Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Erimus
  • 1 Post By Erimus
  • 2 Post By Magic_Matt
  • 1 Post By CafeLotta
  • 1 Post By Di_Bartoli

Thread: Choosing a new machine: Profitec Pro 500 vs Bezzera Mitica Top vs Junior Extra PID

Choosing a new machine: Profitec Pro 500 vs Bezzera Mitica Top vs Junior Extra PID

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After being well served by the 6910 for the last 9 years, I found myself over the last 6 months lusting for something better. I had an incredible run with the 6910, but I'd like to move to a better quality machine, with more consistency and better extraction.

So, I returned to these forums and was glad to see they are still thriving. Who says coffee is not addictive?

Currently I make coffee a couple of times a day (morning and evening) during the week, and about 3-4 times during the weekend. Coffees are a combination of espressos and milk coffees (cappucinos or lattes). Of course, when we have people over, I end up making about 12 coffees in one go - fortunately this is only 1-2 times a month.

Going forward:
    - I'd appreciate the option of trying different kind of coffees - I understand a PID may come in handy for setting different temperatures that would make a difference for that.
    - Similarly, while my current setup is not plumbed in, it would be relatively straight forward to access the water plumbing, so I am wondering whether the option of a quieter rotary pump is worth it.
    - Finally, given the mixed espresso / milk coffee use (I drink espressos, my significant other drinks milk coffee), I am wondering whether a dual boiler is better than an HX.

With this in mind, I pored over the forums and came up with this short list based on various recommendations:

Profitec Pro 500 - Pros: good quality, good size copper boiler from the right reseller. Cons: no PID, vibrating pump (louder?), tank water only.
    Berezza Mitica Top - Pros: both tank and plumbed water, rotary pump Cons: no PID?
    BFC Junior Extra PID - Pros: PID, dual boiler, plumbed option available (for extra cost) Cons: ?

They are all in the same price bracket.

Are there any considerations I should keep in mind in picking one over another? What would you choose or what have you chosen in a similar scenario?

Many thanks!

The Profitec Pro 500 is an HX machine and does not need a PID. I wouldn't be looking any further than this baby.
    Brewster and HorseFD like this.

Thanks, but doesn't the new version come with a PID now?

https://www.profitec-espresso.com/en...s/pro-500.html

how about Rocket of similar class, e.g. Giotto/Cellini EVO HX machine with Rotary pump and PID

Quote Originally Posted by ghexy View Post

It's just something else to go wrong on a machine, adds unnecessary cost is and not required.
    Birkin7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    It's just something else to go wrong on a machine, adds unnecessary cost is and not required.
    K, but u rong doe. \_(ツ)_/
    gordons and Hughie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    The Profitec Pro 500 is an HX machine and does not need a PID. I wouldn't be looking any further than this baby.
    Another point of view - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ps4JfqRPuI

And another - https://www.home-barista.com/hx-love.html

I don't think the PID model is available in Australia. Perhaps JetBlack can confirm this and give us his thoughts?

Re the Rocket, I have been looking at the Evo R, but that gets into a different price range.

I've been trying to keep the upgrade under $4k for the machine and the grinder, and I am pretty decided on the Eureka Atom as the grinder of choice, so that leaves me just under $3k for the machine. So, is it worth spending over $3k for the Evo R - a HX machine, when the Junior Elite Double Boiler is available for less than that?

I haven't seen the Pro 500 PID model advertised yet, but it would be useful to get feedback from someone in the know.

I haven't seen the Pro 500 PID model advertised yet, but it would be useful to get feedback from someone in the know.
    Get it from the horses mouth, ring or email Jetblack who are the importer. Their details are at the bottom of every page here

Check them out in person and you will know which one you like the best, performance wise they'll be very similar

Benefits of PID on HX are twofold
    1. Easier to set boiler temperature/pressure from the front panel.
    2. Improved longevity due to no carbon buildup and failure of pressurestat

They are also a little more precise: a 10 kPa (approx 0.1 bar) deadband on a pressurestat is a temperature error band of about 1.3 oC: a PID with a decent spec PT100 sensor can hold 1 oC or better.

As I understand it few pressurestats have a deadband as low as 10 kPa, 20 kPa or more is typical.

Whether this precision makes a discernable difference is debatable.

Profitec Pro 500! Pro 500 should come with PID

It doesn't in Australia due to modifications made on the Au model to make it more temperature stable - or that's what I'm told.

I literally just went form a 10 year old em6910 to a Profitec Pro 500. Could. Not. Be. Happier. I've had nothing but joy from it. I wake every morning excited to make coffee again.

If there was a PID model it would be more expensive.

Site Sponsor
    We will be getting the Pro 500 PID and they will be a little more.

The main benefit over the non PID'd version is the ability to easily modify the steam temperature/pressure and as a result, the brew temperature.

charlie

The 2018 Profitec Pro 500 PID appears to now be available for purchase in Australia.

NEW: In addition, the Pro500 now has a PID control (behind the drip tray) to adjust the steam temperature in the boiler. This allows you to adjust the temperature for milk frothing as desired.

Quote Originally Posted by gcwangliang View Post
    NEW: In addition, the Pro500 now has a PID control (behind the drip tray) to adjust the steam temperature in the boiler. This allows you to adjust the temperature for milk frothing as desired.
    By default this also gives more accurate brew temperature control and better long term reliability than a pressurestat.

In case you missed the link earlier in the thread - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ps4JfqRPuI

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    The 2018 Profitec Pro 500 PID appears to now be available for purchase in Australia.
    Yes this machine is available now https://dibartoli.com.au/profitec-pr...odel-with-pid/

Regards

Renzo
    CafeLotta likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Di_Bartoli View Post
    Yes this machine is available now https://dibartoli.com.au/profitec-pr...odel-with-pid/

Regards

Renzo
    Good news for those who have been waiting for these to land!

Any news on when the new Profitec Pro 600 Dual Boiler is due to hit the shelves?

Are there any Aus spec mods to the Profitec 500 PID like a copper boiler, or is it the same spec as overseas models?

I wonder if the op will come back and let us know his decision? Or is this another dead thread, one of many scattered all over the forum.

Sorry everyone,

A couple of sudden developments at my end mean that unfortunately I have to postpone the purchase for a while. I appreciate the feedback offered here and via PM.

It may turn out for the best, with Pro 500 PID likely to become more available by that time. (You can tell I am looking for the silver lining in all of this).

Thanks again for your input!

FWIW ghexy, I'm in exactly the same situation as you! I.e. want to upgrade from an EM6910 to a better quality machine. I'm going to head to shops as soon as I have some time free - to check out the Profitec Pro 500, Bezzera Mitica Top and ECM Bellezza in person. Noise from the vibe pump vs rotary pumps is going to be interesting. Good luck and thanks for the original post - which has generated a lot of useful information!

Cheers,
    Rob