Thread: VBM Domobar junior/BFC Junior Plus/ECM Mechanika Slim

VBM Domobar junior/BFC Junior Plus Lever/ECM Mechanika Slim

I have nailed my selection down to the above 3 machines. The first 2 have been around for quite awhile and the Mechanika slim is the new kid on the block. All 3 Manufactures have very good reputations. The finish/bling on the ECM and BFC ahead of the VBM, but all stainless frame is a plus for the VBM. Lots of discussion around about Stainless boilers versus Copper but the Slim has a Stainless group head also, any thoughts on this? Will be using a Everpure 4FCS water filter so should not have issues with either a Copper or a Stainless Boiler.
    Large 2.2lt boiler with 1200w element on the ECM, 1.45lt with 1600w VBM and 1.3lt with 1300w for the BFC. To me the VBM seems to strike the right balance here. I am a fan of the twin gauges on the ECM and VBM
    Our bench space would allow a larger machine but I don't need to go larger as I believe these 3 offer great performance for our needs.
    I like conventional knobs/valves rather than levers for steam and hot water.
    Not interested in PIDs etc.
    Rotary pump would be nice but realize they cannot fit in the smaller machines so happy with the Vibration pump setup.
    95% milk based coffees for my wife and I and will rarely make more than 4 coffees at any one time.
    Will be teamed with a very good Grinder.
    Hoping this will be the last Machine I need to purchase.
    Will be contacting the Site Sponsors for quotes after visiting a couple of the Sponsors stores here in Brisbane.
    Have I missed something that will help in my decision.
    Thankyou for any input.
    Maurice
    Last edited by Birkin7; 15th April 2018 at 02:50 PM.

Hey there, I'm in the same boat as you with the sort of machine I'm looking to get.

Have you also considered the Izzo Vivi, the Rocket Appartamento or anything in the Bezzera lineup?

Hi Horse, The Izzo is not on my radar as from what I can find it is not available in Brisbane. I know I can get it shipped up from down South without a problem but it is more the service/spare parts I am worried about. Also it has a PID and I am not really interested in this.
    The Apartmento I will be looking at in the next couple of weeks but it is not in the top 3 at the moment. This may change once I have given it a try.
    The Bezzera BZ 10 is great value at the moment but I like knobs not levers on the steam and water and also like the traditional E61 group head with the thermosyphon and lever rather than the BZ 10 electric element and switch/soleniod for group head. That's just my personal preference as Bezzera has a long manufacturing history and make some nice looking machines.
    Cheers

Hey Birkin7,

What at did you end up going for? I’m in the same boat.

I brought the VBM Junior.
    I have replied to you in the ECM Mechanika Slim post.
    If you get a chance to look inside a VBM and a ECM it will give you some peace of mind in how well both machines are built.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Birkin7 View Post
    I brought the VBM Junior.
    I have replied to you in the ECM Mechanika Slim post.
    If you get a chance to look inside a VBM and a ECM it will give you some peace of mind in how well both machines are built.
    Maurice
    Hope your enjoying your machine. I ended up going for the ECM Mechanika Slim. What a fabulous piece of kit! I preferred the look and the larger boiler. Also the fact that the water tank is open and can be removed easily to fill. Not a fan of the Vibiemme tank with the little cap and hoses.

Great Machine I am sure you will enjoy the excellent coffee.
    Yes I am enjoying my machine, I am still keeping it very shinny.
    Cheers
    Maurice

Great Machine I am sure you will enjoy the excellent coffee.
    Yes I am enjoying my machine, I am still keeping it very shinny.
    Cheers
    Maurice
    Haha, I know that feeling, buff out every finger print with the tea towel

I am still keeping it very shinny.
    You kick it when it misbehaves?

Like Zeppelin, I went the ECM Mechanika V route and love it, and like I have said recently, in that range it is pretty hard to make a choice that will produce poor coffee. Enjoy your VBM. I think my wife has started to settle down with the more dramatic appearance of the ECM compared with the old Silvia. At least, there have been no complaints at all about the coffee.
    Last edited by beensean; 1 Week Ago at 06:15 PM. Reason: better word