Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 3 Post By ErinMor
  • 1 Post By level3ninja

Thread: BOEMA Classic repairs

BOEMA Classic repairs

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi espresso machine gurus,

I picked up a Boema Classic single group head machine for $120 and was told it should be in working order. Good news is the power comes on and the boiler and pump are working. I am not knowledgeable of the inner workings, but as far as I can tell, the problems Iíve found so far are:

The pressure release value is always releasing pressure. The brass parts on the outside of the boiler near this valve are going green so I assume this has been leaking for a while. Itís only a small amount of steam escaping and the pressure seems unaffected but it is noisy.

The steam wand is releasing a small amount of steam even when turned all the way off. We are assuming itís the valve/washer inside the pipe but thatís only a guess.

Water is pouring out all around the sides of the portafilter and the portafilter seems to turn further to the right than it should. We replaced the seal in the group head but that did nothing. Is this a worn collar?

There also may be an elecrical problem in that it tripped the surge protector a couple of times but that hasnít happened the last two times I powered it up.

The portafilters were rancid, thick, black.... Like they have never ever been cleaned before. It was disgusting. I canít put espresso machine cleaner through the machine yet because of the water leak, but I assume the internals are disgusting. There were visible signs of calcification on the outside of pipe connections inside machine but Iím afraid to descale. I read the sticky about descaling heat exchange machines and im definitely not in the Ďconfidentí category though Iím sure if my husband and I put our heads together we could figure things out. I just donít want to spend much on this meaning we will have to do all restoration ourselves.

So thanks in advance for any advice you can give about what we should do.

There also may be an elecrical problem in that it tripped the surge protector a couple of times but that hasn’t happened the last two times I powered it up.
    Surge protectors don't trip, do you mean the RCD (safety switch)? If a coffee machine is tripping an RCD it's usually due to water / steam, often a leak inside the machine. It could be a leaky element seal or water getting into the controls somewhere. I suspect that if you fix the pressure release valve issue this will clear up. If it continues after that report back and we can fault find it and clear it up.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    Surge protectors don't trip, do you mean the RCD (safety switch)? If a coffee machine is tripping an RCD it's usually due to water / steam, often a leak inside the machine. It could be a leaky element seal or water getting into the controls somewhere. I suspect that if you fix the pressure release valve issue this will clear up. If it continues after that report back and we can fault find it and clear it up.
    Yes, you are right. Sorry. Am I right in expecting that if I buy a new pressure relief value, this will fix that issue? Is there any other reason that valve would be leaking apart from a dodgy valve?

Oh actually, the problem with the leaking around the portafilter is just a dodgy fit. The new seal (which came with machine) just does not stay in place, but drops down (but is kept up there by the parts below it). This does not seem right to me at all, but isn't the main problem. The portafilters just aren't fitting. Neither are the ones from our other commercial machine. So it either needs a shim or 4 above the seal, or the portafilters aren't meant for the machine, or something else? I put our home machine's portafilter in it (from a Sunbeam EM7100 I think it is) and the extra thickness and chunk of it meant that I got a perfect seal and no leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinMor View Post
    Yes, you are right. Sorry. Am I right in expecting that if I buy a new pressure relief value, this will fix that issue? Is there any other reason that valve would be leaking apart from a dodgy valve?
    I'm an electrician, so I'm less sure about the valve, but my understanding is that a pressure relief valve will operate when the pressure in the vessel is higher than the resistance of the spring. Two possible scenarios can cause this 1- too much pressure 2- weak spring. You say the pressure is ok? Sounds like a dodgy spring. Replacement should fix it.

BOEMA Classic repairs

Sounds like the machine needs a full service and may need a manual de-scale among other things. If itís not something youíve done before itís a big task and you may be better off taking it to a repair centre. Boema and Boema agents do sell service kits if you want to try yourself, but as I said itís a big job. Also is there any evidence of the boiler leaking? What sort of the condition does the boiler gasket look to be in?
    Iíd say at the very least it will need the following:
    - replace tap seals
    - clean and backflush group and replace group gasket with one thatís the correct size
    - replace anti vac valve (the one thatís hissing. This is almost always replaced during a service)
    - replace mushroom valve and jet filter
    - check boiler and pump pressure and adjust if necessary
    - check electrical circuit and certify

It may also need:
    - Full manual de-scale of boiler and element
    - replace boiler and element gaskets if necessary
    - remove and soak steam and water pipes and valves then clean
    - replace pump seals

Thereís other things that may need attention too, but these are the most likely areas. If you want to know what sort of condition the internals are in remove the mushroom valve on top of the group head. If itís relatively clean in there thatís a good sign. If itís full of gunk and/or scale Iíd suggest you go visit a technician.
    Good luck, theyíre good workhorse machines if theyíre running well and you can usually repair them when they get a bit old and abused.
    level3ninja likes this.

Have a read of this thread-

Boema Single Group Adventure
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t

I'm trying to see this as an opportunity to learn about the inner workings of a simple espresso machine. So though we have virtually no experience, we will never have any until we get into it. If I pay someone to do it all, I will be forced to sell the machine. But I have an unnatural affection for it already. Haha. So there are two reasons to be cheap - I get to keep it, and we learn how to repair. It only cost $120 originally and it has clearly been very neglected for a long time... my motherly instinct makes me want to restore it and build a house big enough to fit it in. So all of your suggestions have been very helpful, as is the thread you linked, Leroy.

Currently I'm contemplating taking it all apart for a good clean, descale and replace all seals etc. It's exciting to contemplate but daunting too!
    bosco, Dimal and level3ninja like this.

On the plus side $120 is a small amount to risk for an intimate lesson in how a commercial espresso machine works. All the best.

P.S. if you're in Sydney and need something electrical done PM me.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks ninja. We are out in the sticks of rural NSW. I will have to time all my electrician needs for when my electrician brother visits again from QLD. ��

Just thinking about the mushroom valve... it is the only nut in the centre of the group head right? It has a sort of meshy filter cylinder under it? Inside this small cavity under that... it was utterly disgusting. It was like gunky, sandy (?!) rubbish I did my best to remove and clean but a proper clean will come later when I figure it all out. If what was in that is an indicator of the overall condition of the internals of the machine then the news is dire. ����

The Boema has no mushroom as it doesn’t have an e61 group but you can pull that but and clean the gauze filter, it does sound like it needs a strip descale and rebuild though. Pretty easy job just take lots of pictures etc. the machines are nothing astounding but they do ok, I’ve just stripped one for a project and may have some bits left if you need anything

True itís not technically a mushroom, but itís in the same spot and looks much the same from the outside. If weíre being accurate itís the Ďgroup jetí and by the sound of it you need to replace the strainer rather than clean it. If you buy a service kit from Boema youíll get one with it along with a new gasket from memory.
    If itís messy in there then itíll be pretty ugly inside the boiler too and Iíd highly recommend opening it up so that you can inspect it and manually descale it if needed. If part of the reason for getting it is education then get in there and pull things apart. Take lots of photos and notes though so that you know how to reassemble everything (something I learnt the hard way).