Like Tree16Likes
  • 6 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By herzog
  • 5 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Erimus
  • 2 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By herzog

Thread: Bezzera Domus Galatea bites the dust.

Bezzera Domus Galatea bites the dust.

But not down and out.

Looking forward to my morning brew, about 10 days ago turned the machine on, dead, nuthin, zilch, all systems were not go.

After a little thought realised this particular problem was beyond my capability, my wife (Heather) was headed for Adelaide a couple of days later, so had her drop it of at Complete Cafe Services, two days later received a call from Domenic,from CCS, control box stuffed, bugger, he gave me an idea of the repair cost, I told him to go ahead.

Three or four days later received an SMS advising me the machine was ready to collect, Heather was in Adelaide again yesterday, picked the machine up and arrived home with it yesterday around 6PM, needless to say, after setting up on the bench it was immediately pressed into service, everything in the garden seems rosy, great celebration, the machine seems to be functioning as it should and the coffee is just as good as ever.

So! what was done, apart from replacing the control box/board $295 it was given a general service, i.e. group head seals, pressure, temp, pump etc checked, all OK.

Total cost $476 not insignificant, however a whole lot better than the cost of a new machine.

In 9.5 years of use this has been the first major repair, so, cant complain.

Domenic at CCS did a good job, from drop off to ready to be collected about 4 days, that's pretty darned good.

Serviceability is of the things many people donít appreciate in relation to quality coffee machines when compared with the Harvey Norman type machines.

A good semi commercial machine like an E61 is fully serviceable and can be used for many many years, particularly if you use treated water and have a preventive maintenance done every couple of years.
    Yelta likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    Serviceability is of the things many people don’t appreciate in relation to quality coffee machines when compared with the Harvey Norman type machines. .
    And in my view that is what makes extended warranty essential when buying an appliance machine, the longer the better.

Title is a little misleading. I thought it was gone beyond repair (which seemed strange). Should change the thread title to "Death and Resurrection of the Domus".

Exactly. This grade of machines rarely ďbite the dustĒ. It would be more accurate to say it needs servicing.

"bite the dust" to fall so that your body hits the ground heavily:

I'm not going to try to justify or even attempt to explain the title, on reading the original post what happened is pretty bloody obvious.

I knew the thread was headed for the scrub the minute it went into extended warranties for appliances.

Another positive post that has immediately turned negative, I sometimes wonder why I even bother.

Antony from Casa Espresso obviously got the message.

Yes, the control board on my Giotto <insert preferred term here> a couple of years ago. similar story, a replacement and service by Jetblack got me back on the path to espresso nirvana again but had to dust off the old Sorrentina Atomic to perform duties in the meantime. So what did you use in the four days you were Bezzera-less Yelta?

I'd wonder why you would bother as well.

Your expensive machine broke down after many years of use, you had it serviced by a service centre who turned it around in an acceptable period of time for a reasonable cost and you are back to using the machine.
    Standard fare for hundreds of people every day in Australia.

Nobody was trying to derail the thread in a negative way, rather try to find some meaning to why this thread even exists I would say by commenting on how appliance machines aren't a durable or as serviceable as, say, for example a Bezzera Domus Galatea.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    Yes, the control board on my Giotto <insert preferred term here> a couple of years ago. similar story, a replacement and service by Jetblack got me back on the path to espresso nirvana again but had to dust off the old Sorrentina Atomic to perform duties in the meantime. So what did you use in the four days you were Bezzera-less Yelta?
    Dollars to donuts Yelta was French Pressing
    Yelta likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    So what did you use in the four days you were Bezzera-less Yelta?
    As Erimus guessed, French press was the go until my supply of fresh beans ran out, saw no point in roasting again at this stage so for the last few days switched to, wait for it, Hibiscus tea have to say, by the time the machine arrived home I was tonguing for a decent brew.
    flynnaus and Lyrebird like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Another positive post that has immediately turned negative, I sometimes wonder why I even bother.
    Wow, Yelta I think youíve really misunderstood where this went.

I was making the positive point that your experience shows that good quality (ie: non appliance brand) machines like Bezzera are eminently serviceable and can be kept running indefinitely with the occasional service.

Contrast this with the appliance brands that usually end up as landfill after 3-5 years.

Sometimes itís hard to assess the tone from words on the screen, but let me clear that up now: I was praising the serviceability and longevity of your machine.
    Yelta likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    Wow, Yelta I think youíve really misunderstood where this went.

I was making the positive point that your experience shows that good quality (ie: non appliance brand) machines like Bezzera are eminently serviceable and can be kept running indefinitely with the occasional service.

Contrast this with the appliance brands that usually end up as landfill after 3-5 years.

Sometimes itís hard to assess the tone from words on the screen, but let me clear that up now: I was praising the serviceability and longevity of your machine.
    Thanks for the response Herzog, I obviously misunderstood your message.

Ah sorry to hear bout the machine having a snooze Yelta, but AWESOME it's back up and running, yay! A cracker of a machine huh!