• 3 Post By Nugmo
  • 2 Post By 338
  • 4 Post By yulia001
  • 1 Post By pr1nce

Thread: Start with a Profitec 300 or 600 - looking for advice please

Start with a Profitec 300 or 600 - looking for advice please

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone

Been trawling the forums for the past couple of weeks and have learnt a hell of a lot....and looking for a machine that suits is almost as bad as looking for a car or boat!

I am a fussy coffee drinker, the wife less so, and we are upgrading from the good old Nespresso pod machine which we have not used in ages - would rather head down the road to the cafe. So we are both going to do intro Barista courses and buy a decent machine for home. We will make 1-3 shots most mornings and more over a weekend day. Entertaining people 6-8 at a time. Mostly milk based drinks (mine - Piccolo or cappas, and hers - long blacks).

As a beginner it sounds like a good DB is probably easier to learn and to live with so I have pretty much nailed it down to the 2 Profitec's (300 and 600). The only real difference for the $1k is an E61 head, boiler sizes, temp steam control on 600, and looks from what I can read. Not sure if the $1k is justified...what do you guys think?

I might be going overkill too but I am worried that once the kids (3) are also drinking coffees (which is starting now) that I will want more power, and don't want to be that person that upgrades within 12 months...which I am very prone to.

Looking for some advice...and is there any other machines between the 2 that are worth looking at (also considered a Lelit Elizabeth but didn't like the look - Must haves would be DB, shot timer, PID, <30min heat time)?

thanks

As is always noted with queries like yours, you need to allow for a decent grinder in your budget. Allow $500+ as a min. You'll get plenty of suggestions.

If you can stretch the extra bit the Profitec 600 sounds ideal and you won't be thinking of upgrading for a very long time if at all. The Profitec 500 Hx machine is also well regarded here on CS but doesn't offer quite the same temp adjustability or control as the 600 but will meet your requirements. If you're going to also look at a Hx (Heat Exchanger) machine, the ECM machines are worth a serious look too. They are a sister brand to Profitec and argueably a little better finished.

Shop around and use the CS quote form to get a package price for the machine and grinder. There seems to be a bit of price fixing around but occassionaly you'll find a really good deal. Don't forget to use a reputable retailer that you can go back to for advice and servicing.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks mate - forgot to add I have a 2nd hand T64 grinder already set aside!
    Dimal, CafeLotta and level3ninja like this.

Dflaks, while you will probably use a timer, so it won't matter for the fist coffee of the day, if you are likely to have guests or mid morning coffee I would factor in heat up time. The 600 looks streets better, but I am guessing it may take three times as long to heat up. At a very rough guess 10+ mins for the 300 and 30+ mins for the 600.

Be aware that both the 300 and 600 need to have the shot manually started and stopped, there's no timed or volumetric shot control. This will be a slightly steeper but faster learning process. Depending on the length of the barista course, I would suggest trying to get some practice with manually timing and stopping the shot. I would also highly recommend you buy some 0.1g scales to weigh both your dose into the portafilter and yield out in the cup. If you buy something like Brewista 2 ($80) or Acaia Lunar ($300) they have timers built in. They both have various timer modes where you can set the to start when the first drop hits the cup or start when you put the cup on the scale, so if you put the cup down when you move the lever it will time from the beginning of the shot.

I was in a similar situation to you and opt'd for a 600. I can't sing it's praises more highly! It's not cheap, but if you have the $$ I wouldn't think twice in recommending it. I actually was the same, looking at the Lelit's as cheaper option. I spent way too much time researching the forums and found too many threads with issues of Lelit's premature failure and people upgrading, so I wasn't comfortable buying a Lelit when the Profitec was such a well regarded, "German" made, and nice looking unit. Check out some youtube videos of the internals of the Profitec / ECM's compared to some other brands. You can really see the quality difference and understand what you're paying for.

The unit looks amazing and just works. We typically make 2-4 coffees and day and then when entertaining it's up to 10x coffee's. The 600 never misses a beat and I'm always the slowest factor, never have to wait for the boiler to refill etc. The Mrs finds the 600 really easy to use as well, which makes life easier!

I use the shot timer as the primary and then weigh every shot with the Acaia to keep the grinder precise. I don't find it an issue at all being manual and not volumetric. It's actually enjoyable being involved.

The 600 will heat the boilers in just over 10mins, tho keep in mind this is the boilers not the group. When using in a rush I'll run a good amount of water through to bring the group up to temp, otherwise I use a wifi smart plug to have the machine turn on 40mins before I need each morning.

Just 2cents to end with. Be ready for a massive learning curve going from pods to espresso... You really need to invest the time in learning everything to get the most out of it, otherwise you'll be disappointed.

20181218_193230.jpg
    CafeLotta, SanderP and 338 like this.

Nugmo, before singing the praises of your German made espresso machine, probably worth watching this video with a 'Sneak peak of the Profitec 600 from its Milan, Italy factory' - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ebdzV7dExa8

Easy misconception to make. Reminds of when a BMW Z3 owner parked his car next to mine many years back and said 'two nice German cars together'. He looked puzzled when I told him I liked the look of the American car, was shell shocked when I explained Iwas talking about his car.

Hopefully after realising your machine is Italian, you didn't own a 70s Alfa or Fiat
    Dimal and SanderP like this.

Thanks for the replies guys...and yeah the 600 looks so much better on the bench too. I think what happens in my job in the next month or so will determine the outcome of this one!!! Later

Thanks 338, I know they are made in Italy, the owners and engineering are German . The higher end models are still made in Germany, while the others in Italy. Same with ECM https://clivecoffee.com/blogs/learn/...tec-in-germany
    Regardless not a pertinent point on the topic, I was more so applying to the design, standards and quality being "German". More so a quality comparison against Lelit.

Another Profitec 600 video from Whole Latte Love to back-up their earlier factory tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB0eg0hG638

I recently bought the Profitec Pro 600 from Di Bartoli and I absolutely love it! The price was hard to justify (it took me 6 months to save up for it), but I don't regret it. I love the countdown timer. I get a consistent shot every time, and I love that there's no down time between brewing and frothing. Takes about 15 minutes to heat up in the morning. It looks fab on the bench, and has a reasonably small footprint for a dual boiler. The only flaw is that there's no way to check the water level without taking the cup warmer off the top of the machine and peering down into the tank. There's no low water warning either, the machine just stops working when the water level is too low. But apart from that this machine is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by yulia001 View Post
    I recently bought the Profitec Pro 600 from Di Bartoli and I absolutely love it! The price was hard to justify (it took me 6 months to save up for it), but I don't regret it. I love the countdown timer.
    Always wondered what temp the PID displays immediately after you complete brewing a shot and the Timer changes back to Temp? I'm yet to see this clearly on a Video.

Quote Originally Posted by dflaks View Post
    Hi everyone

As a beginner it sounds like a good DB is probably easier to learn and to live with so I have pretty much nailed it down to the 2 Profitec's (300 and 600). The only real difference for the $1k is an E61 head, boiler sizes, temp steam control on 600, and looks from what I can read. Not sure if the $1k is justified...what do you guys think?
    Hi dflaks, what machine did you end up purchasing? I ended up with a Profitec Pro 300, I do recommend it. Heat up time is quick, PID for brew temp, shot timer, small footprint, clean external design, quick heat up time.

Making 10 coffees would be tough but the machine is up for it. Steam pressure is quite average but it will still do the job.

Cheers,

pr1nce
    JetBlack_Espresso likes this.