Thread: Sunbeam Torino Automatically off

Sunbeam Torino Automatically off

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello everyone, I have bought a Sunbeam Torino espresso machine for my restaurant which is not mainly focuses on coffee. The machine is great, can brew good espresso and can steam silky milk, but the machine will automatically switch off after 30 minutes of idle, it is totally switched off ! Because the coffee orders are not that frequent, every time I need to make a coffee and found that the machine was off, so I need to re-heat it and wait for few minutes. The program cannot set anything about the automatic switch off time, and Sunbeam had just ignored my email. The machine off after 30 minutes of non use, not in power saving mode ! Which was very annoying to use in restaurant. Do u guys have any method to let it enter the power-saving mode after the half-hr idle instead of automatically switched off ?

It's a domestic machine, it's internals won't handle being heated constantly for hours which is why it switches itself off.

Yeah this is a domestic machine and isnít really suitable for even light commercial use. If I were you Iíd cut my losses and sell it then buy something a bit more fit for purpose. Sunbeam wonít want to help you as Iím pretty sure youíll find that the manual and warranty for these machines states that itís for domestic use only.
    If you like the look and size of the Torino then a prosumer e61 machine would work well. You could even get something that can be plumbed in like a Rocket, Fiorenzato, VBM etc.

This is an issue with using a domestic appliance in a semi-commercial setting - the machine is designed to auto-turn off to:
    1. Save power
    2. Protect itself as it's not designed to stay on for hours and hours.

As mentioned above, it's better to look into prosumer grade machines that are built more robust and will go the long haul in a semi-commercial setting and also can provide a better setup in terms of being plumbed in.

Sell it and have a look in the for sale section on this site for a machine that will suit the commercial environment. Machines come up very regularly that would be suitable.

Actually my machine will only idle for few hours a day, the breakfast time. But people usually drink tea, sometimes coffee. I think turning it on for 3 hours only and making less than 10 coffees won’t be a problem. So I am here to seek for the method of don’t let it to shut down automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreylam98 View Post
    Actually my machine will only idle for few hours a day, the breakfast time. But people usually drink tea, sometimes coffee. I think turning it on for 3 hours only and making less than 10 coffees won’t be a problem. So I am here to seek for the method of don’t let it to shut down automatically.
    There are parts of the machine, inside it, that when it is switched on only for 30min don't heat up. But because heat will always travel if the heater keeps heating those parts will get hot after 1-2 hours. Because this machine is a domestic machine and made to a budget those parts are not rated to get very hot. If you keep heating the machine for 3 hours a day those parts will fail much sooner than you would expect (think a few months rather than a few years).

A method to keep it from turning off does not exist, and you will not find one.

Because the manual told me that, after 1 hour of non-use, the machine will switch to power saving mode, all the lights will go dim and will remain 75% of power, after another 4 hour of non use, the machine will beep once then shut off. That means the machine can idle for maximum 5 hours. But I don’t know why my machine skipped the power saving mode and off automatically. The Torino is bought by my partner 4 days ago, so we are not going to sell it right away and it can make good coffee also.

It could be that the drip tray is full, I think it turns itself off when it gets full, and it will fill up without you using it because it runs water through the group head to keep it warm

Make a habbit of flushing the group head every 20 minutes. This should trick the machine into thinking it is being used.
    As for actually using it in a commercial environment, I wholly agree with the comments above. The machine will fail much sooner, and ongoing repair cost will be much more than a prosumer machine.
    If coffees are not a huge part of your business, why not offer an alternate brew method? It would likely provide a superior product and could be a point of difference between you and your competitors.