Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JMcCee
  • 1 Post By artman

Thread: Buying first machine and rather overwhelmed >_<

Question Buying first machine and rather overwhelmed >_<

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all

I've been poking around for a couple of months now trying to figure out which machine to get and have read a lot of great advice..some of it contradictory which is the way of things :) nearing making a decision now but just wanted to do one last check :)

Basically I'm wanting to spend around 2K but could push a bit higher if it made a big enough difference. My usage is low quantity, mostly for 1-2 people very rarely more but daily use. It would primarily be making latte's so it seemed my best option was for a HX?

I'm not overly fussed by aesthetics (function over form). I do have a grinder which while not brilliant hopefully should be suitable for the short term and down the track I can invest in a nicer one. Basically (potential) coffee quality and machine reliability are the primary considerations :). I guess one secondary concern (although not mandatory) is warm up time, I know it's going to take a while no matter what I get but I'd prefer to keep it on the lower end of the spectrum if at all possible. Timers wouldn't be the most functional solution for me unfortunately due to waking at irregular times. Still worst comes to worst it'd be an incentive to try and sort that ;)

I've been offered a Expobar Leva for 2K that I've been strongly considering, it seemed to be suited to my needs from what I've read and the price is a bit cheaper than I've seen around+is local which is uncommon enough. However I've seen threads with people recommending Bezzera BZ10's, VBM Junior's and Diadema juniors (although those are a little pricier) over Leva's. Not sure if that's a consensus opinion around or just everyone has their preferences kind of thing? (obviously confused :P).

This is a rather big purchase for me but well worth it if I can get something I'm happy with that'll last a good long while as I drink a rather huge amount of lattes and well..... They add up price wise :P

Thanks in advance (and thanks for all the advice I've gleaned poking around too :))

One thing to consider is that differences in the quality in the cup will practically be non-existing for the machines you are referring to. A possible “outlier” would be the BZ10, because of this lot I think it is the only “non-E61” machine that has an electrically heated grouphead instead. Does that mean it produces a lesser drink? I am biased, but no, I don’t think so. Its benefits are in terms of practicality: small footprint, but still a 3 liter water reservoir and plenty of steam power for producing lattes in a non-commercial environment; the grouphead is easily removable and thus easy to maintain. Most people are attracted to the E61-based machines for the proven record, rightfully so, or its esthetics. It just does have a long heat-up time (some 30-40 minutes), which the BZ10 cuts in half.

So much for considerations that led to my decision at the time. I suggest you try and have a look at some of the machines in the metal. Given that drinks from these machines will be equally tasty If prepared well, visting a showroom may be of far more help for you in making the right decision.

Yep as above. Once you get into the decent machine territory (and even prior really), the end result will be fantastic with the right ingredients and technique. Best to see as many as you can in the flesh, its the little things that can make the machine great for you or be a pain.

Also, dont exclude decent, well looked after second hand gear if you dont need to have new.

Lelit do a small dual boiler with quick heat up time.

You are right, as you are making lots of milk drinks, a HX or dual boiler will make things much easier.

Cheers

Rbn
    Interesting thread for an EM 6910/7000 user! Almost treason to post on here with that confession.

Had a look at E61 machines.
    Just for interest and to wonder about if I was to try going upmarket, if I could justify it to "her indoors" who does not drink coffee, well maybe 3 a year!

What do Csers' think of the BFC Junior Plus Lever E61 Professional Home Espresso Machine.
    The cost of the rest seemed a step too far financially.

What difference would I notice in the cup, is the key question.
    I know it would look great!
    Last edited by rawill; 18th November 2017 at 11:17 AM.

What grinder do you have? A dodgey grinder is a sure way to minimise the impact of a decent machine

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    Interesting thread for an EM 6910/7000 user! Almost treason to post on here with that confession.

Had a look at E61 machines.
    Just for interest and to wonder about if I was to try going upmarket, if I could justify it to "her indoors" who does not drink coffee, well maybe 3 a year!

What do Csers' think of the BFS Junior Plus Lever E61 Professional Home Espresso Machine.
    The cost of the rest seemed a step too far financially.

What difference would I notice in the cup, is the key question.
    I know it would look great!
    Not sure I get why the BFC (Diadema) Jnr Plus Lever would be more affordable than many other decent heat exchanger machines? Is there a very limited local range available to you?

Anyway, the Diademas are very well built, solid machines (as are a number of other machines in the same price range). Very hard to say what difference you'd notice in the cup. Assuming you have a reasonable grinder and fresh beans, there'll be a difference, but how much you appreciate that difference is a personal thing.

Well looked after, the BFC will last many many more years than the Sunbeam.

*I'm assuming that BFS = BFC.

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post

*I'm assuming that BFS = BFC.
    Yes my typo.

I only did a google search to see what E61 units were and that was the least expensive unit I could see on a particular site.

Just wondering.
    Does 10,000 shots on a 6910 sound like a good deal, new steam thermoblock, and just fitted a new collar.
    Unit built 2007.

Coffee Fiend
    That's a good deal if it's your machine - probably not so much for the person buying it IMO...

Thanks all for the tips

If the quality of coffee levels out at a certain price point that definitely makes things simpler. I'm guessing also there's no significant (or at least well documented) difference in reliability between the ones I listed either?

That does leave me slightly confused as to what the significance is in trying it out but I'm guessing that's my lack of experience showing . I'm going to have to learn from scratch so at least in terms of 'familiarity' etc it's a nice blank slate.

@nickm I don't think the grinder is terrible (I hope it isn't). Just not at the level of the ones that tend to get recommended here. It's a Kitchenaid Artisan 5kcg100, a relative was gifted it but had absolutely no use for it so has passed it along in anticipation of getting a machine to use with it. Down the track I'll keep an eye out for a good 2nd hand deal on a nicer one as an upgrade ^_^

If I did head into a showroom...Where would I go? I'm in Perth and I've looked through all the sponsors, it doesn't look like any of the ones selling machines are in Perth just parts and coffee (ahh the wonders of being so damn isolated :P) and Google doesn't seem to be providing any either.

If there really is that little choice locally it does add a bit of incentive to go with the offer I have, it's from a primarily commercial supplier so I can't go in and try it as they'd be ordering it in for me but at least it would mean if there were any issues my point of contact would be local rather than 3,000km's away :P

I have been keeping an eye out for 2nd hand models as well although haven't seen one pop up that fits yet, plus getting a warranty and such is certainly nice for piece of mind on a 4 figure purchase although a big enough discount would certainly make me consider it

If anyone does know any well stocked showrooms in Perth though please do let me know.

Forget the rest and buy one of the best. And have change left over. Still cant believe the price on Charlie's BZ99.

https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/.../bezzera-bz99/
    Dimal likes this.

Dimattina in Osborne Park were building a big showroom. There is also a place in Bibra Lake, and North Perth (names escapes me).

Cheers
    greenman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Dimattina in Osborne Park were building a big showroom. There is also a place in Bibra Lake, and North Perth (names escapes me).

Cheers
    Agree with artman, Dimattina have a comprehensive range of equipment in their new showroom with knowledgeable staff and good backup service.