Thread: New Boy with Cimbali Junior & Grinder

New Boy with Cimbali Junior & Grinder

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello Everyone. Im the new boy on the block so first let me thank Andy for his welcome.

A couple of weeks or so ago, I bought a GAGGIA Classic but circumstances changed & I was (in my view) lucky enough to virtually bump into somebody that was having unfortunate marriage problems & I was able to buy (steal?) their CIMBALI Junior S/1 Espresso machine & their Junior Grinder both of which whilst apparently 5 or 6 years old, appear to be in excellent condition. I paid Euros 400 (about US$536 or AU$680) for the two machines.

I dont have any instructions for either machine but whilst they both work well, I appreciate everything needs maintenance sooner or later. Im particularly concerned about the cleaning of the Junior S/1 as I know scale can build up in various areas & Id not want that to get too advanced. Ive now way of knowing how advanced it might already be but the coffee is great at the moment. Im using Santa Cristina coffee which is probably the most popular in all the Spanish bars (I live in southern Spain). Any hints, tips & guides or instructions would be especially welcome from such an experienced lot as you all seem to be & Im glad to join your group. Thanks. David

Re: New Boy with Cimbali Junior & Grinder

Hello Espanol David

Sounds like you got a real steal there - thats like A$3000 worth plus plus for A$680. Yikes.

If its all working well, you may not need to do anything for a while, other than make sure you use soft water (eg. Reverse Osmosis filtered if your local water is hard). That way, if there is any scale, it wont get any worse.

If you ignore maintenance for long enough, like, about 20 years, it may get to look like my machine (which is an earlier version of your machine) - check it out at http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1174998951 !

Im no expert, but it sounds like you dont need to worry much as its making good coffee. Maybe run some commercial descaler through it at some point, thats all. And make sure you use soft water.

All the best, si?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by slowdown link=1187265607/0#1 date=1188301635
    Hello DVH - welcome to coffee snobs.

Sounds like you got a real steal there - thats like A$3000 worth plus plus for A$680. Yikes.

If its all working well, you may not need to do anything for a while, other than make sure you use soft water (eg. RO filtered if your local water is hard).

If you ignore maintenance for long enough, it may get to look like my machine - check it out at http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1174998951 !

Without knowing the general condition, its hard to say what you need to do, and I am no expert. I suggest you hunt around - you might turn up a link like http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1174998951 , which should be quite informative for your situation.

All the best, si?
    Hi David and Slowdown,

To correct the above statements, NO WAY is RO water suitable unless its remineralised. Untreated RO kills machines by leaching metal ions from all surfaces- including that of the boiler. If you live in a hard water area, the options are filtered softened (bottled) water, tank water (also filtered), installation of a suitable underbench filtration system or remineralised RO- which is very expensive to install.

Beware!

2mcm

Hey Chris,

What about those Brita filter that you can get form supermarket? Are those suitable?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by freddiman link=1187265607/0#3 date=1188304696
    Hey Chris,

What about those Brita filter that you can get form supermarket? Are those suitable?
    Sure- but in areas of hard water, youll kill one in a matter of days or weeks ;)

Well there you go! Learn something new every day.

Now to solve my own water problem, which I thought I had covered.

Sigh.

BTW David - you can find just about everything in the universe you need to know about the Junior by searching on www.home-barista.com.

http://www.home-barista.com/junior-buyers-guide.html

is a very good place to start.