Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Snig
  • 1 Post By Yelta

Thread: Assistance with original Izzo Vivi (no PID) machine

Assistance with original Izzo Vivi (no PID) machine

Hi,

Wondering if anyone could help me with a Izzo Vivi machine I recently purchased? It was a bit of an impulse buy from an op shop, and while it is not currently working, it was very cheap and came with a couple of E61 portafilters and an Isomac Professionale grinder in good working condition - so I figured that even if the machine is cactus I will still be ahead. The unit in question is a very early model (I think it is a Mark I but also has some features that appear to be associated with a Mark II - for example the hole in the lid for adjusting the pressurestat is in the correct place).

Unfortunately its water reservoir (and possibly an associated water level float/reed switch if this model had one) is missing. Rigging up a temporary water tank and turning on the machine results in noise from the pump but no decrease in water levels from the reservoir and eventually it beeped so I turned the machine off. The red and green indicator lights on the front of the machine remain off.

At the bottom of the space where the water reservoir would normally fit is a white unit with a line that joins into the output of the vibe pump underneath the boiler...I don't understand what this is for (particularly as it seems to consume space that appears to be occupied by the reservoir in later Izzo models e.g. the Alex)? Any ideas?

Suggestions for how to troubleshoot the water supply problem, and where I can obtain any of the following, would be greatly appreciated:

1. Circuit diagram and exploded parts diagram (I can find these for the later models but not this one);

2. Parts in general - but specifically a replacement water reservoir (e.g. would https://www.vanpommeren.nl/onderdele...-v3-tf335.html fit if I can relocate the white thingy above?) and associated water level sensor and wiring (e.g. https://www.vanpommeren.nl/onderdele...ank-el-82.html - but not sure if this can be wired into the existing Gigar controller? A related article (Convert Izzo machines to electronic low water detection - Coffeetime Extra) suggests it should be possible - but an actual circuit diagram for the Gigar controller would be helpful.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers, Simon

Probably best to call or email Casa espresso Simon. I believe they have a share in the importation of Izzo machines now (could be wrong).

If nothing else They should be able to tell you where to look for parts etc.

Remove the pump out put hose and then turn on pump.
    Possibly the fill solenoid is stuck closed so will not open?

Id be just jerry rigging any sort of a water reservoir till you get it working.

Thanks for your suggestions Lukemc and Jackster.

Generally the water float switch and reservoir present switch will be a no contact. So to delete these features you join the wires.

I have ordered a 1/4 push fit float. So if i mount that inside my reservoir and connent my filtered water to it, (with pressure reducer) its effectively plumbed in.

Simon,

Give me a call if needed

Antony
    (03) 9530 8992

Thanks for offer to call you

Antony,

Thanks for the offer - much appreciated.

I am usually based in Canberra - but currently living in Switzerland. As this is 8 hours behind Oz, if I do call it will probably need to be late afternoon your time...

Thanks, Simon
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Some progress (but no cigar yet)

Just a quick update. Took the case off today and had a bit more of a look around.

Eventually realised that the white thingy at the bottom of the space where the cold water reservoir would normally be, is in fact a water inlet solenoid of some sort - so it looks like the unit was directly plumbed to a water line previously. This would explain why the cold water reservoir was missing in the first place (and presumably the two disconnected wires going to the gigar unit would normally be going to the water level sensor in the water reservoir).

waterinputsolenoid.jpg

After removing the solenoid, I rigged up the temporary tank again, and was very hopeful that this time I might actually get some water going into the unit.

temporarywatertank.jpg

No such luck unfortunately (same symptoms as before). I guess the next step will be to remove the water pump for disassembly, clean/check? Like the machine, the pump is old (see 2003 date stamp) so I do plan to replace it....but if I can get the old pump going to at least start checking the rest of the unit that would be good.

waterpump.jpg

As before, any suggestions for the best plan of attack would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon
    Last edited by Snig; 17th April 2018 at 10:37 PM.

Undo the pipe that comes out of the pump. Then turn the pump on.

I have no pics yet. I think you need another post or 2 and they will show up

Your links are bad Snig.

Java "We no-see-um" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Nup...
    This is the dead link from one of the pics:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Sx...9-w742-h989-no

Quote Originally Posted by Snig View Post
    ...sorry do you mean the pictures aren't appearing (which is what Jackster is referring to - I will do some dummy posts to get my post count up and hopefully this will fix it)...
    Your pictures are visible to no one other than yourself as you're viewing your private google account. This has nothing to do with your post count and as such your dummy posts have been removed. Rather than linking to pictures on your google drive post the pictures directly on here by uploading them. If you need help with this have a gander at this post.

Java "Pics" phile

No we can't.

Java "Nope!" phile

OK thanks for the clarification Javaphile - and apologies for my user error.

I was using the WYSIWG editor and because it let me copy and paste directly from my Google Image library I hadn't realised it was in fact embedding a private link to the image (I was hoping to avoid having to download and then upload each image). I will fix the links for those posts I can still edit...

...and FYI here is a picture of the complete beast (as I stuffed up the link in my first post and can no longer edit it)...

Attachment 18901

Still can't see it:
    "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the
    administrator"

It lives!

As per Jackster's suggestion I removed the water pump and lines and tested it external to the unit. Did not work at first so dismantled, reassembled and tested again - success!

pumptest.jpg

Reinstalled old pump in machine, filled boiler and tested steam, hot water and group - all appear to be operating as expected (not bad for a 50 CHF e.g. $67 purchase!). Next steps install new pump (with better mounts), replace group gasket, shower screen (looks pretty gummy), check e61 seals etc.

