my machine arrives before I start fiddling with the shot editor. It will happen, but there's lots to learn and adjust to first.
    In theory, even in the Desktop version of the DE1+ app, the SETTINGS->MACHINE->APP UPDATE buttons should work, and is much faster than downloading from scratch.

That being said, I have uploaded the "advanced shot" changes to the latest desktop versions as well, so you can :
    https://decentespresso.com/downloads

Major proviso: it's 7pm here, and I'm going home now. I see at least one GUI bug (loading the new "Pour Over" profile is very slow) that I will fix tomorrow.

There are probably more GUI bugs, as I've just finished stomping out a half dozen bugs, and I'm certain more will pop up in the next 48h.

And for your amusement, here is a GIF animation I made of a "Pour over" program, which is potentially a useful application of this new feature.

-john

pourover.gif

gc
    Thanks for that info John. As it's 10:30 pm here I'll give us both a break and look into it tomorrow on a bigger screen and also try the update button. Enjoy your evening.

Site Sponsor

factory progress

Thanks for that info John. As it's 10:30 pm here I'll give us both a break and look into it tomorrow on a bigger screen and also try the update button. Enjoy your evening.
    I seem to have fixed the obvious bugs in ADVANCED PROFILE, so it's safe to try out now.

In other news, there's real factory progress to report this week.

3 new people started this week, and we pulled all the engineers away from their desks, so we could have 10 total people working on building machines. That's a big increase from 2 people in the factory previously.

We believe we will have all the "sub assemblies" for 20 machines built by the end of Friday (today), and on Monday we will start final assembly of them all. We should have shipped all 20 220V machines by the end of next week.

If so, that will represent a 4x increase in assembly speed (from 0.5 machines/day to 2 machines/day), but we think we should reach 3 to 4 machines a day very shortly, because quite a bit of the past 2 weeks has been us cleaning and organizing. That's mostly done now, and we can start to reap the benefits.

Attached are some photos I took today.

-john

people3.jpg parts.jpg

gc
    Is there a straight android apk of the DE1+ software available for sideloading and without androwish? Or is androwish required even for running the DE1+ software in final release form on th tablet?

I find myself paying very close attention to machine assembly updates now. I can hardly wait.

Site Sponsor
    Is there a straight android apk of the DE1+ software available for sideloading and without androwish? Or is androwish required even for running the DE1+ software in final release form on th tablet? I find myself paying very close attention to machine assembly updates now. I can hardly wait.
    When you get the tablet, everything will be loaded and working.

To use your own tablet, you do need to use Androwish and follow the instructions at https://decentespresso.com/downloads

I decided not to go down the APK route, for a bunch of reasons. The decision was discussed on various forums and consensus was "stay open source" and "don't give google control over your app distribution".

Most recently, Google has been adding rules that bar new updates of apps to old Android OSes, unless the app supports all the latest Android tech. That sort of thing makes me very nervous, as I can envision Google deciding we are no longer allowed to issue updates to the Android 5.1 app (what you guys are getting) unless we also support the latest Android 8.0 tech (which is costly to do, and mostly irrelevant to our coffee-oriented needs).

You'll also find it pleasant to find the entire DE1+ app located in an easy to find directory of:
    /sdcard/de1plus/

so that you can use a USB cable and easily move things to/from the tablet.

-john

gc
    Have to agree with your reasons re: Google.

I've just ordered a new battery for my old 7" nexus 7 (2012) to use as a backup if the DE1+ tablet goes belly up for some reason. Gotta keep that coffee coming.

Is there an init or config file to edit so I don't have to manually load the DE1+ program into Androwish each time?

Do we have any information about when more pre-orders will be accepted? The website says:

Once shipping, we will take orders for our February 2018 manufacturing run, delivering those machines in early spring.
    Since it's already getting close to May, I wondered if there was any update on this.

