Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Lyrebird
  • 1 Post By Lyrebird

Thread: plumbing fabrication for broken pipe

plumbing fabrication for broken pipe

hi all,

I broke off the pressure release valve thread when i trying to remove this pipe. It's off a Isomac Tea duo
    Now it's stuck inside this pipe and can't be removed without damage.
    Replacing the pressure release valve is easy but now i'm after this pipe which is impossible to find.

I've tried for the last 4 weeks and have gotten nowhere.

Does anyone know where i can get this part fabricated in Melbourne....or anywhere else in oz?

thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is it? 1/4 or 5/16" copper?
    Surely a few tube fitters local to you?
    If not, Blackwood's sell the olives, and nuts. Just need to anneal the tube and bend it. Tighten the nuts to seat the olives.
    I'd be bending the short side before cutting the pipe to length. It looks a bit tight

Coffee machines don't commonly use olive compression fittings.

The exact parts required are available from site sponsor Coffee Parts, eg if they are 3/8 fittings on an 8mm tube you need parts 527854 and 700000. Anyone who can braze can fit them to the tube. If you can't find anyone locally I'll do it for you FOC if you buy the parts and send them to me (I'm in Willy most of the time, Beechworth the rest).
    chippy and Jackster like this.

Thanks guys.
    I have no idea how to work out if its 1/4 inch or not. I'll have to take it to bunnings and try other fittings to see if it fits.
    Might take yiu up on your offer Lyrebird.
    I'm not far from willy.

Will keep you posted

Cheers

Two methods:

1. Measure across the inside of the threads of the part that is not stuffed. Metric threads are just BSP in disguise* so as a rough guide, subtract 5mm from the ID of the thread then divide by 25 to get the inch size eg if the ID of the thread is 11mm, 11mm - 5mm = 6mm , 6 divided by 25 = 0.24 so it's 1/4".

2. Simpler but less reliable: check what size spanner fits across the flats: a 1/4" fitting is usually 14mm, a 3/8" usually 17mm and a 1/2" usually 22mm.

To measure the tube diameter: wrap it in a piece of masking tape, cut the tape along the tube with a razor blade, unwrap it, measure the width between the cuts and divide by Pi.

* The ISO just adopted the British standard and changed the names to confuse everyone.
    Last edited by Lyrebird; 1 Week Ago at 01:31 PM.
    Dimal likes this.