Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lyrebird
  • 1 Post By Jackster

Thread: Astoria CKXE questions

Astoria CKXE questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Snobs- Long time lurker here!

I have recently scored myself an awesome little Astoria CKXE. Everything works on it- although the adjustable boiler temperature is a bit hit and miss.

The question I have is in regards to the hot water switch circuit. I notice that there is a solenoid and needle valve coming from the pump and into the hot water line (tea function?). I understand this would be to adjust how hot the water is coming from the hot water nozzle. Is the pump supposed to run when using this function? mine isn't- and I think it should be as I only have steam.
    I put a jumper cable from the solenoid to the pump so when the solenoid opened- the pump would push cold water into the hot delivery. a bit rough but it proved my point - and the needle valve adjusted nicely to get a good temperature.

Is it the Gicar that controls this? My one has been fiddled with so theres a possibility my one has been wired incorrectly- a technician was trying to sort out a pump issue (it wasn't the issue- 3 way valve had dodgy coil).

I've attached photos of Gicar and needle valve.
    Attached Images Attached Images

According to the Gicar label that function, if it exists, would be controlled by the microcontroller.

I wouldn't worry about it: tea made with boiler water is undrinkable anyway.
    Jackster likes this.

No- I definitely wouldn't use it for tea- I like to rinse out the portafilter/ heat cups etc with it. At the moment its basically an extra large diameter steam wand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    According to the Gicar label that function, if it exists, would be controlled by the microcontroller.

I wouldn't worry about it: tea made with boiler water is undrinkable anyway.
    Aha! I knew if I waited and watched, there would be a answer....
    My Musica runs the hot water through the hx to heat it, it's not boiler water. Now I know why!
    260zman likes this.