Site Sponsor
    I've just ordered a new battery for my old 7" nexus 7 (2012) to use as a backup if the DE1+ tablet goes belly up for some reason. Gotta keep that coffee coming.
    It your old tablet is running Android OS 4.4.3 or newer, it should work. Android versions previous to that had totally broken bluetooth.

If my memory is correct, the specs on our tablets are almost identical to the Google Nexus 8.

FYI the DE1+ tablet app works best on tablets with one of these resolutions: 1280x800 (720P), 1920x1280 (1080p), 2560x1600 (name?) but will auto-resize itself to other dimensions.

Is there an init or config file to edit so I don't have to manually load the DE1+ program into Androwish each time?
    Yes: if you follow the directions for Android at https://decentespresso.com/downloads you will be hand-loading a script only once, which then puts a DE1+ icon on your Android desktop.

Alternatively, if you're technical and you have "adb" installed on your computer (while your tablet is usb connected), you can install the icon by running this command:
    adb shell am start -n tk.tcl.wish/.AndroWishLauncher -a android.intent.action.ACTION_VIEW -e arg file:///sdcard/de1plus/create_de1plus_icon.tcl

-john

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by HorseFD View Post
    Do we have any information about when more pre-orders will be accepted? The website says:
    Since it's already getting close to May, I wondered if there was any update on this.
    I wanted to wait until two things occurred:
    1) we actually are able to make machines, on a fairly dependable schedule
    2) some detailed user reviews came out.

Thus far, we've shipped 15 espresso machines out (all 110V), and there have been some reviews, but nothing really detailed. 10 days ago, we were able to make 0.5 machines per day, this week we should be at about 2 to 2.5 machines made per day.

I'd rather not take money from people until:
    1) they can read real reviews of the machine for themselves and not have to (as prebuyers have done) depend on our claims about how "super-awesome" our machine is
    2) we would be able to give people a realistic delivery date.

Those two conditions haven't yet been met, but hopefully in the next 4 weeks, they will be.

20 machines at 220V should ship this week.

-john
    HorseFD likes this.

Site Sponsor

Tech support video: a dirty shower screen can cause uneven espresso water

Shin (our man in Korea) was demoing to some serious baristas, who were unimpressed that the water coming out of the shower screen was so uneven. After a bit of head scratching, we found that taking out the shower screen and cleaning the coffee off of it fixed the problem.

(n.b.: this is an example of how we're planning on doing most tech support. A short video shows the problem, and the solution. Few words or language necessary. The next revision of this video will show the parts being cleaned. Great for our many customers for whom English is not so easy)

gc likes this.

Thanks for the detailed response John. This is a great way to do business.

gc
    It your old tablet is running Android OS 4.4.3 or newer, it should work. Android versions previous to that had totally broken bluetooth.

If my memory is correct, the specs on our tablets are almost identical to the Google Nexus 8.

FYI the DE1+ tablet app works best on tablets with one of these resolutions: 1280x800 (720P), 1920x1280 (1080p), 2560x1600 (name?) but will auto-resize itself to other dimensions.

Yes: if you follow the directions for Android at https://decentespresso.com/downloads you will be hand-loading a script only once, which then puts a DE1+ icon on your Android desktop.

Alternatively, if you're technical and you have "adb" installed on your computer (while your tablet is usb connected), you can install the icon by running this command:
    adb shell am start -n tk.tcl.wish/.AndroWishLauncher -a android.intent.action.ACTION_VIEW -e arg file:///sdcard/de1plus/create_de1plus_icon.tcl

-john
    Thanks for this info John. I chose to use my old Nexus 7 as a backup for the DE1+ tablet because the Nexus specs, and particularly the screen, (1280x800) were similar to it. I have a custom 7.1.1 Nougat ROM on it but only Bluetooth 3 though, so will have to see if the BT link works with the DE1+ module.

I am assuming I can just use a terminal on the nexus (it's rooted and I can do what I like with system files) instead of adb shell to install the icon.

