Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By bigdaddy
  • 3 Post By Di_Bartoli
  • 1 Post By Di_Bartoli
  • 1 Post By corrupt
  • 1 Post By mjs

Thread: Expobar Minore IV power outlet

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Redlands , Queensland
    Posts
    35

    Expobar Minore IV power outlet

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

    I have been wanting to buy an Expobar Minore IV but have one concern. As it is a dual boiler and has 2000 watt heating elements(draw max ~ 16.6 amps) at a glance this would seem to cause overload on normal household circuits. Am I being to anal or is this a concern?

    Gordon.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, S.A.
    Posts
    214
    Hi gordons,

    I don't know what plugs those machines use but if I were looking for one and had a concern like yours, I would be checking the plug of a demo machine in a shop and also talking to the retailer about your situation...If the earth pin is normal size then chances are the machine would be good for any power point in the house but if the earth pin is a thick one, then you would need to get an electrician into your house to run a power line with a 15 amp socket to suit the machine...

    Cheers.
    gordons likes this.

  3. #3
    Site Sponsor Di_Bartoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    647 Botany Road, Rosebery, NSW 2018
    Posts
    929
    The machine come with 10 amp plug, the way that this machine works is one boiler at the time which it means Steam gets to temperature and them the coffee boiler kicks in, no both at the same time. Of course if you want both heating elements going at the same time you may need a 15amp and 15amp socket in your house

    Hope that this helps

    Regards

    Renzo
    Di Bartoli
    Dimal, sten186 and gordons like this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Redlands , Queensland
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
    Hi gordons,

    I don't know what plugs those machines use but if I were looking for one and had a concern like yours, I would be checking the plug of a demo machine in a shop and also talking to the retailer about your situation...If the earth pin is normal size then chances are the machine would be good for any power point in the house but if the earth pin is a thick one, then you would need to get an electrician into your house to run a power line with a 15 amp socket to suit the machine.
    Cheers.
    Thanks BD - I was aware of the plug size but I just had a mental block on the over the combined 4000 watts.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Redlands , Queensland
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Di_Bartoli View Post
    The machine come with 10 amp plug, the way that this machine works is one boiler at the time which it means Steam gets to temperature and them the coffee boiler kicks in, no both at the same time. Of course if you want both heating elements going at the same time you may need a 15amp and 15amp socket in your house

    Hope that this helps

    Regards

    Renzo
    Di Bartoli
    Thanks Renzo - How would the machine figure out if using a 15amp plug and socket?

    regards,
    Gordon

  6. #6
    Site Sponsor Di_Bartoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    647 Botany Road, Rosebery, NSW 2018
    Posts
    929
    You need to reprogram your PID, i just check the instructions does not say how but in other machines this is how you do it. Suggestion call DISAVE (Expobar Australia) they should be able to guide you.
    If you need the number let me know

    Regards
    gordons likes this.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    11
    Correct only 1 boiler fires at a time with the steamer getting priority. I always just turn the main switch on until it gets to temp then switch the steamer on.
    gordons likes this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Redlands , Queensland
    Posts
    35
    Thanks "corrupt". After all the feedback I have settled on the Minore DB - just need to arrange with local dealer for new machine. Have you any tips on the machine?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Redlands , Queensland
    Posts
    35
    Today my new Expobar Minore IV arrived - Excitement set in, so unpacked, setup, added water and powered up(all the worry about current was allayed). Opened water and steam to allow tanks to fill, then waited and waited and waited(about 40-45 minutes) ground 18g fresh coffee and pulled first shot. A bit watery, so set finer grind and gave it a second go. Much better, but still not right yet. Still now did the milk thingy - bloody hell quick. Not bad for first time though and significant other commented milk was better than previous machine(SB 6910), but(they always have a but) said coffee was a little weak. So now I just need to get the grind/amount right, so let the fun begin.

  10. #10
    mjs
    mjs is online now
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by gordons View Post
    Today my new Expobar Minore IV arrived - Excitement set in, so unpacked, setup, added water and powered up(all the worry about current was allayed). Opened water and steam to allow tanks to fill, then waited and waited and waited(about 40-45 minutes) ground 18g fresh coffee and pulled first shot. A bit watery, so set finer grind and gave it a second go. Much better, but still not right yet. Still now did the milk thingy - bloody hell quick. Not bad for first time though and significant other commented milk was better than previous machine(SB 6910), but(they always have a but) said coffee was a little weak. So now I just need to get the grind/amount right, so let the fun begin.
    Have had a Minore III for quite a while now and still love it. You just need to get the grind/amount/tamp right to get 60ml of goodness in 25secs. You will not look back
    gordons likes this.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Redlands , Queensland
    Posts
    35
    6plus weeks into new machine so here are experiences to date:

    1. Shots are so much better than previous machine. Took a bit of experimenting to get grind setup to liking - I use Merlo Espresso blend. It is available locally and I can get it within 3-6 days of roasting.

    2. Steam has been problematic and takes a bit of attention. The pressure relief valve has been replaced as the original was leaking. I have noticed the steam gauge sits on about 1-1.1 bar, but drops to about 0.6-0.7 when steaming. I have tried running steam for about 10-15 seconds, turning off then steaming milk but pressure still drops to around 0.6-0.7 when steaming.

    IS this normal. Milk comes up to heat very quickly still but I feel it is not swirling as fast as I would expect.
    Last edited by gordons; 28th September 2018 at 05:33 PM.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •