• 1 Post By CafeLotta
  • 1 Post By CafeLotta
  • 3 Post By 338
  • 1 Post By Lukemc
  • 2 Post By Lukemc

Thread: Lelit Mara second hand value

Lelit Mara second hand value

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Does the Lelit mara's PL62 (not an s or t )hold a good used value, I'm thinking of selling but not sure what they go for (about 18 months old)

Pretty hard to judge market value on a relatively new 2nd hand machine. Lelit is a reputable brand so you could based it on what competitive models sell for.

As buyer I would be looking at something like 20-25% off new price as a minimum. Otherwise I'd just buy a new machine from a dealer under warranty.
    crazyhakins likes this.

I’m with arcachon, if I’m buying a 2nd hand machine, even 12 months old, I’ll want a decent reduction from the new price because, no matter what the seller tells me, I can’t be sure how the machine has been treated.
    matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhakins View Post
    I’m with arcachon, if I’m buying a 2nd hand machine, even 12 months old, I’ll want a decent reduction from the new price because, no matter what the seller tells me, I can’t be sure how the machine has been treated.
    Unfortunately I have to agree. Both of the used machines I bought, (not from CoffeeSnobs Market Square I must stress), had issues. Both were advertised as being in excellent working condition. The first had a dodgy heating element (got partial refund). With the second I assumed there would be issues so allowed a margin in purchase price. As expected there was an issue. It had a leaky braided pump discharge hose which I replaced but the rust this caused internally wasn't covered in the margin I allowed for in price.

Moral of this story is that like me, people have been stung on purchases of used machines and take this into account when looking at the asking price. I expect that here on CoffeeSnobs your chances of a decent buy are higher than Gumtree or Ebay etc. but there is always a chance you take on used items. That's why the asking price needs to reflect this.
    matth3wh likes this.

I've only seen 2 mara's in the archives, one a pl62 for $1500 which was probably too cheap and a pl62s for $1750 with a few extras, both sold but I definetely wouldnt sell mine for $1500. I'll have to have a think to about what I need to get out of it to make it worthwhile selling.

Have to ask the question, why would you considering selling after 18 months of ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by kaboose View Post
    I've only seen 2 mara's in the archives, one a pl62 for $1500 which was probably too cheap and a pl62s for $1750 with a few extras, both sold but I definetely wouldnt sell mine for $1500. I'll have to have a think to about what I need to get out of it to make it worthwhile selling.
    A new PL62S is usually advertised at around $2200 new with warranty. A couple of months back a friend was shopping around and was offered a price of around $2000 without much arm twisting.

A starter kit of accessories is usually offered at a great price with new machine purchases. That's what your up against. You may find someone who doesn't try to bargain with a retailer and compares used price with the advertised new price but realistically saving $200-$300 and not getting a warranty?
    338 likes this.

I'll have to have a think to about what I need to get out of it to make it worthwhile selling.
    It sounds like you are trying to get a decent return on your 18 month old machine. Often the sellers perception of retained value or usefulness is a higher value than the market value.

What I do when faced with this issue, or more usually believing the usefulness is greater than market, is clean the item and prepare it as you would to sell it, then gift it to someone, parent, child, friend,someone less fortunte, etc. Given to the right person they will appreciate the opportunity for the full value, often greater if it is something they could never possibility afford. Of course the only issue is you won't be able to use their joy and happiness as a downpayment at the next retailer, but you have achieved full value of the item.
    gordons, DanC and Lyrebird like this.

Don’t forget the starting price minus GST which the original buyer paid (second buyer doesn’t). Plus depreciation. Probably why they went for closer to $1500 than you’d like
    gordons likes this.

In the end I think I'll hang onto it, it would of only been a short period of time before I got another so sounds like I'd be out of pocket too much when I got another new one.
    Its a great machine but I think I might add some dynamat for some sound proofing to quieten it down a bit as it wakes up my little one when I turn it on first thing in the morning

In the end I think I'll hang onto it, it would of only been a short period of time before I got another so sounds like I'd be out of pocket too much when I got another new one.
    Its a great machine but I think I might add some dynamat for some sound proofing to quieten it down a bit as it wakes up my little one when I turn it on first thing in the morning
    Try drawing some water thru the hot water wand at night, let the boiler refill kick in then turn it off once done. “Should” (in theory) mean it doesn’t auto fill in the morning when it turns on which is usually the noisiest part. Until you fire up your grinder that is!!
    AlexG and kaboose like this.