• 1 Post By flynnaus
  • 1 Post By CafeLotta
  • 2 Post By Caffeinator
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By buderim11

Thread: Rocket Appartamento warm up time

Question Rocket Appartamento warm up time

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi first time post here and wondering if anyone with experience of the Rocket Appartamento can give me a realistic idea of the time it takes from switching on to being able to pull a decent shot? Looking to upgrade from a Sunbeam 6910 we've had for over 10 years and liking what I'm hearing about the Appartamento, but have seen varying comments about the warm up time. My husband is concerned it might be too long to realistically fit in to our morning routine. Any advice appreciated. Have also investigated Di Bartoli Lumina, ECM Mechanika Slim and Profitec Pro 500, but I like the look of the Appartamento and it seems to meet most of our other needs, although will be pushing the budget. Thanks in advance!

25-30mins seems to be the most quoted warm-up time.

Check you PM (Private messages) for additonal info.

Out of the machines you've listed, if the budget can be stretched the Profitec Pro 500 (now with PID) would be my choice. Lots of happy owners out there with this machine if you search this forum. Should be some good prices available on this model also after the release of the Profitec Pro 600.
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 18th November 2018 at 11:57 AM.
    flynnaus and mindastar like this.

Yes, at least 30 mins and that would also apply to any of the other machines you are interested in. The boiler heats up in about 10-15 mins but its the heavy grouphead that takes much longer to get hot. You can reduce that time by running hot water through the grouphead once the boiler gets up to temperature but many here use a timer to turn the machine on automatically so it is hot enough for when you are ready to make your coffee (and turn it off again when you've finished).

Depending on what you already have, your grinder might need to be upgraded too. A good machine paired with an inferior grinder may lead to a disappointing cuppa.
    mindastar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    The boiler heats up in about 10-15 mins but its the heavy grouphead that takes much longer to get hot. You can reduce that time by running hot water through the grouphead once the boiler gets up to temperature......
    Depending on the temp of the water flushing through the E61 grouphead, it can get temporarily overheated and lead to overheated brew water. Waiting a few minutes (maybe 3 or 4) after longer flushes (eg. when trying to speed up initial heating), lets the grouphead temp stabilise again. Also applies to a Heat Exchanger machine that's been idle for a longer time as the initial flow of brew water out of the exchanger will be hotter.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    Depending on the temp of the water flushing through the E61 grouphead, it can get temporarily overheated and lead to overheated brew water.
    Yeah, not a preferred method but one I have used in an 'emergency'.
    CafeLotta likes this.

A bit of a video tour/review of the Appartmento - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yDyFi0UsE8
    mindastar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    A bit of a video tour/review of the Appartmento - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yDyFi0UsE8
    Thanks I've had a look at that one, and another where it's compared to a Breville dual boiler. It's a very nice looking machine and the solid build is appealing to me.

Not sure if you picked up that the deal I mentioned ends at midnight tonight 18/11/18.

I hadn't CafeLotta, thanks for that. Not quite ready to commit, aiming to have decided by the end of the week.

Site Sponsor
    Hi mindastar and welcome,

The morning routine shouldn't be a problem. You can run the machine off a timer switch so that it comes on, say, an hour before you need it. Of course there may be times when the machine's not on and you want coffee in a hurry so you could consider a coffee machine with fast warm up time instead.

charlie

I'm an Aussie based in Abu Dhabi but currently working in Rwanda
    30 mins is pretty standard for a HX machine to warm everything up .If morning routine is the concern, you could also look at setting it on a timed switch (or simply it on as soon as you wake up - that's what I do).

Had a PID, SSR and 2 x cartridge heaters added to one I have...

7 min to ready to roll....
    Dimal and level3ninja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post

I'd love to see photos
    Dimal likes this.

Wemo smart plug is your friend

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C029/

You can even turn it on remotely if you feel like a coffee when you get home. I have mine switch on in the morning with an auto switch off.

Quote Originally Posted by mentasm View Post
    Wemo smart plug is your friend

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C029/

You can even turn it on remotely if you feel like a coffee when you get home. I have mine switch on in the morning with an auto switch off.
    Agree with smart plug, but wemo overpriced (that is a US link). Try this from Bunnings

https://www.bunnings.com.au/brillian...arger_p0091644

It must meet Australian standards coolie21, and I'm sure it will have a warranty. But as an electrician I would buy the WeMo.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post

Wow 7 mins sounds great that makes it like Sunbeam/Breville times , How do you attach the cartridge heaters to the group head and what wattage did you use ?

On RS cartridge heaters are quite cheap to buy .
    level3ninja likes this.

I'm fairly sure the WEMo used to be sold in Australia, but was withdrawn from the market a year or two or three ago. If you search you may still be able to find some orphaned links for it. You can get a TPLink smart switch, which is similar to the WeMo, for around $60 from various places like Officeworks, Jaycar, The Good Guys and probably the local fish and chip shop. The Bunnings model is a lot less expensive for $20. But is it cheap?