Site Sponsor
    but only Bluetooth 3 though, so will have to see if the BT link works with the DE1+ module.
    Bad news: your old tablet will absolutely not work with your DE1+, because "bluetooth low energy" (BLE) is also known as "Bluetooth 4", and is the Bluetooth that we use. Bluetooth 3 is completely incompatible with Bluetooth 4 BLE.

We had to go to BLE (aka Bluetooth 4) as that is the only bluetooth standard that Apple supports on its iDevices.

-john

gc
    Bad news: your old tablet will absolutely not work with your DE1+, because "bluetooth low energy" (BLE) is also known as "Bluetooth 4", and is the Bluetooth that we use. Bluetooth 3 is completely incompatible with Bluetooth 4 BLE.

We had to go to BLE (aka Bluetooth 4) as that is the only bluetooth standard that Apple supports on its iDevices.

-john
    Thanks John. Your "bad news" reply pushed me into looking a little deeper into my old Nexus 7. Turns out the Broadcom BT chip in it is BLE [4.] capable, but was not activated in the stock roms for Google's own reasons. Apparently activating this feature is now doable. I may have to use a different Custom ROM, but sounds like I will be able to pair the Nexus with the DE1+ one way or another......maybe......

Update: Just tried connecting the nexus to a BT4.2 device (speaker) and it worked fine. So I guess there is still hope.
    Last edited by gc; 23rd April 2018 at 12:31 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Good progress today building 20 espresso machines

WechatIMG9056.jpeg WechatIMG9055.jpeg
    gc and HorseFD like this.

Site Sponsor

New feature: do you have enough water?

screen-2018-04-24-at-3.19.42-PM.jpg

A challenge for home espresso machines is to decide when they're out of water. Some machines wait until the very last drop, but that might be in the middle of steaming or making an Americano when you least want this to happen. Drinkus interruptus.

With our espresso machine, we decided that once you started making your drink, we should let you use the last drop. However, if you haven't started your drink, we should try to anticipate the amount of water you might need and ask you to refill if we're worried you don't have enough for the drink you might make. The idea is to save you from yourself.

As of today, I've made "how much water is enough" configurable by you.

For example, the new "Pour Over" profile use a lot more water than espresso, so it's easy to run out mid-pour-over (whoops). We've also heard from some of you that you like a Big Americano, using more water than most other people do.

On the other hand, nothing seems to irritate people more than a machine that declares "out of water" when there's still plenty in the water tank, so there's a balance to be struck. You get to set the balance that works for you.

As of today, you can indicate how much water there needs to be in the tank (in terms of millimeters of water depth) before the espresso machine asks you to add more.

Those of you who have bought our PRO model will find that your espresso machine remains automatically topped up to whatever level you set using this new feature. It's the point at which the Refill Pump turns on.

-john

Update: Just tried connecting the nexus to a BT4.2 device (speaker) and it worked fine. So I guess there is still hope.
    This is not as useful an indicator as you might hope.

The support you need for connecting to a Decent machine is support for BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). BLE was introduced as part of the Bluetooth 4 standard, but Bluetooth 4 also includes "Classic Bluetooth," which is almost certainly what your speaker supports. Moreover, a BT4.2 speaker could well be backward compatible with, say, BT3.

So a BT4.2 speaker doesn't necessarily use BLE, and connecting to a BT4.2 speaker doesn't necessarily mean your connection is using the BT4.2 protocol.

Site Sponsor

Final assembly of our first batch of 20 machines

We're doing the final assembly of 20 espresso machines at once. This is the first time we've done such a large batch. Because of its complexity and small size, this last step is a bit more fiddly than we'd like. It took us 7 day work days, starting at zero, to get to this point. There is probably another half day of work left to move these machines over to testing and burnin.
    gc likes this.

gc
    Quote Originally Posted by roastini View Post
    This is not as useful an indicator as you might hope.

