Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By kofekitt
  • 1 Post By level3ninja

Thread: Elektra Semi-autiomatica SXC over current issue

Elektra Semi-autiomatica SXC over current issue

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Good Morning,

I am having an issue with my Elektra Semiautomatica SXC blowing my home circuit when its switched on, Has anyone has this issue at all? or know where I can get my hands on a wiring diagram / schematic so that i can diagnose the fault? I have had a quick look over the machine, nothing appears to be shorting out to ground, the element is around 60 ohms.

Cheers

Brad

Thanks JMcCee, that helps for an exploded view of parts, but i'm after an actual wiring / circuit diagram to troubleshoot the problem

Cheers

Brad

Have you tested the element leakage to earth? Even though it shows 60 ohms resistance, it can still be leaking to earth and tripping. Unfortunately the most common fault with these, and a pain to change that element!!
    saeco_user and bcoutts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kofekitt View Post
    Have you tested the element leakage to earth? Even though it shows 60 ohms resistance, it can still be leaking to earth and tripping. Unfortunately the most common fault with these, and a pain to change that element!!
    Ok thanks kofekitt, no I have not checked that, also do you happen to know the resistance of a known good element?

Thanks

Depends on the supply voltage and element style as there are two elements, but 60 ohms at 240v sounds about right . For earth leaks, one probe on either element terminal, and the other probe to metal body of machine or known earth connection. Should be higher than 10 mega ohms , sometimes they only fail when hot, but will get progressively worse . Be careful with electricity and make sure machine is un-plugged

Really needs to be tested with an insulation resistance tester and not just a multimeter on resistance to be certain. Disconnect the element completely and test between the electrical connection point and the metal case of the element at 250V and then 500V.

Also when you say "blowing the circuit", is it tripping an RCD, or circuit breaker, or combination RCD/MCB, or fuse...
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bcoutts View Post
    Good Morning, I am having an issue with my Elektra Semiautomatica SXC blowing my home circuit when its switched on, Has anyone has this issue at all? or know where I can get my hands on a wiring diagram / schematic so that i can diagnose the fault? I have had a quick look over the machine, nothing appears to be shorting out to ground, the element is around 60 ohms. Cheers Brad
    Yes, I had this exact problem a few months ago with my Semiautomatica.

At my house, which doesn't have RCD's it was working OK, but when I tried to use it at a friend's home, it tripped the breaker as soon as it was turned on.
    Testing with a multi-meter showed that there was leakage between the element and the boiler. When the element was removed and completely dried out, it tested OK, but after soaking for a few hours in water it tested low resistance again. It didn't look too badly corroded, but there must have been a pinhole or a fine crack in the outer casing allowing water to seep in.

I replaced the element, and it's now working fine again. In my machine the element is integral with the base, and as kofekitt said, it's a pain to replace. Needed to almost completely dismantle the entire machine.

I didn't have a wiring diagram, so as I removed /unplugged each wire, tagged it with a piece of masking tape, marked with what it was connected to.

It would pay to shop around for the new element, as I recall there was a quite a big difference in price between different suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    Really needs to be tested with an insulation resistance tester and not just a multimeter on resistance to be certain. Disconnect the element completely and test between the electrical connection point and the metal case of the element at 250V and then 500V.

Also when you say "blowing the circuit", is it tripping an RCD, or circuit breaker, or combination RCD/MCB, or fuse...

Its tripping the main CCB in my house circuit. I dont have a megger to do an insulation test. My multi meter reads around 5 meg ohm to from terminal to earth.

I have placed an order for the element to replace on spec. One of the terminals is slightly rusted and appears to be moist when its been sitting for a period of time, so i am suspecting a cracked element causing a short to earth.

Cheers

Thanks deegee, I have made an order to espresso workshop in Manly, for around $120.

I have done some checks with my multi meter and its reading around 5 meg ohms to earth, and 60 ohms between contacts. I have noticed a small amount of water on one of the contacts and its slightly discoloured / rusted, so decided to replace it on spec.

Ive taken a few photos and drew a schematic up to keep track of where everything gos, il also label like you did.

Do you have any tips on what i should look out for whilst replacing the element?

Thanks Brad

Quote Originally Posted by bcoutts View Post
    Thanks deegee, I have made an order to espresso workshop in Manly, for around $120.
    I have done some checks with my multi meter and its reading around 5 meg ohms to earth, and 60 ohms between contacts. I have noticed a small amount of water on one of the contacts and its slightly discoloured / rusted, so decided to replace it on spec.
    Ive taken a few photos and drew a schematic up to keep track of where everything gos, il also label like you did.

Do you have any tips on what i should look out for whilst replacing the element? Thanks Brad
    If a multi-meter reads only 5 megs to earth , it would surely fail a megger test. ( Mine was worse than that, about 3 megs I think )
    Sixty ohms is about right for the resistance of the element - 800 watts @ 220/230v.

Taking a pic or two is a good idea, and so is drawing a diagram, so you have the bases covered there.

The only tip I can give you is to dismantle the machine before you pick up the new element , and get new gaskets to replace any that you take out . I expect you will need a boiler gasket at least. Not sure about any others because your model must be different from mine.

Cheers, deegee.