Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 1604
Like Tree1241Likes

Thread: Decent Espresso Machines (DE1) - Any thoughts?

GC, just noticed your spelling and assumed it is to match previous posters or the machines terminology. Just out of interest, does the software on your Decent allow for correct spelling of metric units, as suggested by the International System of Units (SI) or only as spelt by the only country in the world which wont adopt the recommended spelling? Assume in software it would be easy to have imperial, correct metric and USA metric.

Either way wont affect taste in the cup
    RavenMad likes this.

gc
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    GC, just noticed your spelling and assumed it is to match previous posters or the machines terminology. Just out of interest, does the software on your Decent allow for correct spelling of metric units, as suggested by the International System of Units (SI) or only as spelt by the only country in the world which wont adopt the recommended spelling? Assume in software it would be easy to have imperial, correct metric and USA metric.

Either way wont affect taste in the cup
    Ha! I actually changed my spelling to match post.

In the app it just uses the safer "mm" and "ml". I guess DE have a big US market to think about (or hope to!)
    338 likes this.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gc View Post
    +1 for milliliters....altho....at what depth do you run out of water? Or can you specify the 'danger' level in milliliters as well?
    3mm is the minimum we'll allow, before we ask you to refill the tank. That represents about 70ml of water, which is juuuuuuust enough to pull an espresso.

We really don't want to run out of water during the shot, not because it's dangerous, but because it's a waste of good beans.

Note that the app lets you set the refill point you want, so if you make 200ml Americanos, I'd recommend you set ~230ml that as the minimum the machine will allow you to start a drink with, so that you don't have to watch your espresso get cold as you refill the tank later on.

-john
    gc and bigdaddy like this.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    GC, just noticed your spelling and assumed it is to match previous posters or the machines terminology. Just out of interest, does the software on your Decent allow for correct spelling of metric units, as suggested by the International System of Units (SI) or only as spelt by the only country in the world which wont adopt the recommended spelling? Assume in software it would be easy to have imperial, correct metric and USA metric. Either way wont affect taste in the cup
    There was a big discussion about a year ago, about how totally useless the US "ounces" measure is for coffee. Everyone agreed, and so American users of the DE1+ have "fahrenheit" for temperature but grams, and milliliters for weight and volume.

Note that everything on the tablet is translated, including "mL", so (for instance) Korean users gets their own translation.

-john
    338 likes this.

Perhaps a % scale would be useful? Common in industrial equipment.

Even better, a function which predicts how many shots (milk steaming included) based on historical usage patterns...

Quote Originally Posted by decentespresso View Post
    So today, I brought out the postal scale and measured the water level at each 100g increase in weight.
    <snip>
    My measurements are accurate more or less to a millimeter, as surface tension on my metal ruler was an issue.

> ml = mm * 22 + (mm ^ 1.52)

A side effect of my doing this was that I've now verified that the water tank really can take 2 liters of water. Our SolidWorks model said it could, but that's very much not reality (ie, ceramic shrinkage needs to be taken into account).
    A couple of notes: You are unlikely to end up with an exponent of 1.52 in a 3 dimensional object with substantially planar surfaces, so your measurements are likely to be out (as you note above).

If you have a solidworks model of the void space in the tank it will be easy to work out a better formula for height vs volume by taking slices of the model at 1 mm increments. I use Autocad rather than solidworks so I can't tell you the exact procedure for your software but the general principle is that you can successively slice the object and query the object parameters which will give you an exact volume.

Since shrinkage is linear it is a trivial procedure to convert from the model to the real world.
    Last edited by Lyrebird; 6th July 2018 at 11:26 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJack View Post
    Perhaps a % scale would be useful? Common in industrial equipment.
    Even better, a function which predicts how many shots (milk steaming included) based on historical usage patterns...
    "% full" to me is laziness on the part of the manufacturer.

What I feel I want to know is "how many drinks before I need to refill?"

Which is, of course, your second point.

About 70ml is needed to make an espresso, hence that's the lowest water level we'll allow, since we don't want you to run out mid-shot.

However, there's a BIG variable, which is water-for-Americanos, and to a lesser extent "are you steaming milk?".

An average water consumption number based on historical patterns would work if you always make the same drink. If you sometimes need another 200ml for the occasional Americano, you can tell the DE1+ to require a refill at 270ml.

