Thread: Expobar office automatic - good value?

Expobar office automatic - good value?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im helping a friend buy an HX machine. I am using a Sunbeam 6910 and he wants something "better" but he loves the volumetrics and one criteria is that the machine can deliver 30 or 60 mls with a press of a button.

My research has led me to the Expobar auto which has this feature. So my questions are ...

1. Is this the best value HX machine with volumetrics?
    2. Why hasnt this model been mentioned much on this site?
    3. Are there other more expensive auto HX machines out there worth spending the extra on?

Re: Expobar office automatic - good value?

Hi barri...

I guess one of the main reasons you dont see too much mention of automatics is they are far more expensive and far less reliable than their semi-automatic equivalents (said as the owner of one - who wishes it wasnt ;))....

I DONT use the volumetric feature on mine (except for cooling flushes ::))... why - because you want to stop the pour not at 30ml or 60ml but at the first sign of blonding..... you might only end up with 50ml of great espresso from a double - but it will be great espresso.... add the 10ml which the volumetric will do..... and quality will go down - heaps....

So I use mine as a semi-auto (and when the computer board fails - and it will - it is getting ripped out and my La Cimbali will become a real semi auto).

However if your friend does really want an automatic - the Expobar would be a good choice.... along with several other automatics....

As long as he/she realises the ongoing cost will be higher and he/she might end up using it as a semi-auto - as I do (They will then have paid a lot extra for nothing :-/).

Re: Expobar office automatic - good value?

Thanks JavaB.

I did explain to my friend the same issues that have you have raised but he still insists on the one press method of delivering 30 or 60 mls. He says he likes the idea of texturing the milk and not having to worry about watching the coffee. I think hes too set in his ways. (Sounds like my wife!)
    Anyway the expobar auto can be found for well under $2000 which seems reasonable for a machine of this type. Are there any others in this price bracket and are there any coffee snobs out there who own this machine who could share their opinions on its reliability and serviceability.