• 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By 338
  • 1 Post By Jackster

Thread: La Nouva Era Alexa Duplex / parts repair help

La Nouva Era Alexa Duplex / parts repair help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Just picked up an interesting machine to fix/refurbish.

It is a La Nouva Era Alexa Duplex bought in 2011 but a 2009 model. It is the volumetric version with single/double on/off buttons on the bottom left. Pretty sure it is a HX and definately has an E61 grouphead.

According to seller was regularly serviced until last year (I have all the receipts) and all functions working now except no steam coming from the machine. I think this machine is HX but it is so big it could be a dual boiler, if HX hopefully just has a blockage somewhere in the steam lines. Physically condition is very tidy, will take the top and sides off tonight if I get time.

Very scant information online not much around in English.

This is the exact model;
    https://www.getprice.com.au/la-nuova...ffee-maker.htm

Can anyone provide any help on the following;

1. Machine specs
    2. Parts diagrams
    3. Where to source parts e.g. importer/distributor

Cheers,
    Ben
    Last edited by Javaphile; 24th October 2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Removed commercial link

The distributor is listed on LA NUOVA ERA's Aussie website

Mal.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 24th October 2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Removed commercial link

Thanks Mal, I will have a look, there is some handy information there.

Javaphile, are you picking on Mal? Mal posts the distributor website up, which has no prices, for the company Pennidan and you remove it as per the rules. When Ben posts the exact same companies retail website up 'super cheap', which is covered in prices and competitors to sponsors here - you leave it. What gives?
    Caffeinator likes this.

Has there been a change in the Rules?

Mal.
    Caffeinator likes this.

No, I'm not picking on Mal and I'm sure he's aware of that.

Hhhhmmm....I'm not sure how I missed that link in the first post. I've now removed it.

Java "Thanks for pointing it out" phile
    338 likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Has there been a change in the Rules?

Mal.
    Nope!

Java "" phile

Seems to be a bit of inconsistency here though JP...

There's got to be hundreds, if not thousands of links to manufacturers' websites where CSers are directed to for information or downloads of Manuals, Datasheets, etc... Never been a problem before.

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    Hhhhmmm....I'm not sure how I missed that link in the first post. I've now removed it.
    It's still there!?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    It's still there!?
    No, it's not. A 2nd link, that contains no sales link(s) that was there is still present but not the one to the coffee gear company/sales site.

Java "One of two" phile

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Seems to be a bit of inconsistency here though JP...

There's got to be hundreds, if not thousands of links to manufacturers' websites where CSers are directed to for information or downloads of Manuals, Datasheets, etc... Never been a problem before.

Mal.
    And they link to overseas sites or to documents, not sales pages.

Java "Walks a fine line" phile

Sorry Mal I didn't mean to lead you into trouble.

I had a quick read of the rules again (have to say it took me about 15 minutes to find them), my post was linking to a commercial site but only to help identify a machine I am working on, this site has some specs on it. Sorry about that mods.

I have to say that the rules seem a bit inflexible and seem to get in the way of actually helping people. Given how obscure this machine is it is pretty likely that most information will be on commercial websites.

Javaphile, I am sure Mal doesn't think you are singling him out

Ben, I noticed that the importer has never registered for gst - https://abr.business.gov.au/AbnHistory/View/23010589867 - which is mandatory over $75k of turnover. That isn't many coffee machines in a year, you may find your machine is quite a rare item.
    Dimal likes this.

I had a chance to power on the machine and do some basic tests today.

Put in a couple of litres of water, powered on and the boiler auto-filled.

After heating for 15 mins I could feel the group temperature increasing and hear the boiler being heated. I then tested the manual on/off button and single shot, all seem to be working with clean hot water from group. Also the gauge which seems to be boiler pressure was sitting above 1.2 bar and gauge seems to be working ok.

The hot water tap punched out hot clean water but heaps of steam as well.

The steam function is super weak to not working at all. It spits out a bit of water at first then pretty feeble amount of air, no real steam to be seen.

I took the cup tray off then got stuck on the next tray above water tank as there is a stainless hex bolt which seems seized and slightly burred. I have hit it with some WD40 and will try again after a few more applications. Would have taken sides off but the machine was very hot from being on for 1 hour or so.

I also have some service records from 2017 which mention adjusting boiler probe level for drier steam and adjusting pstat to 1.2 bar of pressure. Checking a photo I took tonight the gauge was showing 1.5 bar.

I also have a printed manual so about 99% sure this is a HX machine as specs are 1.8l boiler, 3.5l water tank, 1300 watt heating element. Will confirm when I take a look inside

So few questions

1. Can a too high pstat (or maybe faulty) cause low to nil steam?
    2. If not what are other likely causes of low or no steam?
    Last edited by roosterben; 24th October 2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Here are some pics, it seems bloody huge compared to the Rocket;

Close up;

Attachment 20316

Next to Rocket Giotto for size comparison
    Attachment 20317

Quote Originally Posted by roosterben View Post
    Sorry Mal I didn't mean to lead you into trouble.
    No trouble mate, I hope the link I provided before it was removed helped you out somewhat...

