Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By wilpark
  • 3 Post By Mb21
  • 1 Post By dbun
  • 2 Post By arcachon
  • 1 Post By EspressoAdventurer

Thread: ECM Slim & Eureka Mignon or Domobar Jnr and Mazza Mini?

ECM Slim & Eureka Mignon or Domobar Jnr and Mazza Mini?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I know thereís a million comparison questions on here but this is one Iíve been tossing up between for a few weeks and canít make my mind up. So was hoping someone here might have some hands on experience.

Iím about to purchase a espresso set up and for the same price I can either get the ECM Mechanica V Slim & a Eureka Mignon grinder or a Vibiemme Domobar Junior and Mazza Mini?

2 great setups and Iím sure Iíd be happy with both but there are some very interesting comparisons Iíd be interested in getting peopleís thoughts on.

These are ECM packages then Domobar package:
    2.2 vs 1.4 litre boiler
    SS vs Copper boiler
    Dosserless timed grind vs manual dosser

Plus many more.

Any thoughts?

I bought a Eureka Mignon and promptly returned it. Maybe user error but it kept seizing when trying to dial in even with it running. bought a ceado e5p. 64mm flat burrs and 300 w motor. Much easier. And very happy with it.
    if u are in the US checkout 1st line equipment. they have a ceado e6c vx with a doser for 450.00 on clearance.

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/ceado-e...offee-grinder/

Mazzers are great but grind retention is problematic. So is the ceado. Ceado about 3 grams..
    Zeppelin likes this.

I’ll back the other side. I’ve owned and Mignon and thought it was great, easy to adjust and clean. Never had a issue with clogging or jamming that wasn’t user induced ie i ran it to fine when dialing in when new before got a feel for it.
    ECM Barista, Mech, tech have been in service for a number of year and believe most of the difference is in body panels and the working parts of the mech slim are the same so can’t see why you’d have a reason to question it for reliablity ect.
    honestly both will be good packages so for me I’d say pick the one you like to see every day. If can decide that way pick the cheaper and spend it on barista training, more quality beans or buy a Behmor roaster and start roasting your own beans

Quote Originally Posted by wilpark View Post
    I bought a Eureka Mignon and promptly returned it. Maybe user error but it kept seizing when trying to dial in even with it running. bought a ceado e5p. 64mm flat burrs and 300 w motor. Much easier. And very happy with it.
    if u are in the US checkout 1st line equipment. they have a ceado e6c vx with a doser for 450.00 on clearance.

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/ceado-e...offee-grinder/

Mazzers are great but grind retention is problematic. So is the ceado. Ceado about 3 grams..
    Thanks Wilpark, buying a different grinder from the packages adds a decent amount of cost. The mazzer is $300 cheaper with the package, the Eureka $400, thatís why the packages are of similar cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    I’ll back the other side. I’ve owned and Mignon and thought it was great, easy to adjust and clean. Never had a issue with clogging or jamming that wasn’t user induced ie i ran it to fine when dialing in when new before got a feel for it.
    ECM Barista, Mech, tech have been in service for a number of year and believe most of the difference is in body panels and the working parts of the mech slim are the same so can’t see why you’d have a reason to question it for reliablity ect.
    honestly both will be good packages so for me I’d say pick the one you like to see every day. If can decide that way pick the cheaper and spend it on barista training, more quality beans or buy a Behmor roaster and start roasting your own beans
    Thanks for the advice. They are both great looking machines in different ways. I think I’m leaning towards the Vibiemme Jnr/Mazza Mini package it also includes extras such as tamper, jug etc so will probably come in a couple of hundred cheaper too.

If it were me I would go for the ECM as it has a larger boiler.

I have a Bezzera BZ10 which has a 1.5L boiler, which works fine for the most part; but if I'm doing a lot of back-to-back drinks, especially using the hot water dispenser, then it can run out of 'puff' and you have to wait for it to recover back up to temp.

It recovers fairly quickly, so it's not a huge deal, but sometimes with a large group I'll get the kettle going to cover the tea drinkers and pre-warm cups rather than use the hot water spout. Minor frustration, but something I would consider if buying again. When the time comes that I decide to go for a 'true' E61 machine this will be a factor in the decision.
    Birkin7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dbun View Post
    If it were me I would go for the ECM as it has a larger boiler.

I have a Bezzera BZ10 which has a 1.5L boiler, which works fine for the most part; but if I'm doing a lot of back-to-back drinks, especially using the hot water dispenser, then it can run out of 'puff' and you have to wait for it to recover back up to temp.

It recovers fairly quickly, so it's not a huge deal, but sometimes with a large group I'll get the kettle going to cover the tea drinkers and pre-warm cups rather than use the hot water spout. Minor frustration, but something I would consider if buying again. When the time comes that I decide to go for a 'true' E61 machine this will be a factor in the decision.
    Thanks for your advice. One of my concerns was the size of the boiler, but I haven’t found anyone complaining about it anywhere, so figured it was a bit of a non issue.