This would be feature overkill, but what would be helpful is a chart of historical water consumption per drink, so you can make an informed decision as to what your water requirements are.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    A couple of notes: You are unlikely to end up with an exponent of 1.52 in a 3 dimensional object with substantially planar surfaces, so your measurements are likely to be out (as you note above).

If you have a solidworks model of the void space in the tank it will be easy to work out a better formula for height vs volume by taking slices of the model at 1 mm increments. I use Autocad rather than solidworks so I can't tell you the exact procedure for your software but the general principle is that you can successively slice the object and query the object parameters which will give you an exact volume.

Since shrinkage is linear it is a trivial procedure to convert from the model to the real world.
    The Solidworks solution is a nice one, but I still will need a function fitted to the curve to give me continuous measurements. However, I will get an intern to do the modeling numbers for me, since as you say, they'll be more accurate (no surface tension on the ruler messing up my measurements).

Currently, the middle of the water tank is where my estimated milliliters error is greatest (8.11% is the worst), because the the water tank suddenly gets a few centimeters wider. I adjusted the function so that the error was least at the two end-points (full, and empty)

Below is a chart showing the inacuracy of my math function in converting mm to ml. The X axis label is in 100ml. It's quite a bit better at measurements when "almost full" and it is at "almost empty"

currrent.jpg

I fiddled with the function a bit, and found that I could trade accuracy-close-to-empty for accuracy-close-to-full. Here's what this function looks like:=B2*24 +(B2^1.3)

Since I'm likely to be judged on how closely the full and empty numbers approach reality, this isn't likely a good solution either.

fiddled.jpg

It is evident from the figures that you have a biphasic function with the step as the inflexion point plus you have some measurement errors which are worst at the lower end (look at the zigzags in your error graph). The solidworks trick will get rid of the measurement errors and since you are programming this it's not hard to do a biphasic function to take into account the step.

It can be done with if statements:

If h<=step: vol = f1(h), if h > step, vol = f2(h).

Assuming step is at about 40 mm,

f1 might be vol = 22 * h + h^1.45

f2 might be vol = 1100 + 26.5* (h-40) + (h-40)^1.7

The distribution of the errors with that function makes it obvious that they are consequences of the limitations on measurement (for instance changing the first datapoint to 100ml / 4.2 mm reduces the error substantially)

If you must have a continuous single function you can often fake a biphasic function by inserting a trigonometric function.
    Last edited by Lyrebird; 6th July 2018 at 02:04 PM.

Site Sponsor
    It is evident from the figures that you have a biphasic function ... since you are programming this it's not hard to do a biphasic function to take into account the step.
    Sigh, now why didn't this solution occur to me?

Yes, I think you're 100% right. Two functions.

Many thanks.

-john

Site Sponsor
    It is evident from the figures that you have a biphasic function with the step as the inflexion point plus you have some measurement errors which are worst at the lower end (look at the zigzags in your error graph). The solidworks trick will get rid of the measurement errors and since you are programming this it's not hard to do a biphasic function to take into account the step.
    Here's a photo of the tank.

IMG_8980.jpg

There are two challenges with the water level mm->ml function:
    1) the hand-hold and widening shape of the tank about 4.5cm in height
    2) the draft angle to the ceramic, required so that it can come out of a mould.

#1 is pretty well solved by your suggestion of "different functions for different heights" and this is what fit my data best.

if {$mm < 18} {
    set exp 1.35
    } elseif {$mm < 48} {
    set exp 1.4
    } else {
    set exp 1.45
    }
    set ml [expr {((( $mm * 23) + ([::tcl::mathfunc:ow $mm $exp])))}]

#2 is hard to solve currently, since my function is working off the false idea that the water vessel has vertical sides, when actually they're sloping. That's why I have that last exponent change.

However...

The distribution of the errors with that function makes it obvious that they are consequences of the limitations on measurement (for instance changing the first datapoint to 100ml / 4.2 mm reduces the error substantially)
    You're right.

This is a bigger problem, since fitting a function to points that are mis-measured, isn't a great use of my time. So... this set of maths will do for now, until I get some better measurements using CAD.

This 2nd pass does greatly reduce the errors a lot, however.

screen 2018-07-06 at 1.40.39 PM.jpg

The sloping sides are no problem, mathematically they can be modelled as a truncated pyramid.

I'm pretty sure you can make SolidWorks export to .dwg format. If you do that and send it to me I can probably work out an exact function for you, including the handholds.
    Lav likes this.

Site Sponsor
    The sloping sides are no problem, mathematically they can be modelled as a truncated pyramid.
    You can, because ahem you didn't fail maths in Uni.

I'm pretty sure you can make SolidWorks export to .dwg format. If you do that and send it to me I can probably work out an exact function for you, including the handholds.
    Wow, now there's an offer I can't refuse! Nagging an engineer now.

-john
    gc, MrJack and Lav like this.

I use a fair bit of maths in one of my day jobs which is designing and building bicycles. Google my username followed by "cycles".

I'd post a link but that might be construed as a non sponsor link.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar

I presume the volume is just that of 'big pyramid' - 'small pyramid'?

Yep.

If the base is square and the release angles are equal the height of the big pyramid is width / (2 . tan(release angle)).

It's more complicated if the base isn't square and / or the release angles aren't equal but I can run you through the maths if you like.

Site Sponsor
    I use a fair bit of maths in one of my day jobs which is designing and building bicycles. Google my username followed by "cycles".I'd post a link but that might be construed as a non sponsor link.
    Here's a link to the DWG file:
    https://decentespresso.com/p/watertank.dwg

screen 2018-07-06 at 5.42.22 PM.jpg

Thanks, but the file opens as a 2D object in read only so I cannot do anything with it.

I do not know whether the problem lies with AutoCAD or the original file.

Site Sponsor

Progress on plumbing

plumbing.jpg

We're not yet shipping the plumbing kits for our DE1PRO customers, because I haven't yet been satisfied with our designs. Here's an update.

DRAINING THE MUCK
    For the past two years, we've been drilling a hole in our ceramic drip trays and attaching a fitting to drain the mucky water out. This has worked "fairly well". By that, I mean that it works, but the fitting tends to leak. The basic problem is that the fitting is above the bottom the of the drip tray, so there's always "standing water", which eventually seeps through the fitting.

Someone pointed me to this "drip pan" design, which seems to solve this problem. https://www.chriscoffee.com/Drain-Kit-Alex-p/adrkt.htm

The top two photos show our design to try this idea out. We'll still drill a hole into our ceramic tray, but there will be no fitting. Instead, the mucky water drains into a drip pan, which has a tube fitted to it. I do still have a concern about leaking on the new fitting leaking, but sealing metal-against-metal is a lot easier than sealing metal-against-ceramic.

PLUMBING KIT TO GO
    A not insignificant number of DE1PRO users want to travel, and if they're cafes doing catering, they want to be able to "plumb in" when they get there. So... we're going to repurpose the Tamping Kit suitcases that we have way too many of and use that to ship the plumbing kits to customers.

That way, you'll have 3 suitcases you can bring everything in:
    - your DE1PRO suitcase
    - your Barista Kit suitcase
    - your Plumbing Kit suitcase

The Tamping Kit https://decentespresso.com/tamper has been a bit of a dud because most people opt to pay a bit more and get the way-more-functional Barista Kit https://decentespresso.com/barista_kit ... So I have a warehouse full of tamping kit suitcases that I don't know what to do with. They'll now get repurposed as "Plumbing Kit To Go"

One note on the photo: we're including tubing made from surgical silicone. Clear tubing for the "clean water in" path, and black tubing for the "dirty water out". That way, while setting up your DE1PRO at a gig, you won't accidentally hook them up backward and dirty your clean water tank. But I've never made that mistake, of course. Cough.

-john

An alternative would be to remould* the drip tray so it incorporates a short tubular extension in the base.

Use a precision diamond drill when drilling the drain hole and make a drain fitting incorporating a radial O ring seal that inserts from underneath.

No muss, no fuss.

* Yes I know a new mould is megabucks. Maybe worth considering if you have to remould for other reasons.

Site Sponsor
    An alternative would be to remould* the drip tray so it incorporates a short tubular extension in the base.
    We have gone down that path as well, and modeled it up. Here's a rendering of it.

There are very real limits to what shapes fired ceramic will take, so that's why this design is so simple.
    preview-full-image.pngpreview-full-Another idea.jpg

Use a precision diamond drill when drilling the drain hole and make a drain fitting incorporating a radial O ring seal that inserts from underneath.
    That's exactly what we've been doing here for the past 2 years. We have a drill press and diamond drill tips. We've made about 30 of these. Way back in this forum, there will be discussions here about how to drill cleanly through very hard porcelain, a problem with (cooperatively) did get solved.

This approach works well, except that it does drip slightly from the remaining sludge that collects around the drain hole. By "drips slightly" I really mean slightly: perhaps 10 drops per day.

Yes I know a new mould is megabucks. Maybe worth considering if you have to remould for other reasons.
    Actually, a ceramic mould is surprisingly inexpensive (under USD$500) but the minimum order quantity of 1000 is an issue, if the design doesn't work.

We might still try this design, with the built in drain.

We have gone down that path as well, and modeled it up. Here's a rendering of it.

There are very real limits to what shapes fired ceramic will take, so that's why this design is so simple.
    preview-full-image.pngpreview-full-Another idea.jpg

That's exactly what we've been doing here for the past 2 years. We have a drill press and diamond drill tips. We've made about 30 of these. Way back in this forum, there will be discussions here about how to drill cleanly through very hard porcelain, a problem with (cooperatively) did get solved.

This approach works well, except that it does drip slightly from the remaining sludge that collects around the drain hole. By "drips slightly" I really mean slightly: perhaps 10 drops per day.

Actually, a ceramic mould is surprisingly inexpensive (under USD$500) but the minimum order quantity of 1000 is an issue, if the design doesn't work.

We might still try this design, with the built in drain.
    G'day John

As the plumbed in drip tray is completely different from the standard "non plumbed version", I would suggest that you angle the sides a lot more to reduce the actual total water capacity. There is no point having anything beyond a funnel shape (or as close as you can get to it) together with a few locating lugs (3? 4?) to hold it in place. Removing / smoothing any corners will also avoid trapping excess water. The greater the internal slope, the less water retention within the drip tray. The two reasons a) less capacity to store water and b) the greater the slope the faster the water will move down to the drainhole (which should be as large in diameter as possible - think "funnel" again). Recessing the drainhole can also help reduce any pooling issues.

Hope this helps

TampIt
    PS: Increasing the slope just before the drainhole also helps.
    Last edited by TampIt; 8th July 2018 at 01:45 AM.
    RavenMad and level3ninja like this.

Site Sponsor

Decent Espresso CAD files released

screen 2018-07-09 at 12.25.05 PM.jpg

As promised two years ago, here are downloadable CAD files for our DE1+ and DE1PRO espresso machines.
    https://decentespresso.com/de1plus#cad

What can you do with these files?
    - you might want to "hot rod" or "accessorize" your Decent Espresso machine
    - you’re planning a cafe or kitchen, and want to decide where to put the machines
    - you’d like to have the parts models so that you can CNC your own replacement parts
    -to help you do your own future repairs

You can work with the model using the free web-based OnShape CAD software: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/85...a4f513a8a6cbe1

The STEP file loads well into most CAD programs, including https://www.freecadweb.org/ and is probably better for most serious use.

-john
    Andy and magnafunk like this.

Blog Entries
    What can you do with these files?

Who's going to be the first person to 3D print a miniature Decent Espresso machine?
    Javaphile, Lav and 338 like this.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Who's going to be the first person to 3D print a miniature Decent Espresso machine?
    Hey Andy, have you seen this?

DcQzgeWW0AIF4e9.jpg

3D printed with fully movable/removable parts!

Java "Do I smell a 3D printer at work?!?" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    3D printed with fully movable/removable parts!

Java "Do I smell a 3D printer at work?!?" phile
    Looks like LEGO?

The espresso has hints of polymer and nylon
    Javaphile likes this.

Site Sponsor

A few 110V DE1+ machines, shipping today, at a $500 discount.

A few 110V DE1+ machines, shipping today, at a $500 discount.

I have a half dozen DE1+ machines in stock, that I will sell at the early-adopter price of $1999 ($500 off the current price).

Here's the catch:

1) This offer is only for people who have helped us along this journey by posting to the forums. You must have previously posted something before we started shipping (February 2018) to our discussions on Home Barista, Coffee Forums UK, Coffee Snobs, our Instagram, or on the Facebook group.

2) these machines have a slight cosmetic defect, of a rounded scratch around the front panel mounting holes. Photo attached. You'll need to be OK with that.

---

If you'd like to take me up on this, send me a personal message and include a link to one of your pre-March postings. I'll follow up with you directly afterward.

Sorry.... no 220V machines available under this offer at the moment (stay tuned).

-john

IMG_9014.jpg
    IMG_9015.jpg

Site Sponsor

Special offer sold out

IMG_9031.jpg

All the remaining DE1+ machines I had under the special offer are now sold out, and shipping today. 9 people took advantage of this, and I look forward to hearing from in the coming days, as you start pulling (hopefully decent) shots.

-john

But John, the photo only shows 7 machines?

This was a great offer and I was pleased to be able to take advantage. Many thanks!

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by tegwj View Post
    But John, the photo only shows 7 machines?
    Two machines under this offer shipped yesterday, the other 7 going out today.

We're making 25 "perfect mirror panel" machines at 220V at the moment. With about 100 people remaining on the pre-buyer list, we should be wrapped up at the end of August, and then shipping v1.1 DE1PRO machines to those who are buying from us at the moment. We're able to ship about 60 machines a month at the moment.

-john

Two machines under this offer shipped yesterday, the other 7 going out today.
    Brilliant. I don't know if you have a clean way to do it but if there is any geographical correlation with customers you can share (e.g. is anyone else in the Washington, DC area like me?) it would be good to know.

I shall refer to the imperfection on my mirror panel as the "20% Character Mark" and treat it with appropriate reverence.

If anyone is interested in a Vibiemme Domobar Double Boiler v4.0 in Northern Virginia, please let me know!

Site Sponsor

Chinese promotional video from our CNC vendor

This company makes the brass parts that go into the group head of our espresso machine. Every time you see brass in this video (and that’s often) those are Decent Espresso parts. An interesting peek inside high-end Chinese manufacturing.

Some amusing moments:
    - the ping pong tables and treadmill
    - all the girls on the right side of the table, all the boys on the left side.
    - nice matching shirts
    - really, really nice CNC and testing equipment
    - amazingly good English text-to-speech narrator (with a slightly Nordic accent?)

-john
    matth3wh and bigdaddy like this.

Site Sponsor
    safe_image.png

Scott Rao is achieving a 24% extraction on his DE1+, using an advanced profile he's developed:

https://www.scottrao.com/blog/2018/7/18/advanced-mode-on-the-de1

What makes this even more mind blowing is he's achieved it on a relatively modestly priced home grinder, the Baratza Forte.

Scott has argued his case to me that fast-water-burst-plus-pause should yield a more even extraction than the traditional "slow preinfusion" technique that I currently favor. With this new method, water dispersion through the puck should happen as evenly as is possible.

Here's the first time he's shown me the evidence. It's pretty convincing.
    matth3wh and level3ninja like this.

Decent Espresso Machines (DE1) - Any thoughts?

safe_image.png

Scott Rao is achieving a 24% extraction on his DE1+, using an advanced profile he's developed:

https://www.scottrao.com/blog/2018/7/18/advanced-mode-on-the-de1
    Saw Scott’s newsletter come out. Amazing developments when you consider those figures typically only achieved with high end grinders / EK.

Be interested to get in on any DE1+ action in the future.

Gives me food for thought to try some things on manual contraptions like Espresso Forge / Flair / Cafelat Robot.

wow. i wonder what you could pull with a de1+ and an ek....
    matth3wh and HBDecentRefugee like this.

John,

Any news on the new tamper ? ..... I will need one for my DE1+ ..... which 1 to get ?

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder55 View Post
    John, Any news on the new tamper ? ..... I will need one for my DE1+ ..... which 1 to get ?
    The new version of my tamper, should be available in the next week or two. They're getting packed at the factory now.

If you want to pre-order one now, you can at this (super secret) URL:
    https://decentespresso.com/cart?s=200+1

For pre-orders, they're the same price as the current tamper, whereas once they start shipping they'll be slightly more expensive than the current v1 tamper.

The main feature of the v2 tamper is that it now has a leveling plate. Still has a 25lb calibrated spring.

Here's a photo of the final (fourth iteration) prototype in my hand.

IMG_9032.jpg

-john

Site Sponsor

Manila is pretty Decent

Bugs and I are in Manila for 9 days, going to highbrow cultural institutions https://www.upsidedown.com.ph/, drinking too much coffee and giving a few talks. Then density of serious coffee places within walking distance is pretty impressive. And clearly the local salesman for Kees van der Westen is making a very, very good living here.

