Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Lyrebird
  • 1 Post By Greenlai
  • 1 Post By butchok

Thread: Faema Carisma S1 pressure guage.

Faema Carisma S1 pressure guage.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My first post so be gentle if itís in the wrong section. I have just purchased a fairly new Carisma S1 and the pressure guage is getting a lot of condensation in it. Enough so as to not be able to read the pressure.
    I think it needs a new guage, maybe a leak internally. I have searched on line for a replacement but am unable to find the correct one.
    Would any one know the best place to source a replacement?. It is a 16 bar orman.
    Cheers David

Possibly not the gauge itself, I'd check the vacuum relief before replacing the gauge.

If the vacuum relief doesn't seat properly it can result in a minor but steady steam leak which can condense in the gauge. One clue is if the machine refills fairly frequently when left at idle: this can be because it is making up for the water lost to the steam leak.

If you do need to replace the gauge you only need to check the dial size, max pressure and the tube fitting. Internally they are all basically the same.
    Last edited by Lyrebird; 20th January 2019 at 10:17 PM.
    cafelazio likes this.

It sits idle quite well with no pump noise. I do however seem to get excessive pressure on the guage when turned on and heating up. If I operate the grope head valve the pressure drops and stays steady and it does not seem to get condensation in the guage. If I do not release the pressure (sometimes at 16 bar) it causes condensation in the guage.
    Is it over pressurising? And why.

Quote Originally Posted by Airfireman1 View Post
    It sits idle quite well with no pump noise. I do however seem to get excessive pressure on the guage when turned on and heating up. If I operate the grope head valve the pressure drops and stays steady and it does not seem to get condensation in the guage. If I do not release the pressure (sometimes at 16 bar) it causes condensation in the guage.
    Is it over pressurising? And why.
    I'm guessing you mean 1.6 bar, which from memory is where it is set from the factory (1.5 bar). That pressure is good if you are making lots of coffee back to back but I generally set it at 0.9-1.1 bar. The lower pressure reduces your cooling flush.
    cafelazio likes this.

Hello Airfireman1, i,d agree with the above. I have the same Carisma s1. I think 1.6 bar is a high pressure to be running generally - and scorching your coffee - unless you're pumping out the espresso's with a fast work flow to run that kind of pressure and even then. Faema have a very well engineered home machine. I set the PID at 117į C (0.8 bar) steam is still ok but excellent espresso water temp -no need for cooling flushes. Try that and as Lyrebird suggested the vacuum release valve working correctly; might just solve you're problem. Let us know how you went. Lazio.

The pressure gauge on my Faema Carisma keeps fluctuating. Can’t read anything on the pressure gauge when brewing. Had this issue since new. Any ideas? Is the gauge or pump broken?

Hi butchok, could be any number of causes, apart from the pump or pressure gauge. Expansion valve/opv could be sticking; the dampening on the gauge is no good.
    Water and air trapped in the gauge line would cause it. Process of elimination.

Hi cafelazio, thanks for the reply. I replace the expansion valve as discussed on the other thread to eliminate this part with this issue. I installed an adjustable expansion valve and elbow for better access to it when adjusting pressure. But still have same issue with pressure gauge. What’s the best method to remove trapped air in gauge line?

After disconnecting capillary tube from the gauge some carefully applied heat to drive any moisture out if it is the problem should do it.
    Good luck butchok, let us know how you go. Are you in Australia ?

Yes, Sydney. Thanks for your help Cafelazio. After spending a lot of time with the pump and expnsion valve, finally fix the pressure gauge. As you said, it was moisture in the line and water in gauge that’s causing it to go crazy. As a bonus for trying to fix the gauge, I manage to lower to brew pressure to 10bar because of the new expansion valve installed. Thanks again.
    cafelazio likes this.

That is good news Butchok. Pleased to hear your gauge is steady. What was up with your pump and how do you think water was trapped in the capillary tubing?
    The faema carisma s1 i have has Vittoria stamped on it. I've been very pleased with it. Well engineered i must say.

Same as mine, Vittoria brand. I’m not sure how the water got trapped in the line. I bought mine new from a Bloke that won it in competition and it already had this small issue. First, i thought it was the pump that causing it that’s why I replace it. As you said, they are well engineered machine. Its got everything I was looking for on HX machine. (PID, Boiler and Brew Pressure)