Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Caffeinator

Thread: Wet steam from a Brewtus IV

The Strand, Western Cape Province, South Africa

Wet steam from a Brewtus IV

What could be the cause of the excessive wetness of the steam on such a machine? The technical guy at the agents I purchased it from said it could be that the sensor regulating water level in the steam kettle allows too high a level of water in the kettle, but how can this came about when the machine has been making good micro foam six months ago and has not been tampered with in any way? When steaming into a vessel that has been heated with boiling water, a lot of water appears in the vessel, even if I let go a good, prolonged purging dose of steam first?

The result is that milk would not foam properly as I have become used to in the past almost two years since I bought the machine.

Any suggestions?

G'day Louis...

As it happens, fine scale deposits can build up on the Boiler Level and Safety Probes, and it might be worth your while to pull them out and inspect then. If necessary you can then clean them and replace in the exact same positions they were originally. Scale buildup could be allowing the water level in the boiler get too high.

I imagine you haven't altered the Steam Boiler PID Setpoint? Should be set between 125-130C to ensure powerful dry steam production.

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    G'day Louis...

As it happens, fine scale deposits can build up on the Boiler Level and Safety Probes, and it might be worth your while to pull them out and inspect then. If necessary you can then clean them and replace in the exact same positions they were originally. Scale buildup could be allowing the water level in the boiler get too high.

I imagine you haven't altered the Steam Boiler PID Setpoint? Should be set between 125-130C to ensure powerful dry steam production.

Mal.
    I did not know one could change steam boiler temperature. I shall look into it, thanks for the tip.

Unless things have changed since I last saw inside, the Minore/Brewtus PID controls the brew boiler only.

A conventional pressurestat attends to steam.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    Unless things have changed since I last saw inside, the Minore/Brewtus PID controls the brew boiler only.

A conventional pressurestat attends to steam.
    You are quite right on this point. I shall have to alter the setting of the pressure stat on the steam boiler and see if that makes a difference.
    I am however getting the idea that my problem is the milk and not the machine.