Thread: Expobar minore/ office leva question

Expobar minore/ office leva question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all,
    Recently purchased a Minore I from fellow CSer Krusty, although it is not really a Minore I anymore...

- Has the more recent PID from a newer Minore
    - I just replaced the steam taps and lever with those from an old ECM Giotto that I found next to a dumpster (sans boiler otherwise I'd be using it!)

I'll have to get some pictures up, it looks pretty dang classy with the ECM taps.

Anyway - I would like to add a steam boiler switch like the newer Minores; I understand why the steam boiler comes on first and has priority over the brew boiler, but this understanding doesn't make me any more patient when I'm wanting it to heat up so I can have some coffee. Seems far more reasonable to get the brew boiler up to temp then flick on the steam boiler manually - cut overall heating time I reckon.

I've had a look on the internet but Expobar diagrams seem annoyingly difficult to procure. Anyone have a diagram for the newer Minore/ Brewtus, or even an older one so I can work out the basic logic of it?

My thinking is that they just put a switch in line with the appropriate pressurestat wire so the ECU thinks the boiler is up to temperature at all times, but you know, I'd rather confirm this is the right way to do it before I go cutting the wiring up.

From memory, Whole Latte Love have some docs on their site for the Brewtus (Minore in US). Will be version IV though.

I've got the II and I thought the brew boiler heated up first?? I can see temp starts going up pretty soon after switching on. I could be totally wrong though.

Nope definitely the steam boiler. Deadband is wider on the steam boiler; if brew had priority electrically the steam boiler would be switching on and off as much as brew - would make for an annoying experience. The temperature does seem to rise but I think this is probably due to the heat transfer between the boilers. My thermal safety on the brew boiler tripped the other day and the brew boiler still got up to 45 degrees despite not having an element.

Ah.. excellent. I've seen the parts diagram before BUT I didn't dig deep enough to see if it has an electrical diagram.. and it does!!
    Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by doommachine; 27th December 2018 at 10:46 AM.

Yep, I was totally wrong (got that part right ;-) I watched my machine warmup this morning and steam boiler gauge went up first, as you said. It was surprisingly quick though. About 4 min for steam boiler to reach temp and the brew boiler took another 3-4 min so less than 10 minutes in total (machine not used since 3 pm the day before). (EDIT: Minore II has 2000W heating elements which is higher than version I IIRC).You could probably pull a shot if you flushed the GH a few times first but I tend to wait 20 minutes before using it.

Post back if/when you make the changes, as it might be of interest to others. If my original red PID ever went, I'd consider one of the third party arduino-based PID kits - they are about the same price and allow control via phone. I'd also love a shot timer like some other machines have.

Yeah, I flush it to get it up to temp, but I almost never drink milk based drinks so it's a little redundant for me to have the steam boiler running. Likely there will be some sacrifice as far as temperature stability, I believe the boilers are linked hydraulically speaking but.. we'll see I guess. I'll keep you posted!

I believe the brew water line goes through the steam boiler first (pre-heat exchange), similar to the Breville DB and others. But this would only make a difference if you were to be pulling many shots in a row, I'd think, considering the size of the brew boiler. So for 1-2 shots you'd probably never notice a difference if the steam boiler was off vs on.