Thread: ECM Technika Water tank

ECM Technika Water tank

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there,
    I have an ECM technika that is going strong and pumping out some good espresso.

I have been cleaning out the water tank every few weeks. I generally top it up with a brita jug filtered water, but have noticed a dark sludgy type film/coating in the tank itself. Its very minor but still makes me wonder if this is something I need to be concerned with.

Is there anything else I can do to stop this happening? Is it anything more serious that I need to watch?

thanks
    tammma

More than likely cause is that you've removed the chlorine from the water supply so you are getting algae / slime mould growing in the tank.

To get rid of it, clean and bleach the tank then rinse it thoroughly.
    Last edited by Lyrebird; 29th July 2018 at 04:38 PM.

Water source and location?

I abandoned a Brita jug for exactly the reason that its filtering increases risk of bugs without doing anything for scale. If you want to use non-chlorinated water, use boiled and cooled or let some rest for 24 hours, and change your reservoir contents every two or three days if you have not already drunk the contents (i.e. it depends on your filling frequency).

Interesting. I hadn't considered it to be algae but it could well be.

Water is Melbourne Metro....Port Melbourne.

I think I will just make sure I clean out the tank more frequently which should solve the issue. Will this cause the boiler any problems...I presume not since the water gets boiled every morning. We use the hot water a fair bit for tea etc so it gets flushed through very frequently. In fact more water goes through the hot water tap than espresso I gather!

I wasnt aware the brita filter didnt do anything for scale...

thanks for your help.

tammma

If the water filter is functioning correctly it will reduce the scale potential of the water by absorbing* calcium.

That being said the scale potential in Melbourne water is very low anyway: total hardness is generally around 20 mg/l, anything below 60 is considered soft.

*This is a gloss so I don't have to explain how ion exchange resins work.

Banned
    I clean out my tank every few months as well to clean off the slime. Thatís interesting that it could be algae as I always wondered about it. Good info so thanks.
    GR

Refining my earlier comment a little, the calcium absorbing component of a Brita filter lasts about half (or less) as long as the recommended filter life according to various bouts of testing you will find about the place. So you will get results if you change twice as often.

My spouse wanted the Brita principally to reduce chlorine taste. When I pointed out the low or non-cost alternatives mentioned, we abandoned it. Meanwhile, I have never had a significant scale problem, without any filtering at all (various NSW inland and coastal places).

Thanks all.

Very useful indeed. Out of interest, does anyone have any good water filter setups for places with hard water?

What do people in Adelaide or London do?

What sort of advanced filters do people use? A bit of research and other threads seems to point me in the direction of the underbench Brita c150. Well beyond the realms of a Brita jug!

Any ideas how easy these are to rig up? What do people do in rentals where drilling holes in benchtops is probably a no-no?

Thanks tammma