Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mentasm

Thread: Upgrading from Rancilio Silvia

Upgrading from Rancilio Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After 10+ years of faithful service my Rancilio Silvia is on the way out. I'm looking to upgrade and would like to get something that allows me to froth milk and pull a shot at the same time. I had assumed my only option was dual boiler however after reading through many posts here I see that the Heat Exchanger is also a good way to go. I'm after something that's fine for daily use (4 cups a day) and still good when doing coffee's for a group (15+ cups).

I don't mind spending a little bit more to get something that will last but ideally I'd like to spend less than $2000.

What would you recommend?

In my short time on this forum I have noticed that people want for less than $2,000 a machine for which there are so many great options had they but said, less than $3,000.

Lelit Mara? Something second hand?

I can certainly vouch for HX machines doing a great job (albeit in my price range, not yours ) having myself upgraded from a Rancilio Silvia of 12 years vintage, and still going strong. Unless there is something tragically wrong with yours, a service kit should pay off in resale value.

What grinder will you be using?

Lelit Dual Boiler $1699 - https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...0-dual-boiler/

with PID $2049 - https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/shop/p/lelit-PL60T/

Not the most beautiful machine but meets your requirements

Bezzera BZ10 regularly retails for under $2k and well worth a look. Will handle your daily requirements very well. As for the 15+ cup runs. That’s going to be a challenge with any domestic machine. They will do the job but will take a while as the boiler refills.

I've got the Rocky grinder

Quote Originally Posted by beensean View Post
    In my short time on this forum I have noticed that people want for less than $2,000 a machine for which there are so many great options had they but said, less than $3,000.
    Out of interest what did you upgrade to?

Note that I did say 'ideally' less the $2k. In reality I'm happy to pay more to get something that'll be great. What do you guys think of the Expobar Minore IV.

The Expobar Minore IV was on my short list. I decided it was too big. Otherwise I liked it. I bought the ECM Mechanika V Slim. Second on the short list was Diadema Junior Plus. As I have noted elsewhere here, I am confident any of them would have given me satisfying coffee. My choice also took account of size with a dash of aesthetics so naturally I bought the most expensive.

I am not claiming great expertise in coffee.

When I finally upgraded from my PIDed Silvia earlier this year I went second hand and picked up a $1000 HX Isomac Mondiale. Also upgraded from the rocky to a Baratza Sette 270w. After servicing and buying a few accessories (ie pullman baskets and big step tamper) I came in at around $2000 spent. Couldn't be happier.
    zeezaw likes this.

Where is the best place to pickup second hand units.?

Quote Originally Posted by jachin View Post
    https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-hardware-sale/

Yep, subscribe to that forum and watch your emails on a daily basis. Either that or perhaps try the site sponsor quote form at the bottom of the page and ask if anyone has 2nd hand units for sale? I know some of the shops deal in second hand/refurbished units

Quote Originally Posted by arcachon View Post
    Bezzera BZ10 regularly retails for under $2k and well worth a look. Will handle your daily requirements very well. As for the 15+ cup runs. Thatís going to be a challenge with any domestic machine. They will do the job but will take a while as the boiler refills.
    As an owner of a BZ10 I can vouch for this machine too.

Having said that, once you get to around $2k there are many options available to consider.

I haven't used a dual boiler machine myself, but the BZ10 does recover quite quickly. I haven't had to make 15+ coffees in a row, but I do use it for groups often and it manages to keep up just fine.

A big thing that can impact quick workflow is how fast you drain the boiler - with large groups I will use the kettle to make teas and pre-fill cups for a long black, which makes a big difference as a few drinks in a row from the hot water dispenser can quickly drain the boiler and means slightly longer to recover.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jachin View Post
    We regularly update this too so keep an eye on it:

https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...ffee-machines/