Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Lyrebird
  • 1 Post By dbun
  • 1 Post By dbun

Thread: Shower screen options for Bezzera BZ10

Shower screen options for Bezzera BZ10

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi fellow snobs, it's been a while between posts. I've been in the background enjoying my time with the BZ10 and steadily getting the routine refined. I'm happy with the taste and consistency of my shots, but know in the back of my mind there is always room for improvement. I've bought a few bits for the machine to help with this and the shower screen is one area I need to get sorted. I bought (through some advice) an IMS shower screen that has worked ok, but I don't think it is the right one for the BZ10.

The screen I bought is from the RA series (Rancilio) as the internal diameter fits the the outer recess on shower head of this machine (56mm):
    IMG_8638.jpg

The problem with this screen is the centre hole doesn't have the rebate for the screw head to be recessed, so it sits proud of the screen. When you tighten the screw, it feels as though the screen is flexed into a concave plane, so in my mind it's not allowing the water to hit the puck flat and level. I actually damaged it slightly in a lazy moment when changing the group head seal recently .

All of the IMS screens that fit this dimension of my shower head are missing this rebate, so I don't think they are suitable.

The other option I'm thinking about is getting a screen that fits the inner rebate on the shower head at 52mm:
    IMG_8639.jpg
    This points me towards the CI series screens. Do you think any of these would be a good option? They look to have the rebate for the screw. And I'm also not sure about what level of filtration to go for? I understand the finer level leaves your machine cleaner, but I'm after the flattest screen descriptions in the IMS catalogue are not clear as to which screen works better for this? (p. 27-28 of the catalogue http://www.imsfiltri.com/wp-content/...-Catalogue.pdf)
    Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 1.10.25 pm.jpg

I'd love to hear some feedback of those in the know

G'Day Azzabee, good to hear from you again.

Probably not what you want to hear, but, what's wrong with the Bezzera screen, I've found Bezzera usually get it pretty right in this are.

Daily water back flush and weekly with chemical should take care of the cleaning and leave the area under the group head spotless.

Thanks Yelta. Youíre probably right, I guess Iím trying to give myself the best chance of the best cup.

I hear what you say, nothing wrong with experimenting, some times it can lead to pleasant surprises.

You say you want a flat screen, and you have one that fits, and is flat. So you are saying the issue is the taper in the dispersion plate.
    As a trial, get a couple of stainless washers that can fill the taper, and allow the shower screen to sit at your required flatness.
    If that works well, chop and drill the head of a countersunk screw to make a correct fitting washer.
    The couple of stainless washers will only cost a dollar or so

You could also go to a button head retainer screw, I think they are a touch flatter

You could also press that divot into the screen. Might need a vice and a couple of sockets and a countersunk screw.

That's what I did when I put an IMS screen in the Rancilio machine I gave to my sister.

I used a countersunk allen head screw to force the screen into shape then went back to the original screw to hold the screen in place.

Works well.
    level3ninja and Azzabee like this.

I have an IMS screen with my Bezzera BZ10 too - it came with the machine when I bought it.
    Honestly, I don’t think there’s a difference between the IMS and stock screen ‘in the cup’.

The only benefit I’ve noticed is that the mesh on the IMS is very fine, which means it rarely gets clogged as less grinds seem to pass through - in my routine full clean when I pull out the screen there is never any clogged holes etc whereas with the stock screen there would be some residue on the rear-side that needed to be cleaned away.
    Azzabee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    You could also press that divot into the screen. Might need a vice and a couple of sockets and a countersunk screw.
    I thought about modifying it when it came, but I think there more chance of making it worse. The centre bore of the screen is bigger than the standard screw diameter. So if itís not perfectly central you will put the taper off-centre and possibly introduce another gremlin.

But itís worth a try, Iíve got nothing to lose, I can always go back to the stock screen.

The screen I have is the one that sits inside the inner circle of the brass dispersion block.

not sure if it makes a difference, but the BZ10 is known for having less headroom as the shower screen sits low, so having it recessed within the inner circle makes it sit flush and may gain a mm or two.
    Azzabee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dbun View Post
    The screen I have is the one that sits inside the inner circle of the brass dispersion block.

not sure if it makes a difference, but the BZ10 is known for having less headroom as the shower screen sits low, so having it recessed within the inner circle makes it sit flush and may gain a mm or two.
    I was hoping someone might confirm this works ok. Good info, thanks.