Thread: Minore II Bargain at $1800?

Minore II Bargain at $1800?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

Hi,
    I can get a Minore 2 for $1800...is this a bargain? I wondering if the sales person made a mistake. Ive seen them around $2200. Wondering if i should snap it up...

Re: Minore II Bargain at $1800?

Um, that sounds a pretty good price to me!

what are you waiting for??? go, go, go!!!

PhatBoy.....

Whilst the price does sound good....

What do they know about these machines?..... what will their support and service be like? :-/

Just be careful that the unit might be discounted because it isnt really supported..... support cost $$$$$

But if you arent worried about support when things go pear shaped (and they do in the best of families).... then its probably a good deal.

hmm...interesting.
    Its new though...shouldnt support and warranty all be from Expobar?

Quote Originally Posted by PhatBoy link=1185759534/0#4 date=1185760579
    hmm...interesting.
    Its new though...shouldnt support and warranty all be from Expobar?
    Well, yes but generally via an agent.....

And the site sponsors here regularly tweak the machines to improve performance compared to the factory settings..... and quite a few machines dont leave the factory even set correctly for normal settings....

So putting the machine on the bench, checking it is performing correctly (even at factory settings) and possibly adjusting so you will get even better espresso all takes time.... which costs the seller and hence he/she passes it on.....

The discount sellers sell you a box.... which is supposed to have a fully operational machine therein..... (never been opened or checked - and they probably wouldnt know how to in any case) and you take the box home and if you are lucky you have won..... but if there is a warranty issue- it could be a little tricky.

Phatboy, let me quantify my encouragement...

i assumed you would purchase from a store-front stockist, since you spoke of the "sales person".

i agree with JB that the ability to access warranty support & service is important... the tweaking of the machine could be too, athough you may find knowledgeable CS in your area to help you with that.

check the Minore II threads here on CS to see how many Css have had problems with their Minore II and you may get an idea of the performance and tweak-need of the machine.

have fun!
    L

You need to weigh up the potential savings versus the potential costs.

The Expobar factory is in Melbourne outer East suburbs.
    If you have an issue that requires it to go back to base, how would you go about it? Will it have to be boxed up and freighted at your cost, or is it covered?

Through a registered agent or reseller, if the unit needs to go back for repairs, you might even get an offer like "Heres a loner machine for a week".

My Minore II had to go back for a 30 minute fix. As I live in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne, it was not too big a deal, but had I lived in another state, it would have most likely meant a week without the primary machine.

I think its a great unit, and the price is very tempting, you just need to know exactly what the conditions of the sale and warranty are.

Brett.

Another issue is will my EM480 be worthy of the minore?

Quote Originally Posted by PhatBoy link=1185759534/0#8 date=1185763134
    Another issue is will my EM480 be worthy of the minore?

It could be used..... but I personally would go for a better grinder....

A great machine needs a great grinder..... IMHO Id be looking at a Mazzer, Compak or Macap....

I think you will find the EM480 will hold back the potential of the machine.

If someone offered me this at this price, chances are I would buy just out of impulse (after having a bit of a play around on it of course to make sure I actually did like it...)

But that is just me in my situation. (Currently looking for a new machine, no hurry, all doors open etc..).

However, like what others are saying, I would only do this as I am happy in doing small modifications and repairs etc... myself. (OPV, pressurstat, wiring, replacing washers etc...) I also live in SE Melbourne which is not too far from the mentioned service center.

As for the EM0480, Its a really good grinder for the price you pay.
    I noticed a HUGE improvement on my EM6910 when I upgraded to the M5, so I can only imagine the results would be the same if not better with a better machine :)

With the 0480, one setting worked for espresso, and I would adjust my dose and tamp if the pour was too fast etc... If I went down a setting on the grinder, chances are it was too low and would choke the machine, one setting higher and it would most likely gush. I now blame this on the consistency of the particle size, as the grind from the Macap looks a bit courser than the sunbeam for the same pour time.
    With the same dose and tamp, I have 2 or 3 settings on the grinder than produce good espresso. I can grind a click courser and updose a tiny bit, etc... there is just so much more playing around you can do with a good grinder and still get good results.

Im not saying you will not get good results on the 0480, it will just be harder to keep it consistent especially when using fresh beans that are prone to changing their mood over time.

-John.