Bezzera BZ10 - give me some reasons why this isn't the right machine for me!
Hey guys, I posted a thread about 6 months asking for some recommendations on machines. I got a few good points and ideas from that and started doing some research. Now I definitely have a better idea of what I am after. I finally found time to visit two coffee machine sellers here in QLD this week and I think I've decided on the BZ-10...
To recap - my budget is around $2000 for the machine only. I already have a good grinder. I do mostly milk based drinks and often do several at a time as we often have visitors so a HX machine makes sense to me. I was a barista in another life and feel very at home behind a big commercial machine. Currently running a Gaggia Classic which is about 8 years old and while it makes 2 coffees for hubby and I easily it falls down big time once I have visitors.
I like the BZ10 because:
- short warm up time
- doesn't take up too much more bench space than the Gaggia I've been running for the last 8 years.
- easy to service and there is a seller here in Brisbane that does the servicing too
- good reputation and seems to be a lot of love for it in the many reviews I've read.
I'm hesitant to purchase because:
- not E61 group head so from what I've read the group can maybe be a bit finicky (??). My hubby is not a barista (I used to run Cafe's so am pretty comfortable with most machines) so ideally I'd like a machine that isn't too precious
- hot external parts (I have young kids and I'm a complete and utter clutz) but I think most of the machines in this range are going to have similar probs yeah?
- I read a few forums on here where there was talk about the pressure being too high on this machine - is this easy to adjust on my own?
- We are planning a full kitchen reno in the next 2-3 years (not immediately) and we would probably be keen on plumbing a machine in at that point. I guess I could always upgrade at that point?
- which leads me to my next point, how quickly am I going to outgrow this machine and want to upgrade? 2K is a big investment and ideally I want to be keeping this next machine for 5+ years but if I do get hit with the upgrade bug will the BZ10 give me an ok resale price?
I can't afford to go above 2K at the moment but I am happy to continue saving for a few months and then purchase a machine around the 2.5K mark if that's a better fit for me? The Gaggia works and I can make damn good coffee with it despite it's limitations. I don't have a problem being patient.
Would love some feedback - even if it's just to tell me that I'm overthinking this and I should just call the store now and order the BZ10! Thanks!! :-)