• 1 Post By Mb21
  • 3 Post By level3ninja
  • 3 Post By chokkidog
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso

Thread: Recommend me a coffee machine for the office - $2.5k budget

Recommend me a coffee machine for the office - $2.5k budget

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Folks,

Our office needs a coffee machine and I'm looking for some successful recommendations. Here's our criteria:

- Minimal mess - built in grinder and possibly tamper is preferred
    - Ability to texture milk manually so we don't have an attached milk container that no one will clean and it will get skanky
    - Budget of $2500
    - We'll make around 50 coffees per day

I roast my own beans and will bring them in. Currently we only have a plunger.

I've seen the Breville The Oracle machine which may fit the bill? https://www.harveynorman.com.au/brev...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Open to all suggestions and any help will be much appreciated!

Another option for you

https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...lit-kate-pl82t

50 coffees a day for a machine i would have though is better to get a plumbed in commercial machine and seperate grinder as it will see 5-7kg of coffee a week
    chippy likes this.

I can't see the Oracle lasting long at 50 a day.
    chokkidog, chippy and Caffeinator like this.

Breville would be lucky to last about 3 months in that context.

Thereís also a possibility that they would not provide warranty service if itís being used at a commercial volume.

Iíd be looking for something more heavy duty.

Agree with the above posts - need to look at something more commercial grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    Another option for you

https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...lit-kate-pl82t

50 coffees a day for a machine i would have though is better to get a plumbed in commercial machine and seperate grinder as it will see 5-7kg of coffee a week
    +1

and maybe a service contract.....

A combo machine would be an expensive short term investment

You're mixing your metaphors... 50 coffees a day requires a proper commercial single or two group machine and grinder, no question. Your budget is a little light, perhaps you could find something second hand.

There are grinders that will dose by weight very well and leave little to no mess... check out Etzmax.

I'd rather stick with Press or Behmor Brazen coffee than a super auto that's dosing out 7-9 gms of watery sour coffee. Most coffee machines have peaks and troughs of use over a day and
    whatever you install will need to cope with rush hour.
    Dimal, level3ninja and hathro like this.

A factory refurbished Jura professional machine would do the job. If you can stretch the budget you can pick up a refurbished Giga 5 for around $3k, they're rated for 120 cups a day.

If you use fresh beans and spend some time dialing in the grinders and doses for each drink, it can make more than acceptable coffee. The Giga 5 also houses the grinders a long way from the thermocoils (like most big Jura's) and uses an active airflow system comprising of vents and fans to keep the insides cool.

The problem most super autos suffer in an office environment is the use of old beans and lack of regular cleaning. Provided you keep on top of the maintenance when it tells you to and keep the milk frothing system clean, you won't have any major issues.

I've asked around the office and 50 may be a bit much - I think I was very thirsty at the time! Let's say 30 however I'm not sure that changes things.

We were going for the lowest common denominator with automation however the majority of the heavy coffee drinkers already have fully manual machines at home.

Thanks for all the feedback so far and I like the direction this is going.

Hathro:

We have had limited success with Melitta (Melitta Cafeo CI) fully automatics. I would say at times it would have made 50 coffees per day as we had 25 staff and a few heavy coffee drinkers in the office.

However even with good beans (roasted fresh up the road) the coffee is not that flash.

As others have commented the fully autos really require someone to do regular cleaning and servicing. This machine has been repaired twice in 2 years due to coffee oils or fines blocking the workings.
    Last edited by roosterben; 1 Week Ago at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post

The problem most super autos suffer in an office environment is the use of old beans and lack of regular cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterben View Post
    Hathro:

As others have commented the fully autos really require someone to do regular cleaning and servicing.
    Agreed, this is paramount, repeat PARAMOUNT. I have been in the unfortunate situation of seeing this type of machine packed full of botrytis mould due to the old chestnut of "someone, anyone and everyone"
    ( which, of course, = no-one!! )

But for you Hathro, it looks like you're on track to solving the question of what type... now it's a matter of which one!! Keep us posted!

Site Sponsor
    You could get a relatively clean, fast, stand alone grinder and then the machine choice opens up.

But, I suspect the real issue here is budget. Essentially, you need good gear to get the job done well with a minimum of fuss for years to come. Especially in a business, it's about return on investment as much as a perk for staff.

Is it possible to make the case for a more expensive setup? If staff use the machine rather than walking down the street or going without you could make the case that productivity will increase Then there's the "value" of the coffee being made. Even at $1 per cup for the first 12 months - $1 per cup x 30 per day x 5 days per week x 50 weeks per year = $7,500. That's two group commercial and fast grinder money with change.

charlie
    Dimal likes this.