• 1 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Jackster

Thread: unico splendour shot times?

unico splendour shot times?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi folks,

i picked up a unico splendor second hand yesterday and i've been playing with it all day trying to get it to brew a good espresso. alas im not winning

the issue im having is I cant get it to slow the shot time down no matter what i do its all over in under 15 seconds.

im doing smallest grind i can without the grinder locking up

its a 18 grams in a double shot thats weighed and tampered down.

ideas on what could be wrong?

also its really hard to get the portafilter onto the group head.

a video of the whole sorry exercise!

thanks

david

This looks to be a bean or grinder issue, the machine is most likely fine.

What beans are you using and do you know when they were roasted? What grinder are you using?
    Dimal likes this.

Evening Bubble, welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Looks suspiciously like a combination of stale coffee and not fine enough.

If its difficult to lock the portafilter in you could be over dosing, jamming the puck hard against the dispersion screen, this wouldn't help and may ultimately damage the screen, try dosing and tamping the basket as you normally do, lightly sit a 5 cent piece on top of the puck, then lock the PF in place, don't pull a shot, remove the PF, you should see a slight imprint of the coin in the puck, if its buried in the puck back the dose off a little and repeat the test until you get it right.

How old are the beans your using and where did you buy them?

What type of grinder are you using? as most will tell you on this forum, a good grinder is more than half the battle.

The Unico Splendor has an excellent reputation.

Good luck.
    Dimal likes this.

thanks for replying.

the grinder is the unico splendor grinder. i think its fairly good quality.

the burs on the grinder looked fine

i was using a specilty bean from a local cafe that was roasted on 12/12/18. so its fresh. i changed over to some crap from the supermarket after about teh 5th brew to try and experiment with pressure, grind, tamper weight, etc as the specilty bean was a bit expensive to keep . nothing i did made a difference.

also even with no coffee in the portafilter its still pretty stiff to get on the grouphead. i have zero experince so im not sure if its meant to twist all the way but its hard enough to get on that when i used the portafilter with no holes to do a backwash the portafilter almost came off the group head under the pressure squarting hot water.

Last edited by bubble777; 29th December 2018 at 07:53 PM.

Supermarket beans will certainly give the results your experiencing, Ive yet to find any worth using.

The PF should lock in with light pressure with the handle around 6 o'clock.

Have you checked the seal as well as the underneath of the group head for gunk etc that could be causing a problem? suggest removing seal and screen to do this.

Cant comment on the grinder I'm not familiar with it.

The links in your last post are not working for me.
    Dimal likes this.

That grinder is an entry level flat blade machine. The burrs could have worn out as it is old or it is just not grinding fine enough.

First thing to try, with the grinder running and no beans in, slowly tighten the adjustment collar until you can hear a light metal on metal scraping sound. Back the collar off 3-4 steps and try it from there with the cafe beans. You should be able to get an acceptable extraction at this point.
    If the shots are still gushing with this setting, the blades are worn out or there is something else wrong.

If you turn the adjustment collar and it stops before you can hear the metal on metal sound, it could have a pin that stops the blades from meshing together as a safety device. As it's old, it may need to go finer than this lock pin to get the right grind. You would have to look around the adjustment collar area for something that is stopping it if this is the case and remove it.

Regarding the group head seal, it's probably got a rubber seal in it and they can change shape as they wear and perish causing the handle to be hard to lock in. It's possible it just has the wrong size seal in it as well. If you pop the seal out, it might even say the thickness on it. It will either be 8, 8.5 or 9mm. 8 is common on newer machines, 8.5 on older machines and 9mm or more on worn out machines.
    If there is no indication of thickness, you can measure it or just order 8mm and 8.5mm silicone seals and try them both and use the most suitable one.
    Dimal likes this.

i updated the images so they should show now.

yes i was thinking it might be the wrong seal so i will dismantle it and have a crack at replacing it. i can really only get the portafilter to about 7 oclock with some serious muscle behind it even with no coffe in the basket

with the grinder i can turn the collar so the blades are touching and the motor will not turn until i back it off a few notches. it doesn't seem to have any safety lock on it.

Shouldn't need to use muscle when locking in the PF, light pressure is all it takes, as noidle suggested, a silicone seal of the correct size should make a vast difference.

Hard to tell from a photo but the burrs look pretty dull to me.
    Dimal likes this.

thankyou so much everyone for all your help.. i think ill try and get some new burs for the grinder. i closed it to the point of rubbing and then ground some and still no change.. anything i grind i cant choke the flow.. its always like Niagara falls

Quote Originally Posted by bubble777 View Post
    the burs on the grinder looked fine
    Sorry, but those burrs look worn to me...
    Shouldn't observe a "light reflecting facet" along the cutting edge. It indicates that the burrs are in fact worn enough to cause problems.

While this is indeed an entry level grinder as indicated above, a new set of OEM burrs (not generic) should make a huge difference in grinder output quality, improvements in use and much better results in the cup.

Mal.
    Yelta likes this.

Tightening the grinder till it stalls the motor is a surefire way to burn the motor out in the grinder in a very small amount of time.
    Adjust till touching means you can just hear them glancing off each other, not destroying themselves.

When you are grinding beans and there is beans in the burrs, don't adjust grind tighter unless the grinder is running, or the grinder is empty. If you do, you are just loading up the adjustment collar or bending things inside.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Tightening the grinder till it stalls the motor is a surefire way to burn the motor out in the grinder in a very small amount of time.
    Adjust till touching means you can just hear them glancing off each other, not destroying themselves.

When you are grinding beans and there is beans in the burrs, don't adjust grind tighter unless the grinder is running, or the grinder is empty. If you do, you are just loading up the adjustment collar or bending things inside.

good point thanks.

i took off the rubber washer from the group head it reads 8.5mm so i will try a 8mm washer.

ill measure up the burrs with a set of digital calipers to try and find a matching pair online.