Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By flynnaus

Thread: Used HX machine arrived with particles coming out of the brew/hot water

Used HX machine arrived with particles coming out of the brew/hot water

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I just purchased a used Expobar Office Pulser on eBay and since receiving it I've found small particles that look like salt coming out of the brew head and hot water. I've flushed the boiler with fresh water 7-8 times and it has improved but they still remai

Is this scale build up? Will a descaler be too harsh and block the internals? I think the unit is 6+ years old but otherwise things look good and seem to function well.

Do you know if you have earth leakage protection (RCD etc) on the power point you're using?
    I ask because the small particles you're seeing sound a bit like the silica grains inside most heating elements.
    If it is the case it means the element has a small crack allowing grains out but also water in.
    I had a couple of second hand machines (one was sold as working) trip my RCD when first plugged in.

I believe it does, I should mention I'm an aussie living in USA. This unit is 115V and the wall plug here has TEST and RESET buttons which appear to work. It hasn't tripped anything so far.

If you post a photo it should be easy to tell if it's scale or element guts

IMG_20171119_190547.jpg

Ok so I've purged it 2 more times to get a photo and it's almost entirely gone now. Pretty difficult to shoot, but you can see what looks like black specks...

Someone may have descaled using citric acid instead of liquid descaler. Citric will leave wee bits rather than disolving.

Keep flushing.

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Is there any way you can empty the tank without having to purge through the group head?

It might be more efficient to half fill the tank, swirl around and empty to suspend the solid particles in the water and get rid of them that way? Firing up the boiler and purging them through the group head they might settle and you will only get small amounts coming out at a time.

Don't forget to fill / flush the boiler also. If you are purging just the group then the boiler water will remain untouched.

Turn on machine until boiler gets to pressure, turn off machine, open up hot water tap and drain as much as you can. let cool before powering up (make sure tank is full) and repeat a few times until you are getting clear water. Turning off the machine and letting it cool is a precaution so you dont flood the hot empty boiler with cold water, eliminates potential thermal shock.

Cheers

Thanks guys, yeah I should mention the flushing I've been doing is getting the boiler to temp, switching the unit off and then emptying through the hot water tap. It's improving so I think the "keep flushing" advice is most appropriate.

Cheers

As it sounds like you don't know much about the history of your Expobar, it might be worth having it professionally serviced by a reputable technician. This would include checking and replacing seals, investigating scale build up and tweaking your machine for optimum performance.
    Dimal, level3ninja and zeezaw like this.