Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dischucker
  • 1 Post By fg1972

Thread: Should I set my Expobar Leva/Lever from 11 bar to 9 bar?

Should I set my Expobar Leva/Lever from 11 bar to 9 bar?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I have been using my expobar leva for 2+years now using the default settings of 11 bar (with blind filter). The distributor has recommended to keep it at 11 bar so I never changed it. The main difference is that at 11 bars, the brew will flow faster than "like honey" as with the higher end machines at 9 bars.

So I am contemplating on changing the pressure to 9 bars and I wonder if anyone have done this to their expobar and if they had any issues with that?

Thanks
    Kelvin Wong

Search YouTube, as I vaguely remember a Whole Latte Love video where they set the OVP for a Expobar. Think they set it to 10 with blind filter to get 9 during an extraction.
    Dimal and BobSac like this.

My VBM Super DB came set at 11 bar, also. There was an interview on EspressoTV with one of the manufacturers in Milan (I forget who) where they explained that they set the vib pump machines to 11 bar "because the pump is so much smaller than a rotary pump." I do not understand this logic, and set mine to 10 with a blind filter, and set 9.5 as my target.

Hi there,
    If you're comfortable to do it, give it a shot. Just mark the position of the screw so you can easily put it back if you don't like it.
    In regards to slowing down the extraction to be honey like, reducing the pump pressure might help but you should be able to change the flow by altering your grind, dose and tamp.
    Cheers.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yasbean View Post
    My VBM Super DB came set at 11 bar, also. There was an interview on EspressoTV with one of the manufacturers in Milan (I forget who) where they explained that they set the vib pump machines to 11 bar "because the pump is so much smaller than a rotary pump." I do not understand this logic, and set mine to 10 with a blind filter, and set 9.5 as my target.
    Because the rotary pump has a lot more flow capability, it can be set lower, but will maintain a higher pressure throughout the pour. Whereas, the vibe pump will drop off in pressure faster than rotary, as it can't keep up with the flow at the mid pour pressure.
    I would suggest that a rotary pump machine set to the same pressure as a vibe, would need a finer grind to slow the pour.