Is there a reason you can't get the Domobar and Eureka Mignon? Rather than limit yourself to advertised packages I'd suggest send a quote request out to Coffee Snobs sponsors. Most will do a pretty good deal on machine and grinder bundles. Let them know the offers your currently looking at and see what they come back with.

Quote button is at the top of the page. Fill out the form and it sends to all sponsors simultaneously.
    Dimal and level3ninja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by arcachon View Post
    Is there a reason you can't get the Domobar and Eureka Mignon? Rather than limit yourself to advertised packages I'd suggest send a quote request out to Coffee Snobs sponsors. Most will do a pretty good deal on machine and grinder bundles. Let them know the offers your currently looking at and see what they come back with.

Quote button is at the top of the page. Fill out the form and it sends to all sponsors simultaneously.
    I live in New Zealand and the number of retailers here is pretty limited. I think the company that imports Vibiemme here also imports Mazza so limited to those if you want the discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
    I live in New Zealand and the number of retailers here is pretty limited. I think the company that imports Vibiemme here also imports Mazza so limited to those if you want the discount.
    Where in NZ are you? Are these packages from Espresso.co.nz?

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Where in NZ are you? Are these packages from Espresso.co.nz?
    In Auckland. The ECM kit is from there. https://www.espresso.co.nz/home-coff...grinder-combo/

I’ve only found one other place in Hamilton that has the ECM and their combo with an ECM grinder is a lot more expensive. I can get the Vibiemme Jnr and Mazza Mini for $3200 so $85 cheaper than the ECM and they said they would throw in the extras for free with the Vibiemme, espresso tried to sell them to me for $150.

In Auckland. The ECM kit is from there. https://www.espresso.co.nz/home-coff...grinder-combo/

Iíve only found one other place in Hamilton that has the ECM and their combo with an ECM grinder is a lot more expensive. I can get the Vibiemme Jnr and Mazza Mini for $3200 so $85 cheaper than the ECM and they said they would throw in the extras for free with the Vibiemme, espresso tried to sell them to me for $150.
    Ok, gotcha. Iím guessing the other ECM is from Espresso Road? Iíve bought a few parts and accessories off both Espresso.co.nz and Espresso Road. Neither of them are fantastic with customer service, but Espresso Road are definitely the better of the two so Iíd lean towards buying from them and try to get them to price match if you need to.

As far as the machines go the ECM would be my choice. 10yrs ago VBM were the gold standard of build quality, but theyíve been well and truly left behind. While theyíre still better than lots of cheaper brands they really have a bit of catching up to do to be anywhere near their price competitors again. So Iíd cross the VBM off your list.

At the risk of complicating matters I think you really should have Rocket and Bezzera on your list as well. The ECM Mech Slim, Rocket Appartamento and Bezzera Domus Galatea are all the same price (NZ$2990ish) and all very similar when it comes to build quality. If possible Iíd go and have a look at all three of them in the flesh and then buy the one that has the features and aesthetics you like the best. Espresso.co.nz have their show room open on Saturday mornings I believe and other times by appointment. They may actually have all 3 of these machines in stock for a side by side comparison of sorts. Otherwise thereís plenty of Rocket retailers in Auckland - Rocket in Ponsonby, Atomic in Kingsland, Lafarre in Newmarket for starters. Bezzera NZ are based in Chch, but they have retailers nationwide so Iím sure they can point you towards a stockist.

And as youíve seen itís often best to buy a package from a retailer that includes a grinder and accessories, but donít let this be the deciding factor as some places wonít have as good a range for these items. Lafarre could be a good place to start as I know they sell the Barratza Sette as well as a few other grinders so youíre not tied into a single maker like you would be at the Rocket store in Ponsonby.

Hope this is all somewhat helpful.

Ok, gotcha. Iím guessing the other ECM is from Espresso Road? Iíve bought a few parts and accessories off both Espresso.co.nz and Espresso Road. Neither of them are fantastic with customer service, but Espresso Road are definitely the better of the two so Iíd lean towards buying from them and try to get them to price match if you need to.

As far as the machines go the ECM would be my choice. 10yrs ago VBM were the gold standard of build quality, but theyíve been well and truly left behind. While theyíre still better than lots of cheaper brands they really have a bit of catching up to do to be anywhere near their price competitors again. So Iíd cross the VBM off your list.

At the risk of complicating matters I think you really should have Rocket and Bezzera on your list as well. The ECM Mech Slim, Rocket Appartamento and Bezzera Domus Galatea are all the same price (NZ$2990ish) and all very similar when it comes to build quality. If possible Iíd go and have a look at all three of them in the flesh and then buy the one that has the features and aesthetics you like the best. Espresso.co.nz have their show room open on Saturday mornings I believe and other times by appointment. They may actually have all 3 of these machines in stock for a side by side comparison of sorts. Otherwise thereís plenty of Rocket retailers in Auckland - Rocket in Ponsonby, Atomic in Kingsland, Lafarre in Newmarket for starters. Bezzera NZ are based in Chch, but they have retailers nationwide so Iím sure they can point you towards a stockist.

