Thread: Water leaking: ECM Giotto Premuim - Help?...

Unhappy Water leaking: ECM Giotto Premuim - Help?...

(Mods please move this if it belongs elsewhere).

Hi everyone. I recently bought a second hand ECM Giotto premium and it's been doing great coffees.

However, this morning my wife called me inside to tell me the machine was pouring water all over the kitchen. She was right. The pump was running and it had emptied the tank out the bottom onto the floor.

I switched it off and opened the top and removed the (now empty) tank. Water was, as expected, everywhere. The boiler though, based on weight, is still full. So what is leaking? Don't know. I tried putting the tank back in without the top and switching it back on to have a look, but it's just tripping the circuit now. From what I can see, the boiler is pretty dry, but the black thing (sorry I don't know what is what in these machines yet) is wet, up near the top beside the boiler.

Here's a couple of photos I took. Wondering if any of you knowledgeable people can suggest what might be my issue here. I'm not feeling great right now...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Im assuming that black item you mentioned is the pressurestat. From what you described there are two potential issues which could be causing/generating the leak.

First option is that maybe an issue with your water depth probe, which results in the controller not detecting the water level, just continuously running and hence overfilling the boiler. If this happens when the machine is first switch without boiler pressure the water will likely just follow straight out of the anti-vac valve. If it was to occur when the boiler is already pressurised the water will just find the weakest point which if you over pressure value is gummed up could potentially be the over pressurestat.

More likely is that a hose on the boiler side of the pump has sprung a leak and has dumped water all through the machine. If the leak is of sufficent size the boiler wont fill and hence the pump will just keep continuously running.

My advice would be to completely unplug the machine from the mains (240v danger and all of that). Dry everything out and then reconnect it all back up and see if you can see where the leak is actually coming from.

If you are not good at electrics I would suggest getting it serviced by a qualified person. From the photos I saw several wires that could have hot spots (brown staining) or it could be dried coffee. If the wire has a short you will get the brown mark from the heat the wire gets to when a short occurs. I had a similar issue with my old Musica. There were a couple of issues one was the over pressure valve and the other was the water depth probe. It also had a leak which emptied the tank onto the bench. As it appears to be an older machine there could be several issues, a good service will not hurt it.

Thanks for the help. I'll likely give this to someone to look at.

Thanks for the ideas. I've just replaced the gauge which was also not working, since I had it apart.

In doing so I've noticed a loose wire which is at least the reason it's tripping the circuit. See the photo attached. What does the wire I'm holding connect to? Tracing it back, it seems to be an earth connection to a bolt on the base. Any ideas where it's come loose from? Could this be the original issue also? I doubt it, but here's hoping.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Earth Ground slips onto standard spade connector, onto chassis.
    I dont have the ECM Giotto...but likely to be at LH Rear Corner as you are looking at machine from front on.

Also recommend you remove the 'mushroom' - big chrome nut on top of the E61 grouphead. To check what level of scale is present.

Look up extreme machine thread here where you'll find the parts / manual for this model.
    When up and running again, you'll do yourself a big favour by running coffee standard water filtering.
    See the sticky post on this site.
    GL
    EA

Could possibly be the earth connection for a solenoid valve.

solenoid_valve.jpg

that wire should remain disconnected, its basically if you bypass the built in water tank for diagnosis purposes

It looks like it, but that earth to the solenoid is still there and connected. If it's supposed to remain disconnected, that makes sense. Close inspection suggested that it hasn't been connected to anything recently, It's not looking worn clean, and it's a touch rusted even.

This might be a job for a pro. The person I've used in the past is in Sydney, and I now live in the Illawarra. Are there any sponsors/recommended repairers down this way, that anyone can suggest?

i owned one of those machines, and can safely tell you its not connected to anything.

I had that happen to my old giotto once. Went out for a while, got back home and the roller door wouldnt open. Great i thought, another power failure in our area.
    Went in through the front door, got to the kitchen and water everywhere.
    Pump must have ran non stop and must have tripped the circuit which it had.

I pulled out the Boiler level probe and gave it a good clean and after that, it didnt do it again. SO maybe something to check if you havent already checked it.

Did you find the problem and get a solution for your machine?