Thread: ECM Giotto - No Steam Pressure (low boiler temp?)

ECM Giotto - No Steam Pressure (low boiler temp?)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So, with much sadness, my ECM Giotto has developed a fault, hoping I can fix it myself if anybody has advice or troubleshooting tips.

Turned it on and found there's no steam pressure. That is, neither steam or hot water come out when their respective taps are opened.
    The boiler has water in it, boiler filling pump works fine (cleaned the sensor just in case), and the brew pump works fine to pull water through the group head.

The machine gets hot, but just not hot enough to create the required pressure.
    Discovered the boiler only heats to ~78deg C. I tested this by opening the machine up when left on for an hour, and probing into the boiler via removing the vent in the top.
    Also the group head is not as hot as usual.

Thinking it may be a partially faulty heating element, as when I turn the machine on it's much quieter heating the water than normal (practically silent, vs more of a kettle heating sound as it used to). Or perhaps a bad relay not functioning properly when warm?

Any ideas on how to resolve, or troubleshoot? Aside from taking it to a technician (the last resort)?
    Last edited by hallph; 1st June 2018 at 01:09 PM.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Try opening the steam valve and switching off. Allow machine to cool, and switch back on with the steam valve open. It is possible (though far from certain) that it is a false pressure issue.

With a bit of luck, it could be a dodgy pressure stat which will cost ~$50 for a new one. Otherwise it might be a faulty control board and it may cost you another couple of hundred as these are usually replaced rather than repaired. Unless you know your way around electrics, I would bite the bullet and take it to a qualified espresso tech.

Thanks - yeah suspect it's out of my league to fix - will likely end up booking it in to the wizards