And as youíve seen itís often best to buy a package from a retailer that includes a grinder and accessories, but donít let this be the deciding factor as some places wonít have as good a range for these items. Lafarre could be a good place to start as I know they sell the Barratza Sette as well as a few other grinders so youíre not tied into a single maker like you would be at the Rocket store in Ponsonby.

Hope this is all somewhat helpful.
    Thanks Leroy,

I have been in to the Espresso showroom, that's how I narrowed down my search. I first looked at the Appartamento at Atomic in Kingsland, I didn't like the plastic rail, the fact that it only has a boiler gauge, and was only shallower, not narrower like the other smaller machines. Otherwise a very nice machine. The bezzera machines weren't to my liking for a similar reason, and the Domus Galatea is unsightly to me. That's where I found the ECM Slim, which ticked all the boxes for me as well.

I've yet to find a bad thing said about either machine apart from your above comments, so the deciding factor at the moment is price and the fact that I've had a similar customer experience with both places you speak of above.

The deciding factor at the moment is price vs quality, and the Vibemme at $2500 or $3200 including a Mazzer mini and accessories is definitely winning on that front. That's why I was considering the ECM Slim and Mignon as I've only read good things about both and it comes in at almost the same price point.

Thanks Leroy,

I have been in to the Espresso showroom, that's how I narrowed down my search. I first looked at the Appartamento at Atomic in Kingsland, I didn't like the plastic rail, the fact that it only has a boiler gauge, and was only shallower, not narrower like the other smaller machines. Otherwise a very nice machine. The bezzera machines weren't to my liking for a similar reason, and the Domus Galatea is unsightly to me. That's where I found the ECM Slim, which ticked all the boxes for me as well.

I've yet to find a bad thing said about either machine apart from your above comments, so the deciding factor at the moment is price and the fact that I've had a similar customer experience with both places you speak of above.

The deciding factor at the moment is price vs quality, and the Vibemme at $2500 or $3200 including a Mazzer mini and accessories is definitely winning on that front. That's why I was considering the ECM Slim and Mignon as I've only read good things about both and it comes in at almost the same price point.
    Cool. Sounds like youíve already done the necessary shopping around. At the end of the day theyíre both very good machines and grinders, but as I said the ECM is just that little bit better in my opinion. Is the Mignon grinder youíve been offered the new model or older one? The new one is called the Mignon Silenzio I think as one of the biggest complaints about the old one was that it was a bit noisy. Having spent time with both doser and doserless grinders over the last couple of years my preference is definitely for a doserless grinder. The Mini Mazzer doser is well built, but a bit on the slow side and theyíre probably quite keen to package it up with a machine as I donít imagine theyíre selling many any more. Also if the Mignon is the older model that might be why theyíve offered you a good deal on that package as itíll be phased out shortly. Just be aware that packages can sometimes be a great deal, but they can sometimes just be an up sell so donít get talked into something you donít want. If I was spending this sort of money Iíd rather spend an extra $100 to get the exact grinder I wanted even if it was from a different retailer.
    Are there no other ECM retailers in NZ? The NZ Coffee Co maybe? The other option would be buying from a discount seller in Australia that ships to NZ (like DiPacci). Youíd save $500-800, but thereís a risk in the shipping and no local warranty of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wilpark View Post
    Respectfully WilPark to add further fact ( not colour) to your comment above, nowadays Mazzer Grinders considered to be in the
    Home (Commercial / Enthusiast) range such as the Mazzer Mini (discussed above) and of the classic Super Jolly, in fact have very minimal
    Grind Chamber retention when compared to their larger fully commercial brothers. Such as the pair of conical burr models, the Kony and the Robur.

The super jolly for instance holds around 3.5g - 4.5g Grind Chamber Retention, and minimal - less than 1g grind in grind out variance.
    wilpark likes this.

Cool. Sounds like youíve already done the necessary shopping around. At the end of the day theyíre both very good machines and grinders, but as I said the ECM is just that little bit better in my opinion. Is the Mignon grinder youíve been offered the new model or older one? The new one is called the Mignon Silenzio I think as one of the biggest complaints about the old one was that it was a bit noisy. Having spent time with both doser and doserless grinders over the last couple of years my preference is definitely for a doserless grinder. The Mini Mazzer doser is well built, but a bit on the slow side and theyíre probably quite keen to package it up with a machine as I donít imagine theyíre selling many any more. Also if the Mignon is the older model that might be why theyíve offered you a good deal on that package as itíll be phased out shortly. Just be aware that packages can sometimes be a great deal, but they can sometimes just be an up sell so donít get talked into something you donít want. If I was spending this sort of money Iíd rather spend an extra $100 to get the exact grinder I wanted even if it was from a different retailer.
    Are there no other ECM retailers in NZ? The NZ Coffee Co maybe? The other option would be buying from a discount seller in Australia that ships to NZ (like DiPacci). Youíd save $500-800, but thereís a risk in the shipping and no local warranty of course.
    Thanks for your help Leroy, went with the ECM.