The support you need for connecting to a Decent machine is support for BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). BLE was introduced as part of the Bluetooth 4 standard, but Bluetooth 4 also includes "Classic Bluetooth," which is almost certainly what your speaker supports. Moreover, a BT4.2 speaker could well be backward compatible with, say, BT3.

So a BT4.2 speaker doesn't necessarily use BLE, and connecting to a BT4.2 speaker doesn't necessarily mean your connection is using the BT4.2 protocol.
    Thanks for these thoughts. I did know this was a possible (likely?) result for just the reasons you describe. Hence my final comment in the post about "maybe.......". I have read on XDA Forum that the Broadcom BT chip in the nexus 7 is BLE compatible, but this feature needs to be enabled either in the kernel or build.prop. (not sure which yet) Only way to know for sure of course, is to await the arrival of my machine and see if it can pair.

Site Sponsor

Preparing Tablets

IMG_8568.jpg

Besides programming, my job is also to prepare Android tablets for use with an espresso machine. We hadn't expected it, but Shin's USB cable actually melted when he brought his machine home. We hadn't thought to test each cable.

Also, some beta testers found their tablets to be out of battery power so they couldn't make coffee right away with their new toy. Major Bummer.

After I update and load each tablet, I'm plugging each into a "smart USB charger" to keep it fully charged. This has the advantage of testing the USB cable that we'll be sending you. One cable (of 40) was defective today (the USB charger screen went blank when I plugged it in).

This new approach also lets me test each tablet's charging and battery, because the next morning, each tablet should be 100% topped up and no longer charging.

In the attached image, you can see that the tablet on port #6 is acting crazily. Sadly (sort of), the problem turned out to be the USB charger: the tablet, plugged into another port, was fine. Sigh.

I have enough chargers for 24 tablets "ready to ship", and just ordered enough chargers to up that to 80 tablets (make that 79, due to a defective port, argh)

Our goal is to plan for 40 machines made and shipped per week. That's 8 per day. We're currently at 2.5 machines made per day, but I think that our next batch will be at 4 machines made per day.

Between now and the end of June, we need to achieve 6 machines made and shipped per day, in order to hit our goal of shipping the remaining 265 machines people have already paid for.

-john

Site Sponsor
    DE1+ owner Damian Scisci has made a video showing his experiments making a "pour over" inside a portafilter basket, with a aeropress filter in the basket, and the "advanced profile" editor on his Decent Espresso machine.

gc and bigdaddy like this.

Site Sponsor
    20 espresso machines

This was the first time we've built 20 machines at once (previous time was 5 at once). We were pretty excited to get them all done, and 3 new hires started last week, helping with this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

short.jpg

85% failure rate

Our rejoicing at having built 20 espresso machines in 8 days didn't last long.

This morning, only 3 of the 20 machines passed the hipot safety tests: the other 17 failed. "hipot" runs 1700 volts (!!!) through the machine to make sure that the insulation is everywhere sufficient to prevent a potential electric shock. If any wires are too close, or not sufficient insulated, this test complains. Loudly. Literally: it's in the standard that the test gear should fail with a piercing sound.

I'm annoyed at myself because as I poked my head this morning to try to offer a helpful tip, I saw something that didn't look right to me, but I thought "no, that can't be it" and didn't speak up.

Four hours later, Johnny figured out the problem, and it indeed was what my hunch had told me.

On the 220V water heaters, one of the electrical connectors is soldered on by the factory at a different rotation than on the 110V water heaters. On 17 machines This caused the cable that plugged into it to push against the "flush diffuser" box.

Under normal 220V power, this probably wouldn't cause a problem. But at 1700V, even with the silicone insulation, electricity would jump through the insulation.

Thankfully, the solution is really simple and doesn't require us to take apart the machines. Some pliers inside the machine to bend the steam connection counter-clockwise, so it doesn't touch anything, and now the hipot test is happy.

Now I know why the safety standard requires every single machine to be hipot tested.

-john
    gc, RavenMad and sharkroman like this.

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast