Thread: Bezerra Galatea Domus Question

mg

Bezerra Galatea Domus Question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I recently bought the new Galatea Domus and ECM Best grinder, I am now trying to get conistent espresso shots from both single and double PFs. Things are geneally OK - still a little variable as I think I am struggling on dosing.

However, a nagging issue is that generally after each pour I get a good firm puck but (and most commonly on the single PF) when I remove the PF from the group head there is a small amount of water on top of the puck that immediately dissapates on removal - this is also often accompanied by a small release of water from the long pipe that sits above the drip tray (sorry dont know what the technical term is as I am new to this).

Pour time is generally 25-28 secs for a single shot of ~30ml. I have tried updosing a little by tapping the PF 3-4 times, re-dosing and then brushing excess off with a knife or finger. When I do this (particularly with the single PF) the PF is hard to attach and all I get after about 25 sec is maybe 5-10ml of black syrup.

So I suppose my first question - is it normal to have the small amount of water on the top of the otherwise firm puck (I can see the ss imprints in the puck) that dissipates quickly or do I have a bigger problem

My second question is does anyone have a good dosing technique for Bezzera as from what I understand they have a lower SS than most others in their class

Thanks,

MG

Re: Bezerra Galatea Domus Question

Hi MG
    on my Bezzera I fill to a mound, lightly tap 3 or 4 times on the bench, level off and tamp lightly. While I do aim for about 25 sec, Id be watching mostly for signs of blonding to pull the shot at that point if it happens before the 25 sec.
    I use a mix of grind change, tap on bench change or tamp change to adjust for different ambient temperature or humidity. However, having said that, Id advise you to go for a medium tamp, a polish/twist with the absolute lightest pressure and adjust the grind. If I take the p/f out straight away the top of the coffee puck is sometimes a little wet. Big question (and the right one)- how does it taste?
    The tube you are talking about is the drain from the 3-way valve which takes pressure away from the grouphead so you dont get that great explosion of coffee from the p/f when you remove it!
    Bezzeras are very capable and forgiving machines- itll all be fine.
    Regards
    Brett

mg

Thanks Brett - I will try what you have mentioned. Thusfar coffee generallu tastes great - more consistency required on my side though.

Thanks,

Mark

Stew

I have exactly the same thing on my Giotto. I just assumed it was a little excess water from the shower screen that is not flushed away by the operation of the three way valve (water cant flow up hill after all). As you said it disappears after a second or so into the puck. I also find that if I leave the PF in place while I steam then the water is gone by the time I remove the handle.

Like you when I first got the machine I tried updosing more to get rid of the problem and only ended up making it difficult to insert the PF and a tar like pour.

Just ignore it now as the cup is what counts.

mg

Thanks Stew - I have noticed exactly the same thing - when I leave the PF in place and then steam the puck is dry.

I think now my main problem is mastering the dosing differences between the Single and Double PFs. If I settle the mound on the single PF then add some more coffee, level and tamp the PF is overloaded whereas on the Double PF if I dont follow that routine I have severly under dosed and get a really rapid pour. So I think I have the double almost sorted but I must admit I am still struggling with the single

Any advice greatly appreciated

Mark G.

Hi Mark
    most people struggle for a while with the single- a better option for the moment would be making a strong single in the traditional way- pack the double as per usual and pour a 15 sec with both spouts.
    Otherwise you could dose as per the double and experiment with scratching a little out with your finger- the way Ive seen that done is that instead of using the side of a finger to level after dosing (or using the lid of the grinder) you rest just the finger tip on the edge as you scrape it- leaves a little indent, then tamp. I doesnt matter how you do it so long as it is repeatable.Im sure there are more technical ways- another is if you use any sort of tapping in the dose, just eliminate the tap- it means a smaller dose as you arent settling the grounds.
    Brett