Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By deegee
  • 1 Post By Lyrebird

Thread: Elektra Micro Casa Leva - Experiences?

Elektra Micro Casa Leva - Experiences?

Hi Everyone,

I've been trawling these forums for a little while now and thought I best say hello as well as get some advice!

I'm looking at buying a micro casa leva some time over the next few weeks and just wanted to know if anyone has any tips regarding the machine or any accessories that I might find useful?
    My biggest decision is deciding on the chrome version (wife's favourite) and the chrome/brass (my favourite). My only concern is the wearing of the brass. Does anyone here have experience with this?

Thanks guys,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by CatBowl View Post
    My biggest decision is deciding on the chrome version (wife's favourite) and the chrome/brass (my favourite). My only concern is the wearing of the brass. Does anyone here have experience with this? Thanks guys, Andy
    I have an old all-brass MCAL which I bought to restore. All of the clear surface coating is gone, so the brass tarnishes quite quickly and needs frequent polishing to keep it shiny. I'm not sure whether to polish it up and get it re-coated or maybe have it chromed.

I once bought a nice Pavoni Pro in copper and brass. Looked great, but over time the coating collected some scratches and eventually wore through in a couple of places, after which it didn't look good at all.

I also have an all chrome (or nickel ?) Elektra Semiautomatica which was a few years old when I bought it. But it was shiny then, and several years later it's still just as good.

Like you I prefer the look of the copper and brass machines, but they need to be handled with lots of TLC. Even then, the clear coat will dull a little over time, and probably get a scratch or two.

There is no doubt in my mind that the chrome version will still look good long after the brass or copper version has lost it's shine.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks for the reply

I feared that would be the case with the brass and it's probably enough to make me go for the all chrome version. I still think it looks amazing in chrome so it's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    I'm not sure whether to polish it up and get it re-coated or maybe have it chromed.
    If you do recoat it, may I recommend "Like Armour" lacquer. Incredibly tough and forgiving.

No affiliation yada yada, other than that I've been using it for years.
    deegee likes this.