Thread: Bezzera Magica Water Level Issues

Bezzera Magica Water Level Issues

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Magica water light keeps going out, and I don't know why!

First thought was that I made up my water recipe wrong (using basic 70/30 water recipe from 5 Senses website). Made up an entire new batch of everything, drained and replaced the water.

At first, this seemed to help. But the water light still often goes out when I turn the pump on. Could just be me, but seems to be more frequent when the machine has been on for longer. Sometimes turning the machine on and off seems to help, sometimes the light goes out again.

Usually when it goes out, it comes on again after a few seconds (although not always), only to go out again at the most inconvenient of times.

I've checked the two metal plates on the sides of the water tank, they're in contact with the water tank without issues, so it's not that.

I don't live in Australia, so I can't bring it in for someone to have a look.
    What should I try next?

The first thing I would try is replacing the (Special water) with regular tap water, unless there is a major problem with the local water supply.

Mine did the same, the fix? The two contacts on the inside at each end of the plastic reservoir have a bit of algae/gunk on them (they trigger the water level). Empty it out and give them a rub. (you will find they feel a bit slimy). After that it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
    Mine did the same, the fix? The two contacts on the inside at each end of the plastic reservoir have a bit of algae/gunk on them (they trigger the water level). Empty it out and give them a rub. (you will find they feel a bit slimy). After that it should be fine.
    Could well be, however if this is the case I would be wondering where the moisture/gunk/algae/slime is coming from, over filling tank, leaking hose or fitting, there must be a reason.

I've had a Galatea for many years and have never experienced this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Could well be, however if this is the case I would be wondering where the moisture/gunk/algae/slime is coming from, over filling tank, leaking hose or fitting, there must be a reason.

They can get into the tank via many means: airborne spores, your hands, etc. A warm tank of water such as found in our coffee machines is a great environment for microorganisms to develop in.

Tap water with chlorine in it will prevent this to some extent. Washing the water tank regularly also helps.

OP have you tried denting in the two metal side plates? See "my machine can't detect water" in http://www.finecoffeecompany.com/troubleshooting/ (photo below is from there).

What water do you use? Is it possible it is too soft to be detected? (unlikely if it happens sporadically)

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post

i use rain water, from a poly tank which I run through a Brita jug filter, so it could be there.