Mal.

It will be a blocked pipe, tip, tap or solenoid.

It's easy enough to provide all the information to steer towards a webpage without providing a link.

Also for those looking for the info in 10yrs time, probably the info has moved to the dark web by then. It's nice if the info is pasted into these pages.
    It only takes a change of ownership or hosting and info is lost
    Javaphile likes this.

Mal: Thanks I will check out some more information.

338: Thanks yeah not a good sign when a distributor is not registered for GST, I might have the only one sold in Australia. You do see a few La Nouvo Cuadra's, but I have never seen this model for sale in 5-10 years of keeping an eye out for used coffee machines on the usual channels.

Jackster: Thanks I will check it out, I have checked the steam pipe and tip, both are clear, probably some scale blocking the copper pipe.

I did pull the sides off last night to have a look inside, definitely a HX machine, so much space inside it is like an aircraft hanger. Look like the anti-vac valve is faulty as it is leaking a bit while heating up, not just venting steam. The pstat has definitely been adjusted wrong or is on the way out, once to temperature the machine is sitting on or above 1.5 bar. There is a seized screw on top which is stop me removing one of the top panels and blocking
    access to pretty much everything. I can see from below the screw is rusted into into a metal bracket.

Pic of top boiler and anti-vac and safety valve I think;
    Alexa_Boiler.jpg

When I tested the safety valve (left in pic) was venting a tiny bit of steam. The anti-vac valve was venting steam and leaked so much there was a bit of water on top of the boiler. I am pretty sure both parts need to be replaced.

I don't think this is related to the steam issue as the machine still gets to pressure and the anti-valc valve is stable (just a bit rough).

My simonelli has a little copper bowl around the anti vac. It collects the drops of water, and they boil off later.
    I'd try removing the leaking parts and descaling them in small container. They might come up ok!
    Jet black has a new anti vac and it has a hose fitting. Wish I had of got one of those instead of the standard one. Could have plumbed it to the tray and never worried about it again.

In be getting access into that boiler. I bet it is full of crud and scale. Ewww.
    Try getting a small amount of water from the hx or the steam tap, and tasting it. Yukky tasting water will not make nice tasting coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    It's easy enough to provide all the information to steer towards a webpage without providing a link.
    Indeed it is, and it seems the least we can do to help provide a return for our Sponsors on their investment in our users.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Also for those looking for the info in 10yrs time, probably the info has moved to the dark web by then. It's nice if the info is pasted into these pages.
    It only takes a change of ownership or hosting and info is lost
    Yes, yes, and yes!

Sites , for whatever reason, changing their layout will break every previous link to them. This happens more frequently than most people realize and it doesn't take 10 years. In more cases than not it seems like external links seem to end up broken in just a few years. It is for this reason that we strongly encourage people to upload the pictures in their posts to here for local hosting. It is also why we created the Documentation sub-forums with-in every forum in the Equipment section and again encourage people to upload any appropriate documents to these areas so that they will be there for all our users for many, many years to come.

Java "Local hosting is best!" phile

Ok I just rebuilt one, I would suggest your boiler is overfilling. Check the level probe is clean and while powered disconnect the plug off the probe and if the boiler fill kicks in the stops when you reconnect the probe then the computer should be ok.

Thanks for all the replies and sorry about being slack replying, crazy work and a deck rebuild at home have limited my coffee time.

I ended up giving up on this machine and selling it on, bit out of my comfort zone and given I already have an E61 machine I didn't want to invest too much time and money. Thanks for all the tips though.

Javaphile: I take the points around uploading the info to the coffee forum and preserving it as alot of these websites come and go. Will keep that in mind next time I post.

Fuelledbycoffee: Funnily enough I sent it to Tassie and I think to the same coffee tech who sold you your La Era Nuova, if true then it is a small world. The coffee tech mentioned some coffee enthusiast hacking/modding a machine and it must be you :-)

He he said he just bought another so yes it’s probably yours, I’ll be there at the end of the week I’ll have a look

Quote Originally Posted by roosterben View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and sorry about being slack replying, crazy work and a deck rebuild at home have limited my coffee time.

I ended up giving up on this machine and selling it on, bit out of my comfort zone and given I already have an E61 machine I didn't want to invest too much time and money. Thanks for all the tips though.

Javaphile: I take the points around uploading the info to the coffee forum and preserving it as alot of these websites come and go. Will keep that in mind next time I post.

Fuelledbycoffee: Funnily enough I sent it to Tassie and I think to the same coffee tech who sold you your La Era Nuova, if true then it is a small world. The coffee tech mentioned some coffee enthusiast hacking/modding a machine and it must be you :-)