Thread: ECM Giotto Premium questions

ECM Giotto Premium questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I've seen a second hand ECM Giotto Premium coming up. Seller is asking $1500 which IMHO is overpriced considering what I've seen them sell for on here but they are flexible on price.

From what I understand it was an underused office machine and then an underused home machine. Don't think it's been serviced in at least 4 years (possibly longer) however.

If I go to take a look at it what should I look for? Is the cover easy to take off to see in the insides to check for damage/leaks?

He's dreaming at that price. I think that version is the "half moon" gauge one which is maybe 10 years old. If it has the circular gauge it's a bit younger and probably worth around $1300.
    I'd be checking the mushroom for scale, that will be your best indicator as to the internal condition. Definitely worth having a look inside as well, pull out the boiler probe and check for scale, get a torch and have a look for corrosion and internal leaks. Hopefully he has some sort of service history that will give you confidence that the machine has been looked after. If you're not convinced of the condition then go with a low ball offer and budget for a thorough service.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo1111 View Post
    He's dreaming at that price. I think that version is the "half moon" gauge one which is maybe 10 years old. If it has the circular gauge it's a bit younger and probably worth around $1300.
    I'd be checking the mushroom for scale, that will be your best indicator as to the internal condition. Definitely worth having a look inside as well, pull out the boiler probe and check for scale, get a torch and have a look for corrosion and internal leaks. Hopefully he has some sort of service history that will give you confidence that the machine has been looked after. If you're not convinced of the condition then go with a low ball offer and budget for a thorough service.
    Thanks for that. It deffo is the older model so at least 10 years old as from what I understand they stopped making them around 2008. I was thinking more like a $1k offer for it. Although it sounds like it's not got much of a service history. They claim it's only be used occasionally in the last few years to steam milk and that's it... I get the feeling they inherited it without really knowing what to do with it.

My not so faithful Breville Dual Boiler is heading for the scrap heap so I might go check it out and see if I can get a deal.

Cheers.

I always thought the half moon gauge ecm giotto was the latest model since it has ball joint steam and hot water arms with better rotary knobs, compared to the rotating arms of the other model.

If you're looking at a machine that old that hasn't had a service for 4 years plus, don't offer more than $500 especially if nothing has been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by kyeba View Post
    If you're looking at a machine that old that hasn't had a service for 4 years plus, don't offer more than $500 especially if nothing has been replaced.
    I was thinking of offering $800 but I could try and be cheeky with a $500 bid