In no particular order, here's a few visuals.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 11.05.21 AM.jpg

DE1+ a fortuitous change of direction

A funny thing happened along my way to an e61 dual boiler. About two years ago, I started to search for my next espresso machine. I was taking my time and was slowly and comfortably narrowing my choices and was leaning toward an e61 dual boiler configuration. I was close to settling on either a QM Vetrano 2B as a solid value or the new (at the time) sexy ECM Synchronika. Reading up, I came across the Decent Espresso (DE) saga and followed along. Intrigued, but skeptical, I read everything I could find and continued to watch the development. Over time I had the opportunity to correspond with John about various aspects of the design. In the end, there is no gleaming e61 in my kitchen. But in early June this arrived:
    P1030705.jpgP1030707.jpgP1030708.jpg

This started a whole new journey that has been loads of fun as I figure out how to begin to use its capacity. For now I have been focusing on making shots using a basic pressure profile with preinfusion:
    P1030719.jpgP1030734.jpg

The last picture represents a typical shot showing pressure, flow and temperature over time.
    samuellaw178 and JMcCee like this.

Site Sponsor
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Don't forget to peel off the protective plastic layer on the screen

P1030719.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HBDecentRefugee View Post
    The last picture represents a typical shot showing pressure, flow and temperature over time.
    Your shot looks good, but just a wee bit fast on the flow rate in its middle section, and thus likely a bit more sour than it could be.

Can I suggest one change, and that's to make that angle of the pressure drop steeper? Change that ending pressure down to perhaps 3 bar, and see if that helps keeps your flow rate from going above 3 ml/s.

In general, I find that over a 3 ml/s flow rate, the resulting liquid is fairly weak and bitter.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 12.01.08 PM.jpg

Site Sponsor
    There's quite a lot of discussion on HB from both DE1+ owners and non-owners.

Two live ones at the moment:

This one has been going on for a few months:
    https://www.home-barista.com/espress...t52582-60.html

and this new thread is 9 days old:
    https://www.home-barista.com/espress...0.html#p601073

the two most recent posts:

DE1 has that super fast warm up and flexibility. I also think it is very attractive with it's minimalist design. It's much more countertop friendly and won't heat up the house. Honestly in 5 years they may take the home market if they can continue to evovle this 1.x machine.

I love seeing updates to the DE threads. Very few complaints and a LOT of praise!

The de1+ is truely one of its kind...there is so much which we previously took as the norm in traditional espresso machine, ie long warm up time, cold/hot flushes, warming up of the environment , guess work (dependent on machine) that we had to live with. Suddenly with the de1 all these things are taken away, living just the pure espresso making process.

I am now in a predicament of buying a second espresso machine for personal office use. Currently using the de1 at home and I am thinking of getting a more traditional espresso machine but just the thought of going thru the above issues with the traditional machine again makes me seriously reconsider my options..

The de1 has really spoilt me, I feel like this whiney complaining brat whenever I use back a traditional espresso machine.

Site Sponsor
    hario.jpg

Found out about the Hario Samantha "smart brewer" yesterday.

I was (somewhat) amused to see them make a proud feature of the very thing that Intertek forbid us to do for UL approval: control hot water starting over bluetooth.

Gotta love the arbitrary nature of UL rule enforcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FsGYW5ZQvA
    gc likes this.

Site Sponsor
    The one-off prototype for the Decent Espresso v1.1 legs and chassis arrived last week while I was in Manila, and a test machine is being built with it.

We'll do some stress testing next week. Assuming all looks good, this will become the new leg set for DE1+ owners, and will be what we send to people who have waited to receive leg replacements from us (in the cases where theirs got bent in shipping)

Also, the sides of the legs are now continuously welded, so paint fractures should be harder to cause.

-john

IMG_9168.jpg

IMG_9167.jpeg

IMG_9170.jpg
    RavenMad likes this.

Site Sponsor

How to: no hands foam

Here's my technique for steaming milk without having to stand there babying it.

^^^

You should have a longer steam spout, then you wouldn't need to place something under the jug. Elementary.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    You should have a longer steam spout, then you wouldn't need to place something under the jug. Elementary.
    Something like this?

IMG_9191.jpg
    HBDecentRefugee likes this.

That is the ugliest steam wand I've ever seen just extend the original and leave about 12 to 15 mm clearance to the drip tray.
    topshot likes this.

Have to be a pretty short jug..
    MFR likes this.

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast