Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By coolie21
  • 2 Post By EspressoAdventurer
  • 1 Post By skeevs

Thread: considering Expobar Office Control as first machine, other options ?

considering Expobar Office Control as first machine, other options ?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I'm considering an Expobar Office Control as my first "real" machine.
    My partner and I only drink lattes, but looking for an upgrade on the fully automatic machine we have.

The one condition seems to be that it needs to have presets, which the control does. Besides that it seems to be a well regarded machine also. If not quite perfect looking.

So at this point, is there any other HX or DB machine around the price with this feature that I should consider ? I quite like the Lelit models, however again no preset dose.
    If it was just me it would be easier, however thems the rules for now.

Thank you.

The Nuova Simonelli Oscar II is probably the best value machine in this price range so it’s well worth a look. It has preset shot buttons that actually run off a timer (like a Sunbeam) rather than volumetrics. If you’re happy with the Expobar it is a very good workhorse machine. Not as fancy as some other European models but a good performer nonetheless.
    wilsonj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    The Nuova Simonelli Oscar II is probably the best value machine in this price range so it’s well worth a look. It has preset shot buttons that actually run off a timer (like a Sunbeam) rather than volumetrics. If you’re happy with the Expobar it is a very good workhorse machine. Not as fancy as some other European models but a good performer nonetheless.
    Yes, I should have mentioned the Oscar II. However I didn't really like the build. Fair amount of plastic and the whole machine is larger. I was impressed with the steam though.

Any other options ?

Another option is the yet to be released Lelit Elizabeth. But that is a fair bit more, however it looks nicer than the Expobar Office Control. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Just picked up a second hand Expobar Office Control and I love it. Its built like a tank and took minutes to program one of the buttons. It also is a timer rather than volumetric, ie get your grind and tamp right to produce the volume you want in the time you want (eg 20-25s), put a measuring glass under the portafilter, press the button to start, press again when you reach 30mls or 60mls or whatever you are trying to program and you are programmed. Next time the operator just has to press that button once and they are done.

Also it looks way better in real life than in pics. It makes the Lelit models appear shiny/flimsy by comparison. IMHO.

You may have made your decision already by now, let us know!
    Dimal likes this.

I have the Office Control and love it - it's a great machine. The presets is perfect when dealing with other people who don't know how to make coffee very well - it keeps it really simple.

Same here got a new Expobar Office Control recently. The volumetric doser could be better but otherwise machine is a solid performer.
    Last edited by skeevs; 29th November 2018 at 09:21 AM.

Just adding on, I think any HX machine will have quite a steep learning curve initially. Depending on steam wand tip you'll be getting with your HX, you might want to change that to slow things down. My Expobar came with a 3-hole tip. It was way too fast so I changed to a 1-hole tip and still had to learn a different technique to get good, consistent textured milk. On the Expobar office control volumetric dosing, it seems to be easily affected by factors like tamp pressure and dose. The outcome of that is say you've set your volume extraction to 30g today, slight variations in prepping your shot might make it 5-8~ grams more or less the next time. I read somewhere the placement and type of the component (low pressure) could be the cause of that. I only say this because I had a Breville Infuser previously and volumetric dosing on that is pretty consistent, assuming it's same grind settings all the time. I'd say the Expobar is less forgiving on inconsistency hence steeper learning curve

Anyhow, loving just how it looks in my kitchen : https://imgur.com/a/WxBITKL

Quote Originally Posted by coolie21 View Post
    It also is a timer rather than volumetric, ie get your grind and tamp right
    to produce the volume you want in the time you want (eg 20-25s),
    Skeevs ...Coolie is reporting the expobar is a timer based shot controller.

So, I've not been in front of this machine, however if it is then Get your Dose Grind Tamp consistent and you'll likely get a very consistent shot each time, as the brew button is as said time controlled only.

Quote Originally Posted by skeevs View Post
    Just adding on, I think any HX machine will have quite a steep learning curve initially.
    On the Expobar office control volumetric dosing, it seems to be easily affected by factors like tamp pressure and dose.

The outcome of that is say you've set your volume extraction to 30g today, slight variations in prepping your shot might make it 5-8~ grams more or less the next time.

I read somewhere the placement and type of the component (low pressure) could be the cause of that.

I only say this because I had a Breville Infuser previously and volumetric dosing on that is pretty consistent, assuming it's same grind settings all the time. I'd say the Expobar is less forgiving on inconsistency hence steeper learning curve

Responses to last post -
    Timer controlled only

Greater consistency in = more consistent shots out.Then you can hone in on the flavoursome shot from there ...if not already getting it!

Don't always believe the ex..zperts on the net

I would suggest the expobar is giving you greater performance and therefore input variances are much more noticeable

FUrther my suggestion's would be -
    1/ Well roasted beans / blend used fresh and kept free of oxygen light and moisture.
    2/ Know what weight of dose is the maximum that suits this machine / basket. ie once only 5cent test, then weigh that out. Then stick with it tillafter you've nailed the shot time and time again. Then your free to down dose / finer grind etc.
    3/ Hone in on the grind setting.Be consistent with the tamp.
    4/ Chase flavour ....by trialing then varying the yield / time component of the shot.
    5/ Consistency in = the likelyhood of the best possible shot out.

Pls report back how you go.
    GL
    Dimal and coolie21 like this.

considering Expobar Office Control as first machine, other options ?

Quote Originally Posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    Skeevs ...Coolie is reporting the expobar is a timer based shot controller.

So, I've not been in front of this machine, however if it is then Get your Dose Grind Tamp consistent and you'll likely get a very consistent shot each time, as the brew button is as said time controlled only.

Responses to last post -
    Timer controlled only

Greater consistency in = more consistent shots out.Then you can hone in on the flavoursome shot from there ...if not already getting it!

Don't always believe the ex..zperts on the net

I would suggest the expobar is giving you greater performance and therefore input variances are much more noticeable

FUrther my suggestion's would be -
    1/ Well roasted beans / blend used fresh and kept free of oxygen light and moisture.
    2/ Know what weight of dose is the maximum that suits this machine / basket. ie once only 5cent test, then weigh that out. Then stick with it tillafter you've nailed the shot time and time again. Then your free to down dose / finer grind etc.
    3/ Hone in on the grind setting.Be consistent with the tamp.
    4/ Chase flavour ....by trialing then varying the yield / time component of the shot.
    5/ Consistency in = the likelyhood of the best possible shot out.

Pls report back how you go.
    GL
    Hey GL,

"Timer controlled only"

That is fresh info to me much so I got on the phone to ask my seller and he just confirmed it now. Just wished he'd explained the mechanics behind the buttons the past few times we were on the phone with me asking about the occasional inconsistencies. Also interesting that I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere at all, machine profile on stores, etc. So is timer control one of the common “classification” of volumetric functions on HX machines ?

Things are starting to click in my head now. It dawned on me now over the past few days I've noticed one of the buttons always cuts off at 28s on the timer.

I've got all the suggestions down, doses are weighed each shot and grind is consistent. The biggest variability should be in my tamp consistency then which explains the variability in the results. I'd agree that input variances are more noticeable on a machine like this.

Cheers!
    Last edited by skeevs; 29th November 2018 at 05:26 PM.
    Dimal likes this.