Thanks everyone for your help.

You owe us a coffee. ��

I suggested running it in the frame. But you would have had to pull it to fix the motor anyway.

I have made one of those test leads, but 240v scares the crap out of me, and i havent used it.
    I made the lead in order to descale steam side of my 6910, without the thermoblock being switched on.
    Last edited by Jackster; 18th April 2018 at 09:14 AM.

Virtual coffee!

Agreed...but a photo of the first decent cup once the machine is going properly might have to suffice (I am a long way from Perth unfortunately ;-)

Shower screen removal - bike tyre levers work well

Shower screen was really stuck. As per suggestions posted elsewhere I tried both a screwdriver and a spoon without much luck (didn't have a paint tin lid removal tool handy as per another suggestion I saw).

I didn't really want to use something metal for risk of scratching...and then I thought I wonder if bicycle tyre levers might work?

First (cheaper) set flexed too much, but better quality (Park Tools) set (blue ones in photo below) did the trick. Gasket was not too bad but as expected shower screen is pretty gummed up - will replace both...

showerscreen.jpg

Im sure you will have or will need to buy some backflush powder.
    Soak your shower screen in some of that, as well as everything else that has coffee oils on. The shower screen will come up like new. Just mix some up in warm water and soak any bits that look like your shower screen.

I backflush and the stuff that ends up in the drip tray, i utilize to soak anything that needs extra love. I have a brass wire brush that is pretty good for metal bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Im sure you will have or will need to buy some backflush powder.
    Soak your shower screen in some of that, as well as everything else that has coffee oils on. The shower screen will come up like new. Just mix some up in warm water and soak any bits that look like your shower screen.
    To clean the showerscreen, portafilter and baskets soak them in Napisan or similar, same active ingredient as backflush powder (Sodium Percarbonate) I can verify it does an excellent job, much cheaper than backflush powder, simply rinse everything in hot water after the clean.
    HorseFD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    To clean the showerscreen, portafilter and baskets soak them in Napisan or similar, same active ingredient as backflush powder (Sodium Percarbonate) I can verify it does an excellent job, much cheaper than backflush powder, simply rinse everything in hot water after the clean.
    Thanks for the tip Yelta. To date I have used a product from Puly which seems to work well - did not know that you could use Napisan.

Snig as your a handyman and the machine has no known background ... based on the looks of the showerscreen.
    Look up how to service the E61 Grouphead and Brew Path / Valves.
    Suggest replacement of seals and Lubricate all moving parts (E61 activation Cams)
    Use a food grade silicon lube.
    All are available from Antony at Casa Espresso ( who was good enough to offer help earlier) or other sponsors here.
    Yes I realise your somewhere in Europe (. maybe Switzerland) - but the parts I refer to are light, freight may be minimal AND your most likely to get the right Parts First time.

The service / clean up / repair work you do know will pay back in spades once your pulling Consistent shots again and again.
    Good Luck
    EA

Thanks for advice

Quote Originally Posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    Snig as your a handyman and the machine has no known background ... based on the looks of the showerscreen.
    Look up how to service the E61 Grouphead and Brew Path / Valves.
    Suggest replacement of seals and Lubricate all moving parts (E61 activation Cams)
    Use a food grade silicon lube.
    All are available from Antony at Casa Espresso ( who was good enough to offer help earlier) or other sponsors here.
    Yes I realise your somewhere in Europe (. maybe Switzerland) - but the parts I refer to are light, freight may be minimal AND your most likely to get the right Parts First time.

The service / clean up / repair work you do know will pay back in spades once your pulling Consistent shots again and again.
    Good Luck
    EA
    Thanks EA - agree totally with your service suggestions and do not intend using the machine until I have completed a service of the E61 grouphead. Thanks also for your suggestions re Casa Expresso as a possible parts source. A back flush has removed quite a bit of stuff and the E61 mushroom did have a bit of scale which I have removed.

Finding a replacement water reservoir was a bit of an initial challenge. The original T41 reservoir is no longer available, and those from later model Vivis will not fit apparently. It then occurred to me that the reservoir from my Rancilio Silvia might physically fit the space - which it does. These are readily available, and with the addition of another slit cut down the side (to align with the existing hole in the case for the pump lines) it should do the trick.

tank.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Snig View Post
    A back flush has removed quite a bit of stuff and the E61 mushroom did have a bit of scale which I have removed.tank.jpg
    That suggests you should look into Water Filtration / Water Softening Cartridge.....if you are in the same area as previous owner.

Just for the record and for the benefit of others reading ...Filtration not only helps protect the machines internals but adds remarkably to the quality and mouthfeel of the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    That suggests you should look into Water Filtration / Water Softening Cartridge.....if you are in the same area as previous owner.

Just for the record and for the benefit of others reading ...Filtration not only helps protect the machines internals but adds remarkably to the quality and mouthfeel of the shot.
    Agreed...I usually use filtered water.

Exploded parts diagram for Izzo Vivi

For those interested...I have just uploaded a copy of the exploded parts diagram for my Izzo Vivi to the documentation section of this forum at:

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/documenta...s-diagram.html

This was kindly provided by https://www.vanpommeren.nl/ (thanks Robbert!).