Thread: Channelling issue on Breville Oracle

Channelling issue on Breville Oracle

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I bought Breville naked portafilter and used it on my Breville Oracle machine, and I notice that the specific portion of the basket (2 o clock) doesn't contribute at all and the liquid pours from more than one section of the basket instead of just at the centre. The shower screen is clean, so it can't be that. What should I do to improve my shot? All setting is by default. It affects the taste of the espresso in my opinion. Before I bought the Breville naked portafilter, I knew that there could be an issue with the way the oracle grind and tamp of the coffee grind, but this was just confirmed when I bought the Breville naked portafilter that there's channelling happening.

Yes, I had the same experience and didn't find an internal solution.
    I found that the only way to solve it was to manually distribute and tamp. And given that you have to do this, I just use a separate grinder.
    The integrated grinder is now just used by the wife.

May I know which grinder are you using?

Baratza Forte

Quote Originally Posted by sageybadegey View Post
    I bought Breville naked portafilter ... used it on my Breville Oracle machine...
    I notice that the specific portion of the basket (2 o clock) doesn't contribute at all....
    A/The vagaries of Fluid Flow and variance in the internal resistance you set up in the puck.
    The liquid pours from more than one section of the basket instead of just at the centre.
    A/*Too Slow flow. Loosen the recipe a touch. And I mean a touch. Is your tamper matched to the right fit for the basket?
    Have you confirmed your puck 'setup' sits below the shower screen (not disturbed when you lock away the PF handle)
    * The key response here. Portional flow out of the basket is simply that the machine can't overcome the resistance as setup. Therefore only 'does' where it has the capability too!

The shower screen is clean, so it can't be that.
    A/Inconsequential. The equipment is a respondent to yours and the beans input.

What should I do to improve my shot?
    A/Research the Mano of the 4M's of coffee.
    And 5cent test.
    Understand the correct maximum puck height that suits your machine / basket. Then convert that to a
    Dose Weight ( one off assessment) Then Stick to that Dose Weight and then and only then if necessary
    change one thing only at a time ( grind setting, tamp weight being your main tools) and assess the taste of the shot on each and every shot.

It affects the taste of the espresso in my opinion.
    A/And yes of course it will. However in time to come you will experience just how Small a change can effect the taste dramatically.
    You will need to taste the good and not so good (and have a record to assist your memory!) to recognise which direction to head towards.

Before I bought the Breville naked portafilter, I knew that there could be an issue with the way the oracle grind.
    A/I can't comment. I've never used this equipment. However the basics of espresso coffee apply.
    It is a known fact that Espresso coffee equipment is like rungs on a step ladder.
    The Grinder matched with a machine at a certain level can show up its inadequacies when a 'higher level' of machine is introduced.

Tamp of the coffee grind.
    A/ A Tamper is a 1%. Measure your basket at the point where the basket puck setups up, minus 0.15m-0.25mm.

There's channelling happening.
    A/ Over stated here (IMHO) / excuse.
    Fresh Beans well roasted, stored correctly, dosed to match, ground to suit, finished off with the correct tamp weight,espressed In the Correct Weight Ratio, Blended to Drinkers Preference....I.E. The Mano of the Barista's Task =

The equipment can only respond to the Barista's inputs

Good Luck with your adventures
    Last edited by coffeeguy84; 5th January 2019 at 01:21 PM.