Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mb21
  • 1 Post By Dundas

Thread: Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2 Upgrade to what

Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2 Upgrade to what

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone

feel free to move is not in the right section. Hoping to gets your thoughts / knowledge / feedback. I currently own a Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2 (installed OPV, set at 9 bar) and wondering to what machine level / price Iíll need to upgrade to to get a Ďdecentí increase in quality of espresso?

Enjoy the coffee currently but Iím wondering what else? Does spending say $3k (ECM, Bezzera, Rocket) get me a shiny box with little increase of espresso quality or is this good step up? Will I have to save up to go to a LM LM, GS3, Synesso MVP to get an decent upgrade ?

Adjustability isnít really critical, more wanting a rock solid quality result with great steam (mostly drink milk based drinks piccolo, latte, macchiato) and is a bonus if steam wand is on the right side of machine. Small foot print is nice and has to be tank (canít plumb in currently)

Grinder is on the agenda (eureka Mignon, Lido E and Niche grinder coming) if needed but the shiny box is first. If the quality produced by my NS Oscar 2 is good and itís really my grinder letting me down let me know.

Thanks

Martin
    Dundas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    Hi everyone

feel free to move is not in the right section. Hoping to gets your thoughts / knowledge / feedback. I currently own a Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2 (installed OPV, set at 9 bar) and wondering to what machine level / price Iíll need to upgrade to to get a Ďdecentí increase in quality of espresso?

Enjoy the coffee currently but Iím wondering what else? Does spending say $3k (ECM, Bezzera, Rocket) get me a shiny box with little increase of espresso quality or is this good step up? Will I have to save up to go to a LM LM, GS3, Synesso MVP to get an decent upgrade ?

Adjustability isnít really critical, more wanting a rock solid quality result with great steam (mostly drink milk based drinks piccolo, latte, macchiato) and is a bonus if steam wand is on the right side of machine. Small foot print is nice and has to be tank (canít plumb in currently)

Grinder is on the agenda (eureka Mignon, Lido E and Niche grinder coming) if needed but the shiny box is first. If the quality produced by my NS Oscar 2 is good and itís really my grinder letting me down let me know.

Thanks

Martin
    I was actually looking at this machine,
    What has made you want an upgrade??
    What made you get this in the first place??

Cheers
    Dundas
    lestone likes this.

The Oscar II that is

Hi Dundas feel free to send me a PM if want more info but the Oscar II has been great. I added an OPV kit which isn't essential (was getting good shots from machine before) and found it more forgiving but it may be also my skills improved too. Steam is great and powerful, the four hole tip makes it super quick.
    The style of the Oscar II has grown on me and the machine has been solid for past 12 months. It could be quieter when filling the boiler but sounds like the only quite machine with a vib pump is a Profitec 500. Would be nice to have a Boiler and group gauge but that's me being anal and makes me not judge the shot and just taste it to decide it good or not.
    Upgrade is really a case of 'am i missing something' before i got the Oscar II I got to play with a NS Aurelia II and Robur E so was a bit lucky but also make we wonder if I could upgrade the Oscar II would i see much improvement. Yes a nice shiny stainless steel Rocket or ECM would look nice but would it deliver X% better coffee is the thought.....
    I have a Niche grinder hopefully coming in a few months so be interested to see if much better them my Eureka Mignon and Lido E.

Am i happy with the Oscar II, yes very and would recommend to other if the budget is short but i only have this or on old Sunbeam 6910 to compare to and that's not a fair comparison has used different grinders when had than.
    Hope that helps.

I'm no expert and struggle to appreciate the fine details with coffee, particularly as my machine only gets weekend use.

My coffee journey goes moccona instant, Breville 800, NS Oscar, Rocket Giotto PP.

In terms of coffee quality, massive jump from moccona to Breville 800.
    Big jump from Breville 800 to NS Oscar.
    Small jump from Oscar to Rocket Giotto.

The Oscar really does punch above its weight I reckon. The thing worked fine, although the warming up with steam valve open was a pain.
    Great heat exchanger machine at a budget price, awesome steam. Case is plastic which is the biggest turnoff I think. But it would cost a lot more with a stainless case.

The Rocket satisfies my lust for shiny things. Its a solid machine to play with, and the finish/build quality is great. It just feels nicer to use with its smooth knobs and levers.

I'm happy with my Rocket Giotto. It wasn't the quantum leap in coffee quality I expected, but that could be my technique.

And beans, my mate across the road roasts his own and I am a big fan. So fresh and tasty.

Good sippin,
    Aza

Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    Hi Dundas feel free to send me a PM if want more info but the Oscar II has been great. I added an OPV kit which isn't essential (was getting good shots from machine before) and found it more forgiving but it may be also my skills improved too. Steam is great and powerful, the four hole tip makes it super quick.
    The style of the Oscar II has grown on me and the machine has been solid for past 12 months. It could be quieter when filling the boiler but sounds like the only quite machine with a vib pump is a Profitec 500. Would be nice to have a Boiler and group gauge but that's me being anal and makes me not judge the shot and just taste it to decide it good or not.
    Upgrade is really a case of 'am i missing something' before i got the Oscar II I got to play with a NS Aurelia II and Robur E so was a bit lucky but also make we wonder if I could upgrade the Oscar II would i see much improvement. Yes a nice shiny stainless steel Rocket or ECM would look nice but would it deliver X% better coffee is the thought.....
    I have a Niche grinder hopefully coming in a few months so be interested to see if much better them my Eureka Mignon and Lido E.

Am i happy with the Oscar II, yes very and would recommend to other if the budget is short but i only have this or on old Sunbeam 6910 to compare to and that's not a fair comparison has used different grinders when had than.
    Hope that helps.
    Wow. Thatís great information there. Thanks for that!
    Yeah I just started thinking of what would keep the value more, the oscar II or something such as a EBM Donovan jr or similar.
    I think the hardest bit is deciding what to go for.