Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Pecky
  • 3 Post By noidle22

Thread: De’Longhi - New 2019 Breville Oracle Lookalike

De’Longhi - New 2019 Breville Oracle Lookalike

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    https://www.applianceretailer.com.au...ffee-category/

If they aren’t paying Breville something for the similarity thats a bit cheeky....

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    https://www.applianceretailer.com.au...ffee-category/

If they aren’t paying Breville something for the similarity thats a bit cheeky....
    Should Breville also be paying up the line? They certainly weren’t the first to produce a ‘combi’ machine.

Any machines produced prior to the Breville that look so similar to it? Its not just the grinder/espresso machine combo. The overall machine really looks similar in its external design and the design isn’t as generic as just another e61 stainless box. To me the De’Longhi looks like a Breville...

Similar sure, but hardly a direct copy. If anything it looks more like a Pavoni but with the grinder on the other side.

Okay so I've just taken delivery of one of these, bought with QFF points through their store, then found these forums after making my purchase. Wow, do I ever have a lot to learn! Home coffees until now have primarily been Aldi capsules to make latte style drinks using the Breville frothing jug. Long ago had a small domestic Krupps espresso unit.

Thought I'd note my discoveries here in case they are useful to anybody else.

I've been using Medium Roast Aldi beans to try and get my technique and set up sorted and hope to get some bean bay beans once I've used them up. The unit comes with pressurized dual wall baskets and has a 51 mm portafilter. I've bought some single wall un-pressurized baskets from eBay that seem to fit well. At this stage I'm waiting to get some fresh roasted beans before starting to experiment with the single wall basket as based on the best before date my ALDI beans are almost two months old.

The built in grinding/tamping system seems OK in that it creates very little mess on the bench and makes it easy to be consistent and level with the tamping. Downside is that the tamper is plastic faced and isnt as good a fit into the basket as I would have hoped, maybe half a mm gap of untamped area around the edge. I have the grinder set to one, the finest setting and it seems OK but probably won't really know until I start using the un-pressurized baskets. According to the manual there is further electronic adjustment available through the push button menu. I've adjusted the water temp to be hotter using the menus as I wasn't convinced it was coming out of the group head at 92 but need better thermometers to check.

The Panarello wand seems to do a reasonable job of creating idiot proof microfoam. You can just sit it in the jug and let it do its thing for acceptable results. The supplied milk jug is only really big enough for a single 230 ml latte and the steam switches off after 1 minute, which only just gets that mount of milk up to 60 degrees, you can however flick it off and then straight back on to do a larger jug.

So far it's a big improvement over the pods I was used too. There are three different coffee roasters within the block I work at so I've no excuse for drinking poor coffee really. I feel I've just taken a tiny step in what may be a long journey!

Many thanks to mjoyce for the "pay it back" Rhinoware knock box. Put in a copper bar with brass end caps and a clear hose cover and it looks a treat.
    matth3wh likes this.

Yeah, not a fan of these. When a machine comes only with dual wall baskets yet has an integrated grinder and touts the advantages of freshly ground coffee, something is very wrong.

The "smart tamping station" is just a plastic tamper connected to a lever. It has no intelligence or control aside from the tension preset into the lever mechanism. It's really rendered useless when it doesn't fit the basket very well anyway. Much better to just tamp manually.

The grinder itself uses a burr set that looks identical to the ancient Breville BCG450. It also has a very limited adjustment range when you get to the espresso range.

The group is fully plastic and is not physically connected to the thermocoil, this is very common on a lot of new machines. Temperature stability is non existent.

All this for significantly more money than a Breville Barista Express (a proven, vastly superior machine)? I would not recommend.
    matth3wh, shauno and 338 like this.

All valid criticisms noidle22.

At the time it was 20% cheaper (in terms of QFF points) than the Barista Express at the Qantas store but is now almost 60,000 points more than what I got it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Pecky View Post
    All valid criticisms noidle22.

At the time it was 20% cheaper (in terms of QFF points) than the Barista Express at the Qantas store but is now almost 60,000 points more than what I got it for.
    I think you will still be able to produce fair coffee with it given some time and practice to get used to it.
    I would definitely advise purchasing a separate 51mm metal tamper instead of using the onboard one once you have your single wall baskets. You can get these tampers pretty cheap on ebay/aliexpress.