Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By flynnaus
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By glint

Thread: New Machine Advice - 2k - 3k Budget

New Machine Advice - 2k - 3k Budget

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So Ive had a BES900 for about 7 years now, and its about time I upgraded (although the BES900 is really a cracker of a machine for the price). Machine gets a reasonable workout (4 lattes morning weekdays, 6 each weekend day) plus I usually do family functions etc.

My understanding from all the reading is that the jump from 2-3k isnt so great in terms of tech - but Id be willing to make the jump if longevity / features / serviceability can be shown.

Shortlist so far:

Bezzera Z10 (like quick heatup, especially coming from a BES900)
    Profitec 500
    Decent Espresso (Dark horse, who knows about reliability, but like the approach to solving what is essentially an engineering problem).

Open to recommendations as well.

Thanks!

If your Breville is still working well and ticking your boxes, why not hang on to it a bit longer.

• The Decent isn't yet available and accepting pre-orders only.

• The Bezzera BZ10 has a heated grouphead which is designed to provide better thermostabilty rather than faster heat up time. It has a smaller footprint than the Profitec if bench space is an issue.

• The Profitec has a larger boiler so might provide a bit more steaming oomph for your family functions.

There are plenty of other good HXs in the sub-$3k range. Eg ECM Technica or Mechanica, Rocket Appartamento, Lelit Mara, etc. If you can get along to a shop that sells a large range of machines, you will get a better idea.
    What about a grinder? What do you have at the moment?
    coffeechris and Dimal like this.

Thanks for the reply!

RE: Breville - yeah its been a tough decision to move on, but all good things must eventually come to an end. It has a few small issues that I could fix but CBF (collar is starting to let portafilter slip, screen screw is stripped, steam wand needs a new seal). And besides I feel like Im ready for something new and shiny.

I think visiting a shop would be a good idea - whose in inner SE melbourne?

Check the list of site sponsors near the bottom of this page. Antony from Casa Espresso in Brighton is a regular contributor to the CS community. There are other non-sponsor coffee machine vendors in and around Melbourne of course but you'll have to search for them.

Thanks for the referral Flynn

Howser we have the :
    BZ 10 https://www.casaespresso.com.au/bezzera-bz10.html
    ECM Mechanika https://www.casaespresso.com.au/ecm-mechanika.html
    Izzo Vivi PID https://www.casaespresso.com.au/izzo-vivi-pid.html
    CIME CO 01 https://www.casaespresso.com.au/cime-01.html

All in stock amongst others that are worth considering

Feel free to call or PM if you would like to come and have a look in person

Cheers

Antony
    (03) 9530 8992
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    coffeechris likes this.

Thanks for all the replies!

OK Im back on the hunt!

Looking for some feedback on my shortlist for machines:

BZ10
    Profitec 500
    Mitica
    Maybe the ECM Slim or a Lelit Dual Boiler.

Both of the Bezzeras can be had for a good price (Mitica same as profitec) and I like the joysticks. However, the engineering looks a bit neater / more robust on the german designed machines.

The mitica has the benefit of the rotary - but I just feel the profitec would be a better "Machine".

Thoughts and feedback appreciated!

Just bought the ECM and loving it. Plenty of steam and nice small footprint and makes great coffee. Best price I found was from Crema Coffee Garage in Brisbane (or Newcastle) great and great people to deal with, thoroughly recommended.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks Glint.

Another thought that occured today - what kind of maintenance routine is required with these machines? (Ie. weekly backflushes, etc)